Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this up about a month ago over at the FFG forum and it was brought up once again in a small review over at FFG.

Most games or every game I have played create diversity in terms of stats (attack, speed, etc) and special abilities/traits.

Just about every character has the same layout 2/4/4 (2 attack, 4 speed, 4 Mind)

What really drives diversity among characters are the special abilities and to another extent (perhaps smaller) the arcana cards.

Can the special abilities alone allow enough diversity among characters and tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game 5 times this past weekend, and I can assure that the special abilities due make all of the characters unique (although they could have been more diversified through stats). Their special abilities make you play them in very distinct ways.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The special abilities helped some for sure, but we were actually pretty disappointed when we found out all the stats were the same. We think it would have been more fun to have different numbers in the stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to use your Arcana wisely. They add a lot to helping/hindering characters. That helps in keeping this game run smoothly, fast, and as a board game instead of a skirmish type miniature game. I feel like I am repeating myself in these threads. LOL! Having the same stats is not a bad thing. The special abilities add the flavor and Arcana cards temporarily change the stats for those special moves you need in order to accomplish goals or surprise opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an easy way of fixing the character stats if make updated cards. Provide a PDF and issue them in an expansion.

Players get 12 action tokens rather than 7

Combat, movement and lock picking (mind)

Some characters will have a higher combat value but it will cost more action tokens to use there combat

Example

1 character has a combat value of 6 but requires 5 tokens to use.

1 character has a combat value of 2 but only requires 1 token to use.

1 Character has a speed of 2 needing 2 tokens to use

1 character has a speed of 4 needing 1 token to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is way too complicated. The game is quick to learn and easier for people to consider strategy than maximizing each character's usefulness. Maximizing the utility of each character's special ability matched up with Arcana cards provides plenty of strategic moves. A bunch of extra rules would only bog down this elegant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.