14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Tips for getting printing onto chip board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan West
United States
flag msg tools
I'm currently in the early prototype and gameplay testing phase for my first game, but I have a question about the cardboard pieces I'll need. I need to make some tiles for land and various markers for the game, and my plan was to print the design on high quality paper and adhere it to chipboard, at which point I'll cut it out and have some (hopefully) nice looking pieces. My question is, what's the best way to do this? I know I can use high strength spray glue and adhere the printed designs that way, but I've heard other people laminate it as well. Any suggestions? I don't currently have the money to have another company do this for me, so I'm trying to do as much myself as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Label Paper.
Print to the label paper, and then peel the back and stick.

Cheap, easy, no mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
United States
flag msg tools
I need it to look professional, as this'll be a prototype to ship to potential publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's as professional as you can get without spending lots of money.

If you want the tiles to feel nicer, you can print on matte paper and then use spray glue to adhere them to the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the labels thing.

I have just sent a very important (to me) prototype off to a big name publisher that I produced in exactly that manner.

Personally, I think that what I have sent is certainly good enough. Some of the tiles are indistinguishable from 'proper' tiles produced with expensive machinery for a real game. And others have inevitable signs of being hand made - fronts and backs not quite aligned, edges not straight, stray cut marks where they shouldn't be, and so on. None of those faults in any way detracts from the main purpose of the prototype - to enable the game to be played and evaluated. Really poor materials (tiles just cut out of cardboard with scissors) might detract, and would be a problem. But any publisher who marks your game down because the prototype didn't look like a real game produced professionaly is not worth dealing with, IMHO. Fit for purpose is good enough.

If you build that way you can laminate if you think it matters. Or coat with a varnish (use a spray so it doesn't show brush strokes or cause ink jet colours to run).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll third the label paper idea and fill in a detail that may not be clear. You can buy label paper that is not die-cut, that is to say the entire thing is one big label, 8.5x11". Put in on the chipboard, or anything else, then cut. Looks very sharp, and it's very affordable. The labels are about 30 cents a page.

Personally, I cover it with clear contact paper. This is also cheap and easy, and prevents finger smudges, etc. It's not too glossy, it's not to flat.

I know of no home, office, or copy center printer that will print on chipboard, and chipboard does not usually have the right surface to take inkjet ink or laser toner properly.

Label paper. That's your ticket.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
In my continuing series of translations from American to English, I am pleased to inform the confused that "clear contact paper" is called (in true Blue Peter style) "sticky back plastic" in the UK (Fablon, self adhesive vinyl, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Meneely
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Squib is my Ruby library for prototyping tabletop games
badge
I spent 100 geek gold on this and I can't think of what to say here.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I do is get linen paper (can get it 11x17 at http://www.paperandmore.com/) and get it printed at Staples or some other office supply store. Printing costs about $1.50 per sheet, and the laser printing adds a somewhat glossy sheen that looks professional. Then I use Super 77 to glue to chipboard, then use a rotary cutter to cut it out.

I do all this for my game that has Carcassonne-like tiles, and on the box.

I've never sent a game off to a publisher, but IMHO it does look a bit better and not much more expensive.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
United States
flag msg tools
Yeah, I've got a can of Super 77, so that's what I was planning to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

1. A4 size sticky label sheet, through a laser printer.
2. Arc-punch or rotary cutter.
3. 2 light coats with dull-cote (matt spray varnish).
Looks better than 90% of "real" components. The most troublesome part is getting the graphics right prior to printing!

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
United States
flag msg tools
So sticky back paper sticks well enough to not peel off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
JWest wrote:
So sticky back paper sticks well enough to not peel off?

Absolutely.

[Unless you're talking about the translated "sticky back plastic" above [i.e. "contact paper"], in which case I have no idea.]

Label stock ["sticky back paper"] sticks amazingly well. You can find full sheet label stock in a number of finishes at most office stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info folks. And thanks for mentioning the arch punch, I was looking for something to do just that. I had a heck of a time figuring out how I would cut out some small circular pieces without tediously doing it with a hobby knife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katja P

Tacoma
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just cut mine out with a laser cutter, and then sand the edges of the stack with 400 grit.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.