Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M O
Christmas Island
Connecticut
msg tools
I just want to run one thing by you guys, just to make sure. Once I use in combatitems, eg. 2x .45 automatic that gives me +8 to combat checks, and I fail the combat check, eg. I need 3 succeses and I get only 2, next combat check I can't use those guns anymore and I still have to get 3 successes to defeat that monster, right?

Now for the real question...ehm...How do I defeat Dhole???

Thnx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot use exhausted items but other than that you can keep re-using your weapons (As long as you have enough hands, of course). I'm almost positive you don't need to exhaust .45s to use them so you can use them again on the next combat check.

As for the Dhole... a bit preparation and luck (Usually, mostly luck). I try to avoid monsters of that power level unless they become a serious problem, it's usually more important to stay focused on whatever goal we're working on that get distracted with fighting monsters.

Hope that helps, I'd be happy to clarify if not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashkhael wrote:
I just want to run one thing by you guys, just to make sure. Once I use in combatitems, eg. 2x .45 automatic that gives me +8 to combat checks, and I fail the combat check, eg. I need 3 succeses and I get only 2, next combat check I can't use those guns anymore and I still have to get 3 successes to defeat that monster, right?

Only if the items you used are exhausted when used; other items can be used combat check after combat check. So for instance, a Flame Thrower or Elephant Gun could only be used in one combat check, but with your .45 Automatics, you can blaze away until you win or run out of stamina.

Notice there are some spells which exhaust when they are cast, but whose wording specifically states that they affect combat checks (plural!) until the end of the combat.

Quote:

Thnx

A pile of clues, a lot of luck, and a high Fight (remember you get all your Fight skill dice, even if the monster is physically or magically immune or resistant). The Red Sign of Shudde M'el spell is of great use too, if you can get it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
I try to avoid monsters of that power level unless they become a serious problem, it's usually more important to stay focused on whatever goal we're working on that get distracted with fighting monsters.

True that! Don't fight the monsters, fight the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashkhael wrote:

Thnx

Unless you have to exhaust your weapon or spell you can use it every turn (What you can't do is use one hand to try to launch a spell and since you fail use that hand for another thing)

Note: You can re-use your hands every round, but you lose any bonus you where gaining by using that hand.

Example of this... let's say you use Shrivelling spell (Cast and exhaust to gain +6 to Combat checks until the end of this combat.) so you have one hand busy and can't use your Shotgun even if you fail the cast.
Now let's say you successfully cast the spell and got the +6 bonus to combat but you miss the attack and the monster hurt you but your still alive, in the next round you still have the +6 bonus of you Shrivelling even if it is exhausted (Because the card say it that way) but you still have to use the hand you used to cast it if you want to continue getting the bonus you can say "I want to equip the shotgun now" and you can do it, but you will lose your +6 bonus.

And about the Dhole...

Is a really nasty monster but is beatable you just need a little luck with you example... let's say you use your two .45 since it has resistance you only get a half of the bonus that means +4 and let's say your character is very good fighting and has 4 points of fight that makes a total of 8 and since the Dhole has a combat rating of -3 you only roll 5 dice... I hope you are lucky enough to get 3 successes in 5 dice.

I hope it helps.

Edit: Fixed the Dhole Image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arael wrote:

Note: You can re-use your hands every round, but you lose any bonus you where gaining by using that hand.

Example of this... let's say you use Shrivelling spell (Cast and exhaust to gain +6 to Combat checks until the end of this combat.) so you have one hand busy and can't use your Shotgun even if you fail the cast.
Now let's say you successfully cast the spell and got the +6 bonus to combat but you miss the attack and the monster hurt you but your still alive, in the next round you still have the +6 bonus of you Shrivelling even if it is exhausted (Because the card say it that way) but you still have to use the hand you used to cast it if you want to continue getting the bonus you can say "I want to equip the shotgun now" and you can do it, but you will lose your +6 bonus.

Excellent run down of a complex issue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M O
Christmas Island
Connecticut
msg tools
SO I got it totally wrong
Thnx for such a quick reply. I was ready to give up on the game on account of it's thoughness and complicity

EDIT: however, after 6+ hours, we still lost >_
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashkhael wrote:
however, after 6+ hours, we still lost >_

but of course you did - you weren't expecting to win, were you? goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.