9 Posts

Fresco» Forums » General

Subject: Question about buying paints or lack thereof rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Baumann
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a question about the ability to buy paint or the inability to. We were playing today and noticed that if you are not able to get to the market first or second, then all the paints can technically be completely unavailable for the people in third or fourth place. So, if you're in 3rd or 4th place in the wake-up list for a stretch of time, all you can do is buy portraits and max out your mood until the folks in 3rd/4th place are able to get the opportunity to get to the market first/second and have paints available to buy. To us, this seemed to be a broken mechanic, because the person in last place on the scoring track theoretically has no incentive to move from that spot, so they can keep on going to the market first each and every time if they want by choosing the earliest wakeup time, mitigating losing mood by sending an apprentice or two to the theater. In short, folks in the last place in the scoring track can keep buying paints until they can send someone to the cathedral, and late comers to the mkt are always seemingly SOL when it comes to being able to buy paint due to the booths being completely cleaned out once an apprentice buys one tile from it. Anyone have any ideas or notice this paint/market problem??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are there not 4 markets to buy from?

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you've got a rule wrong somewhere. There is one market per player in the game. If you send three apprentices to the "market", they visit ONE market stall and buy up to three tiles from that one stall. Then that one stall closes. Getting up later probably means you get to the stalls with the poorer selections, but at least it's cheap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Baumann
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok. It is not very clear from the rules that the apprentices you allocate to the market can all choose from ONE and only one designated booth. We had been playing where each player's apprentice allocated to the market visited a DIFFERENT booth. Mebbe a translation issue, methinks. All the rules say is "Each of the player’s apprentices deployed at the “market” column may buy 1 market tile from the selected booth". To me that's not clear if each apprentice selects from the same booth as his fellows or each one selects a DIFFERENT booth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there've been one or two other threads about this already, so you're not the only one who thought that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulb1988 wrote:
Ah, ok. It is not very clear from the rules that the apprentices you allocate to the market can all choose from ONE and only one designated booth. We had been playing where each player's apprentice allocated to the market visited a DIFFERENT booth. Mebbe a translation issue, methinks. All the rules say is "Each of the player’s apprentices deployed at the “market” column may buy 1 market tile from the selected booth". To me that's not clear if each apprentice selects from the same booth as his fellows or each one selects a DIFFERENT booth.

Actually, the rules are pretty clear on this:

Fresco Rules wrote:
First the active player selects one of the available market booths and then decides to perform one of the two following actions:

* Buy paints or * Close down market booth

Each of the player’s apprentices deployed at the "market" column may buy 1 market tile from the selected booth. Each tile can be bought only once. The purchase price depends on the player’s previously chosen get up time.

Emphasis added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerod garland
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, this game would kinda suck if you could never get paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:

I think this is case where the formatting hurts. The "select a booth first" part is on one page, then you have to flip the page. By the time some folks get to the next page, they've forgotten that first part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

I think this is case where the formatting hurts. The "select a booth first" part is on one page, then you have to flip the page. By the time some folks get to the next page, they've forgotten that first part.

Yeah, I thought of that as I was copy-pasting the language. I love the look of rules in Queen Games, but their formatting can occasionally leave important information hard to locate and/or remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.