Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I found the rules a bit unclear as to how to place bonus markers. It sounds to me if you claim a bonus marker you can take one from the reserve then place it at the end of your turn. Does it have to be placed on an available Inn or can you place it on any route you'de like?

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be placed on any route that does not have a trader or merchant. It must be clear of all pieces. Besides that, it can be placed on any route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
It can be placed on any route that does not have a trader or merchant. It must be clear of all pieces. Besides that, it can be placed on any route.

Well... *technically* it can't be placed between two full cities, but that hardly ever comes up in the games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you claim a bonus marker you draw (but do not look at) a new bonus marker. You do this immediately, because if the bonus marker pile is empty when you try to draw a new one the game ends at the end of this action (not at the end of the turn).

2. When your turn is done, then you flip over all of your newly drawn bonus markers.

3. They can be placed (one at a time) on any route that meets the following criteria.

a. The route has no traders or merchants on it.
b. The route has no bonus marker on it.
c. At least one open kontor space exists in a city next to the route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This raises a side question, which I believe my group has answered correctly, but I would like some confirmation: Can you complete a trade route and take a bonus marker if you are unable to place a kontor in either of the cities? (Assume neither city has an alternative benefit.) The rules seem to say that you get the bonus marker whether or not you choose to place a kontor, but it's not clear whether that means you can complete the trade route and take the bonus marker if you can't place a kontor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
This raises a side question, which I believe my group has answered correctly, but I would like some confirmation: Can you complete a trade route and take a bonus marker if you are unable to place a kontor in either of the cities? (Assume neither city has an alternative benefit.) The rules seem to say that you get the bonus marker whether or not you choose to place a kontor, but it's not clear whether that means you can complete the trade route and take the bonus marker if you can't place a kontor.

Yes. There are no requirements to place a kontor, you could simply be doing it for the points for example.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. That's how we were playing, but it's good to have some degree of confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Yes. There are no requirements to place a kontor, you could simply be doing it for the points for example.

We've been playing that wrong. Oops! I don't think it has been the difference between the winner and the rest in any of our games, but it could have made a difference in the placing. I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Key rules quote for people wondering where this was actually written:

"Note that even if you do not meet the requirements or if all houses in both cities terminating a trading route are busy you still may establish a new trading route – someone will obtain prestige points (see section a), and you may gain a bonus marker (see section b)."

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Voisin
United States
Haslett
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
jdludlow wrote:
1. When you claim a bonus marker you draw (but do not look at) a new bonus marker. You do this immediately, because if the bonus marker pile is empty when you try to draw a new one the game ends at the end of this action (not at the end of the turn).

2. When your turn is done, then you flip over all of your newly drawn bonus markers.

3. They can be placed (one at a time) on any route that meets the following criteria.

Quick note for strategy.......

If you have control of 2 cities; of one trade route, place the BM (especially if it is a juicy one) between them. That way, whomever is going to fight over getting that BM, YOU will at least gain 2 VP's after someone claims it, It might deter someone from trying for the BM if you are close to the 20 VP's goal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Renaud
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently it as been the winning strategy in our group to rush for the bonus marker and place it between route where you control both end. On the next turn if no one as gone there, You can reactivate that route to gain 2 points and another bonus marker. Or course there is some defense against that strategy, but it's still a strong strategy that you must not ignore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chao-Yue Lai
msg tools
jdludlow wrote:

The third criterion is different from my understanding of the English rule I have. The English rule states:

"...the following limitations: the route must be empty; it must have an adjacent city with at least 1 office in it; and it must not already contain a Bonus Marker."

I interpret the "at least 1 office" here as the merchant/trader a player places in the city instead of an empty space in the city, which in the rulebook is referred as "an empty office space", and the merchants/traders placed in the cities are referred as "offices" as in "Establish an Office".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
colbylai wrote:
The English rule states:

"...the following limitations: the route must be empty; it must have an adjacent city with at least 1 office in it; and it must not already contain a Bonus Marker."

I interpret the "at least 1 office" here as the merchant/trader a player places in the city instead of an empty space in the city, which in the rulebook is referred as "an empty office space", and the merchants/traders placed in the cities are referred as "offices" as in "Establish an Office".

This has been noted as a typo. It is supposed to be "at least 1 empty office space."

See this thread (which also covers another mistake when calculating network bonuses): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/561705/new-info-on-z-man...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.