Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Calling Wallenstein players..help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
I posted this query on the Wallenstein page originally, but need some clarification with a rules question, if anyone could help.

I have just cracked open my copy of Wallenstein, and am working my way through the rules. I have one question already:

My translation says that the four event cards for the turn are displayed "openly" at the top of the board. Then, for each season, one is chosen randomly, and placed in the square at the bottom of the board. Are the event cards placed face up so that all may see the upcoming events, shuffled, one drawn at random, and then replaced face up? I think the alternative (shuffled, placed face down, and the cards drawn unknown from their order at the top of the board) would be more interesting, but I wondered if the knowledge of the upcoming events, albeit in random order, was elemental to the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
your last sentence is the intent of the rule.

The biggest value of this is knowing exactly what the winter grain losses will be going into the fall turn. It enables you to prepare better (if you can!).

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It's simple!
You always know which four cards will be used in the year, but not their order.
Do just what the rules say: place them face up, but at the beginning of each season draw one at random (i.e. take them, shuffle them, draw the one that will affect the season, place the others face up; of course, once the card for Autumn is drawn, you'll know the amount of grain shortage during Winter as well!).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack
I was also wondering about the card that allows one to attack/move armies from one province to another. Can we do multiple moves?

Say we ordered province A to mobilize armies.
Province A borders on B and C.

Can I mobilize my armies from province A to B & C on the same turn? Or is it only to one destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
" A movement action allows a player to move armies into A neighbouring own, other players' or neutral country "

Choose one loaction, and that's where they go. You cannot split them between countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I was also wondering about the card that allows one to attack/move armies from one province to another. Can we do multiple moves?

Say we ordered province A to mobilize armies.
Province A borders on B and C.

Can I mobilize my armies from province A to B & C on the same turn? Or is it only to one destination.

But if you own A and B, you can reinforce from A to B on your first movement, and then attack from B to somewhere else on your second. That's a great way to launch a surprise attack if B is weakly manned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cooper
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a dice
I like to use an 8 sided die when there are 4 cards and a six sided die for 3 or 2 cards to help make the decision. Shuffling the cards and choosing at random doesn't seem the best way with so few cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.