Subject: Introductory Card-Driven Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'd really like to explore the world of card-driven games such as Twilight Struggle and Washington's War, but I'm concerned that they might be a bit much for beginners. What would be a good game to learn/teach/introduce this kind of game system to myself and others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Struggle is perfect for beginners. The rules are straightforward with few exceptions, the gameplay is intuitive, and the historical theme appeals to a broad section of people. It was my wife's first CDG, and after a few games, she's already itching to go deeper into the genre. I couldn't recommend it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wulf

Springfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my research (not experience, although it is on order), 1960: The Making of the President is good place to start for a beginner...a little more manageable then something like Twilight Struggle right off the bat from what I hear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players, the above two mentioned are great. If you have more than 2 players I would suggest Founding Fathers. It is very easy to pick up, and plays pretty quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
No straightforward answer from me. That being said, I would recommend Twilight Struggle IF you are willing to accept a learning curve. The thing about TS (IMO) is that it starts to shine after a few games. I liked it the first time I played it but only after game no 3 did the full fascination kick in. I also know that friends I introduces this game to were initially underwhelmed. The complexity of the deck and the interaction of the cards can make it a little intimidating or take some of the fun away as you are struggling to get a hold of the deeper mechanics.
My first CDG war Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and while it has a simpler deck with less complexity it is still a deep game because of the double military-policital layers in the game. It is my understanding that Washington's War has streamlined the Hannibal-system quite a bit. So from everything I have read so far Washington's War should be the best way to approach CDG:
- comparatively short playing time
- streamlined rules yet enough complexity to provide for a deep experience
- faster dice-based combat and overall low counter count

However, I am not really trying to argue against Twilight Struggle. The biggest problem for a new player is probably the sheer amount of choices he/she is confronted with at the begining. Only when you get to know the cards better will you understand that some of the apparent initial choices are not viable after all and you will get more direction. If you are willing to go through this potentially difficult initial phase you will find an extremely satisfying game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Espana 1936 is a simpler CDG...I found it lost it's repaly value after several plays, but looks nice and covers an interesting period of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
Espana 1936 is a simpler CDG...I found it lost it's repaly value after several plays, but looks nice and covers an interesting period of history.

Except it's not a CDG in the same sense as the OP is using. You could play an entire game of España 1936 without using a single card (not saying that's an effective strategy). Hard to be card driven when you're never forced to play a card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:
I'd really like to explore the world of card-driven games such as Twilight Struggle and Washington's War, but I'm concerned that they might be a bit much for beginners. What would be a good game to learn/teach/introduce this kind of game system to myself and others?

TS is easy to learn but hard to master. Washington's War is a nice straightforward wargame that happens to be card driven and I think it would make an excellent introduction to the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.