Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the old hands, how many dice do you generally try to have available when you attack each General (excluding the presence of rerolls, quest rewards, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tarheel wrote:
For the old hands, how many dice do you generally try to have available when you attack each General (excluding the presence of rerolls, quest rewards, etc.).

There are 'old hands' already?? This game hasn't even been released in the UK yet ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"old hands" being relative

I suppose I'm posing the question to anyone who has played 5 to 7 games or more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm not an 'old hand' but since all generals except Gorgutt have a less than 50% of being hit by each die it is the safe bet to make sure the grand total is at least 2x the general maximum HP if they're at full health. But that is being cautious. If you did have abilities that allow you better odds, or, you were feeling especially lucky, you will be able to get away with less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's some basic probability stuff done with the rules and pictures of General cards we have available. The following is the number of dice you need against a full-health General in order to have a 50% chance of victory. All calculations include the General's Combat Skill, but ignore Hero abilities, Quest cards, or any other miscellaneous modifier.

Balazarg of the Demons: 14.4 dice
3 numbers on the die give +1 hit, the other 3 have no effect. 1 in 6 dice will be nullified by the Combat Skill (using cards that grant 2 dice only increase variability in possible effects of the Combat Skill, not the expected average outcome). Expected # of hits per die is 0.5, before taking into account the Combat Skill. Since you need 6 hits, that's 12 dice, plus another 2.4 to lose to the Combat Skill.

Gorgutt of the Orcs: 12 dice
4 numbers on the die give +1 hit, 1 number gives -1 hit, and the last number has no effect. Expected # of hits per die is 0.5. You need 6 hits.

Sapphire of the Dragons: 12 dice
2 numbers on the die give +1 hit, the other 4 have no effect. Expected # of hits per die is 0.33 (repeating, of course). You need 4 hits.

Varkolak of the Undead: 10 dice
3 numbers on the die give +1 hit, the other 3 have no effect. Expected # of hits per die is 0.5. You need 5 hits.

In order to give the number of dice for say, 80% or 90%, I'll have to relearn more probability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I'm still "empty hands" waiting patiently for my pre-order to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
We generally plan on having at LEAST 2x the number of max. wounds that the General has in dice to attack with. We tend to go higher for the dragon (hits on 5) and the demon general (cards lost on 1's before combat). Could plan for a lesser number, especially for Gorgutt and that darned parry of his...... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im_robertb wrote:

Sapphire of the Dragons: 12 dice
2 numbers on the die give +1 hit, the other 4 have no effect. Expected # of hits per die is 0.33 (repeating, of course). You need 4 hits.

LEROOOOOOY JENKIIIIIIINS!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred CS
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmb
Haha, yes! You beat me to it DoomTurtle...as soon as I saw "repeating of course" I was rolling. Thanks for the enthusiasm and interest you all are showing in the game.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.