Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/magazine/11Jousting-t.html

Jousting as an 'extreme' sport. What's cool is that they are wanting it to be something the crowd will take seriously. What's the point in reenacting something that was already a simulation?

On a wargame note, the Gustavus game from the musket and pike series simulates the effect of a lance the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting knocked off a galloping horse,in a full set of plate armour by a bloke with a big spear FOR FUN!!...an extreme sport for extreme idiots I'd say!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine does this. In his first joust he dislocated his shoulder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Getting knocked off a galloping horse,in a full set of plate armour by a bloke with a big spear FOR FUN!!...an extreme sport for extreme idiots I'd say!!

I know right? What kind of a fool follows his passion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,Adam,I suppose you're right...who am I,a born non-risk taker (dare I say coward) to criticise...I'm probably being a bit hard on them...the jousting guys certainly look very happy in their photo so more power to them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all have something beyond rational that drives us. If not, life would be pretty boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing guys like these a good ten years ago on the Renn Faire circuit. I think they were out of California. When I was Chairman and CEO of the Oklahoma Scottish Festival, I talked to their manager about the possibility of having them come and joust at our event -- he said they would pitch it as a battle between a son of the Douglas and a son of the Campbell over a woman. (Or maybe it was two Douglas boys fighting over their inheritance. I can't remember now.)

Unfortunately, they wanted more money to perform than we had to spare. It was too bad, because I think it would have been a great attraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam,

I think it's simply for the History, the pleasure of relive it even in its most brutal moments, although the most spectacular!

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Damjon wrote:
A friend of mine does this. In his first joust he dislocated his shoulder.

His pre-round was inhibited by a dislocated brain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for gladiator combat to make a comeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:

Actually, it has!!! There are now gladiator competitions taking place in Italy. Obviously, the competitors aren't allowed to kill each other, but (apparently) they're using the very same type of armour (or lack thereof) as the ancients did, as well as the very same (albeit"blunted") sort of weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I saw - at the North Carolina Renfaire this spring - a group that does medieval battles. Armour and steel weapons... not padded wood or rubber like the SCA and LARP people use. They have a full training system, and you have to be 'approved' to participate in combat with real weapons...
There are some standards for armour and they do try to 'pull their punches' a little.

But it was pretty wild, and a little scarey too. One fellow sort of 'walked into' a sword thrust. He took the point to the chest - wearing leather over mail - and you could see that it did some damage. The sword didn't penetrate the armour, but it was like getting shot while wearing kevlar armour - no penetration but one heck of a bruise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:

It never went away, at least the spirit of it. It's why mma came along after the death of pro boxing, and boxing being around forever before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.