Subject: Android phone vs. iPhone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
This is a "holy war" question for some people, so I thought I'd post it in the RSP.

So I'm looking to get my first smart phone, although not immediately.

I like the whole Android open source idea and I don't like AT&T.

My wife has an iTouch. We tried out the Motorola Droid X at our local Verizon store, and my wife says the iPhone GUI seems much nicer to work with. Also, the Droid has much less memory than her 64GB iTouch. I want to like the Android but those things seem like pretty big negatives.

Do you think the Android OS and its smart phones will get significantly better in the near future? Any significant factors I'm leaving out, in weighing Android vs. iPhone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
"Android phone vs. iPhone"

The T Store down the street has a poster with this written on it.

The Android logo make a better phone charm so I predict their conquest based on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What BJ said. Especially the edit.

Disclaimer - I have a Droid. I wouldn't trade it for an iPhone under any circumstance short of being promised daily sex with a barely legal teen, a new pick-up truck and $5,000 per week for incidentals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I wouldn't trade it for an iPhone under any circumstance short of being promised daily sex with a barely legal teen, a new pick-up truck and $5,000 per week for incidentals.

You have such an entitlement mentality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend an Android phone as well, based mostly on the wider array of choices you get--you can choose from multiple phones, multiple service providers, and you aren't locked down into specific software with which to interface your phone and computer. Aside from that, I prefer Google's business practices to Apple in general, and I also don't like AT&T.
The Android OS is continually being improved (come on, dual-touch!), so if you like the phones you've seen, you should definitely get one.

I don't have a Droid X, but like BJ said, with my phone I'm able to put in an SD card if I want more memory for storing music and whatnot.

My girlfriend has an iPhone and I have an iPad touch. I do think they get a lot of the nicer apps so far, the processing speed of the iPhone is very impressive, and I personally think the iPhone has a bit more intuitive GUI. But that's about all I like about them when compared with Android phones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought iPhones only went to 32gig of memory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I'd probably make the decision based more on what other people you know have. I find the benefits of knowing other people who are knowledgeable about my technology hugely persuasive.

I actually appreciate the curated computing paradigm of iOS, because it means I don't have to worry about a good deal of the BS I used to have to be constantly vigilant about with my PC. It's also relatively consistent across phones--apparently the version of Android you get depends significantly on who makes the handset, and there's more fragmentation. So openness is a bit of a double-edged sword (though I'm certainly sensible of the benefits).

Facetime is a potentially big deal. With two kids and two sets of distant grandparents, we've used the computer to do Skype video chats, and they've really enjoyed that. When there's a facetime-capable iPad, which I expect within a year, I look forward to being able to get one for my parents and have slightly more flexible options for such chats which don't effectively require a phone call to arrange first (as well a computer my mom can finally use).

I do think Android, both the phones and the software, will be improving faster than iOS devices, and are already pretty exciting. Since AT&T has good coverage in my city, I was fairly happy to take the plunge on an iPhone, and just re-evaluate in two years, when Android will have matured some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
bjlillo wrote:
edit: Almost forgot, Fuck Obama.

Thanks. Until this, I was a little afraid the admins might delete this thread for containing non-RSP content.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GUI:
The iPhone interface is simpler and more intuitive. The Android interface is more complicated (4 buttons vs. 1) but also far more customizable (for example, you can have 'widgets' on your home screen). Almost anyone will know how to use an iPhone right out of the box, but it will take you several weeks to learn the ins and outs of an Android device (and you may find the additional versatility very useful, or you may find all the extra clutter frustrating to sort through).

Software:
The iPhone currently has more and better apps. The "more" part probably won't last very long at all, but this won't be to anyone's benefit, as no one really cares about a wider variety of junk apps. As for "better", well, it may happen someday, but since the average iPhone user spends more on apps than the average Android user, most companies are developing for iPhone first and Android second.

Service:
As I'm sure you're aware, you can get an Android device on any service, and the iPhone only on AT&T (in the US). Service varies from region to region, so you should investigate which is the best in your area. If you're eagerly listening to iPhone-to-Verizon rumors, I'd expect this to happen, but not before Q1 2011.

Hardware:
With an iPhone, you're looking at Apple hardware, which is both high-quality and attractive. Android devices are made by a growing number of different manufacturers. If you choose Android, you'll have the additional step of deciding which Android device is best for you.

Peripherals:
There are already a large number of devices that hook into the iPhone/iPod port (speakers, etc.). These are slower to come for Android, particularly because the physical design of the device varies greatly by manufacturer and model. However, it is worth noting that Android devices use a standard micro-USB port, making it easier to find and replace wires. Additionally, Android devices will typically allow you to upgrade your hard drive and battery, which you cannot do on an iPhone.

For the record, I currently use a Motorola Droid, and my next phone will be another Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite satisfied with my Samsung galaxy spica with android. It does pretty much everything an Iphone does except multi touch. Another advantage is that it is quite a bit cheaper than the Iphone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key questions are:

- How important is the cost of both the phone and monthly service?
- How much patience do you have for the hiccups of open source software? (although that said, my wife's HTC Hero has had very few issues over the last year, and she like to run the new beta OS whenever possible)
- How likely are you to want customization that the iPhone won't allow? - Even when all the Android users have a cool feature and you don't?
- How willing are you to pay for apps vs. just do without?

When she got her Android phone, she spent almost an hour downloading free timer apps, trying to find one with specific features for timing physical therapy exercises (i.e. measures N seconds while voicing the time remaining every M seconds, beeps, automatically starts measuring N seconds again). If that kind of customization is important to you, open source is key. If that kind of downloading and trying homemade apps sounds annoying, get the iPhone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
DWTripp wrote:
... daily sex with a barely legal teen, a new pick-up truck and $5,000 per week for incidentals.
You could find time to spend 5K in these circumstances? Hows about $2K and 2 hotties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies about the Android. Very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.