BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Our next game purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Smith
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
So once a week, me and anywhere between 4 to 6 friends of mine get together for a laid back little gaming session. Lately we've been looking for games that are good for 6-7 players, and it's a rather short list. I've looked around a bit here with a friend and we've both pretty much drawn the same conclusions as to which set of games seem interesting, and was wondering what you guys would recommend!

As for our current/past games in use, I guess varied is a pretty good description. Games we enjoyed are:

Arkham Horror (all expansions except the latest)
Small World
Race for the Galaxy
Roborally
Puerto Rico
Mare Nostrum
Amyitis
Starcraft
Ticket to Ride
Hansa
Attika
King of Chicago
Dominion

Anyway, we've "narrowed" it down to the following games:

Battlestar Galactica
Railroad Tycoon
Conquest of the Empire (using the Martin Wallace rules)
Dune (if we manage to get ahold of a copy )
Struggle of Empires
Shadows over Camelot

I do realise that only the last two games mentioned support up to 7 players, but chances are we'll be getting both one of the 7-player games and one of the 6-player games anyhow! When it comes to game mechanics, well, we've more or less taken a liking to most types we've come across, although I'd hazard that strategy is the favourite. Political/negotiation games are not something we've played really, although I doubt we'd dislike them. As for game time, I've put it in the range of 3-5 hours, though 5 hours might be pushing it for those nights with study/work-based lack of dedication! Last but not least, the ability to backstab and be downright cruel is something we all enjoy in a game, so no worries about that!

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica sounds like the perfect game for you guys! If you like it, grab the expansion which makes it up to 7 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Flynn
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wold also suggest Citadels. It is a great game that supports up to 7 players. You should be able to pick it up fairly cheap as well.

This is a staple for our group whenever we have more than 5 people show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
SubtlyArtistic wrote:
Battlestar Galactica sounds like the perfect game for you guys! If you like it, grab the expansion which makes it up to 7 players.

Agreed.

There is nothing like wiping out the entire Human race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion and negotiation in the alliance phase of Struggle of Empires might not be to your taste; personally I've always enjoyed the ability to ally with someone and then pay a third party to attack them ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Our next game purchase -- game for 6 or 7
See also You can play this game with six players - do it! and You CAN play this game with six (or more) - DO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica is fun. Make sure everyone is current on the series for maximum effect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Citadels here. You might also look at BANG!, it's great with a lot of players. Consider going with The Bullet, and wait impatiently with me over the coming BANG! Wild West Show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should definitely checkout the following:

- Cutthroat Caverns- Awesome game. 6 of you play against 9 monsters, but you need to be there together to win against them, but hey you also need to back stab your friends simultaneously because there can only be one winner!!

- Fearsome Floors- Simple game but loads of fun, plays upto 6.

- Another vote for Bang! and Citadels. Also check out Ca$h 'n Gun$

- Shadows over Camelot is a very good choice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nod for Citadels.

From your list, I'd rec Shadows or Battlestar, depending on which theme appeals more to you and your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.