Subject: Really Cheap and Really Good... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My local game store is kind enough to let us use their back room for game nights for free, but the owner has occasionally mentioned that our group doesn't move as much product as others for whome they provide this service. The price point for a lot of "our games" keeps them from being real impulse buy fodder, so I'm looking to compile a decent list of really cheap, really good games that are likely to get people spending money at my FLGS.

Coloretto, Archaeology: The Card Game, and Saboteur all came to mind immediately... what would you suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go:

Good and Cheap: Games in the Top 1000 Under $10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman games has like a dozen titles for $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or... you could look at it this way... get your game group to make some purchases there. Yes, they probably cost more than some online store.. but consider it as a small fee/rent for the use of that space.

Did the store owner offer some type of discount for the board games for your group. Most FLGS seem to charge MSRP and a little 10% discount might get them more business from your game group too... although granted he is providing you the space.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can easily recommend my card game The King Commands. It works well as an easy to learn, fast paced and fun filler. It's coming out very soon from Z-Man Games so pick it up if you see it or ask your FLGS to bring it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:

Not sure that really helps considering the prices listed are for online stores...

which usually has prices well below MSRP...

which is kind of why the OP never buys from his FLGS...

which he's trying to rectify...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
See also Top 15% Under $15 ("Good & Cheap II" / Non-Card Games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Or... you could look at it this way... get your game group to make some purchases there. Yes, they probably cost more than some online store.. but consider it as a small fee/rent for the use of that space.

Did the store owner offer some type of discount for the board games for your group. Most FLGS seem to charge MSRP and a little 10% discount might get them more business from your game group too... although granted he is providing you the space.

BOb

I was going to make this point myself. If the owner is mentioning that you haven't purchased enough stuff from his shop, than he is in no way letting you use the space for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bohnnanza
6 nimmit
best bet, have a library of games, and pay $10 each for a good game that will bring others in to the store to make the owner feel good about letting you use their space. A big thing is get the owner to play the games with you, so they have a feel of how it is to play games, and they would understand the cost involved and that you can't buy a game a month as easy as magic players can buy a few packs each visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
The price point for a lot of "our games" keeps them from being real impulse buy fodder, so I'm looking to compile a decent list of really cheap, really good games that are likely to get people spending money at my FLGS.

The price point for a squad of space marines is nothing to sneeze at, but most store groups buy their GW through their home store. I don't think it's the price point, so much as other factors.

One thing I try to do is bring games I know the store has on its shelves. If they've had a copy of a game you like languishing on the shelf, bring it with you to game night. Not that I don't bring anything OOP, but at least half of what I bring is going to be available in the store. Real life demos are what is going to sell more boardgames, whether they cost $10 or $60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siew
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island - I was pretty shocked to find out how cheap this game was considering how much fun it is.

As far as using the space goes, I have a general policy at my FLGS that I try to adhere to. They have an open box demo policy on quite a few games. If I'm introduced to the game at the store, I make a pretty concerted effort to buy it there, even though it is at MSRP. I figure that goes hand in hand with the service they're providing. They have to pay for a storefront, unlike most online stores, so that's going to keep prices a bit higher than online.

That being said, they've never once pressured me to buy anything before, during or after a session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming, from the games you gave as examples, an upward limit of $20 MSRP:

The Battle for Hill 218
We Didn't Playtest This At All
No Thanks!
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
Zombie in my Pocket
Turn the Tide
Meuterer
Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans
Battleground
Forbidden Island
Battle Line
Chrononauts
Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord
Yetisburg: Titanic Battles in History, Vol. 1
Monty Python Fluxx
BANG!
Iliad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DS000FSD wrote:

which is kind of why the OP never buys from his FLGS...

which he's trying to rectify...

whistle

Now now... I make fairly regular purchases at my FLGS and most other group members try to support the store as well. But as someone pointed out, for larger purchases its almost always a better deal to shop online. But those little $10-$15 games aren't significantly cheaper online so might give the game sales a little boost.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely some new to me on that list I'll have to look into!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason to pay extra to shop in your FLGS is to pay their overhead for all that free table space they offer you. Buying something online because it's cheaper is no way to give them business.

My FLGS is about to start charging table fees to customers who do not purchase product during their visits, and charging monthly membership dues to anyone wanting to bypass paying table rent (which will include a 10% product discount) because so many people play there and get their product elsewhere, thus not helping them make ends meet.

If you like gaming there, you and your group had better shop there, or move Game Night into someone's basement and make way for paying customers. Being a cheapskate won't pay their bills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mazienda
Finland
Vaasa
Ostrobothnia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the cheap games wouldn't bring much cash for the FLGS, as margins are probably pretty tight on those kind of games compared to larger games at MSRP, or even at 10 per cent discount. However, you would be a paying customer.

Then again, I don't have a FLGS anywhere near where I live so OLGS is the only option, for me Germany is the best and cheapest option. Or local department stores but prices are pretty high and supply pretty restricted.

edit: So if you appreciate your FLGS services, try to find ways of acquiring some games from them at reasonable margins. You are lucky to have a FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mazzame wrote:
I would think the cheap games wouldn't bring much cash for the FLGS, as margins are probably pretty tight on those kind of games compared to larger games at MSRP... You are lucky to have a FLGS.

That is an excellent point... but our shop keep doesn't feel we buy enough soda either shake Really this is about generating more regular sales on our weekly game nights rather than sporadic large sales every couple of weeks. Thanks again everyone for your input! I know the store will appreciate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
mazzame wrote:
I would think the cheap games wouldn't bring much cash for the FLGS, as margins are probably pretty tight on those kind of games compared to larger games at MSRP... You are lucky to have a FLGS.

That is an excellent point... but our shop keep doesn't feel we buy enough soda either shake Really this is about generating more regular sales on our weekly game nights rather than sporadic large sales every couple of weeks. Thanks again everyone for your input! I know the store will appreciate this.

The soda pop my FLGS sells has been the thing keeping it afloat for months now! If you think about it, the average Joe spends more on drinks in his life than board games. Several stores rely on impulse purchases like sodas and snacks to stay in business. If your guys bring in outside food and drink, you again cut into their profits, whilst still expecting to use their "VIP Lounge" (or whatever they call it there). Be careful. And, if they're still complaining, ask them what they expect from you; if it's unreasonable to you, give up the lounge to someone else, assuming there's a common area with more game tables you could be using instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.