Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to take the dive into painting the miniatures in a number of my games (starting with Memoir 44) and would appreciate any thoughts or advice from experienced painters. I've looked around at a number of the previously posted guides for painting Memoir, but still have a few questions.

First: What medium would you most recommend? Acrylic? Enamel? Ink? Combination?

Second: What color should I use for the base coat? Some suggest black, others white, what's the difference?

Third: Washing (blackwash, brownwash, and so forth). Should I use watered down paints or inks? Whats the difference? If I'm using paint, what paint/water ratio should be used? What technique should I use in applying this?

Fourth (and last): Drybrushing. I've seen plenty of threads mention it, but how do you do it?

If you've read this far, thanks! And if you respond, thanks squared! Answers to my questions, as well as any other advice you can give a new, somewhat nervous painter, is greatly appreciated!

(and a shout-out to Laserschwert, who's picture guides to painting Memoir 44 inspired me to give it a shot myself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Zawadzki
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some quick advice:

I use Vallejo Acrylics. They are quite rich in pigments, are very easy to use (just shake the bottle and squeeze out the paint), and clean up with water or antifreeze. Most importantly, they are safe to use and have little to no odour. Some acrylic paints clean up with alcohol (like Tamiya) but they do contain solvents which can be very harmful. Acrylics dry quickly, but they sell a retarder which works quite well. Also, get their thinner and matte medium to dilute their paints, which is sometimes necessary. Vallejo do have a sett of military paints which woill have the exact colours you require - the military flesh tones (base, dark and highlights) are very good for skin.

I also use Tamiya paints for some things - like metal, and transparent colours (transparent Tamiya Red works great for blood, if you ever happen to be painting zombies or such things).

After the initial one or two coats, I water down a darkened version of the colour I was using, and then do a wash so the colour soaks into the nooks and crannies, giving some depth. You could also use ink for this step, depending on the effect you are looking for, I sometimes use both. I usually dilute the ink.

Drybrushing is the easiest step. Use a lighter shade of the colour of interest (just add a bit of white), get an old brush, dip it into the paint, ,then wipe off the excess, let it dry a bit, then lightly touch the end of the brush repeatedly with the surface of interest, the lighter-coloured paint will slowly appear. It works great for highlights, just experiment with the method as it's quite easy.

By the time you finish painting all those Memoir '44 miniatures, you will be an expert! Don't take it too seriously, and try to have a good time doing it as it can be quite a chore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. DJ FancyLove
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Josh, I would seriously consider the method [geekurl=448494]this guy[/geekurl] used for his LNOE minitures.

This was the first thread I found that motivated me to try and paint my own LNOE figures. He does a really great job of explaining a very basic way to paint figures you plan on using for games.

I will paraphrase what I did compared to what he says to do.

1. Washed my figures in dish soap and hot water.
2. Primed with a Gray primer.
3. Painted using his recommended paints and the same method of painting
4. Washed my minis using the exact Minwax Polyshade stain he shows.
5. Used Tamiya Polycarbonate Clear Flat spray as a final coat (2 coats).**

**Note: This is not in the original directions. If you read through the entire thread (which I did). There is extensive conversation about his final coat causing the minis to become tacky. The method I used has been used by multiple people with great results.

Now this paint job isn't gonna win any awards, but it looks really really great. If you plan to use them to play the game then this is the way to go. If you want to display them, then pick a different method.

This is by far the best way to paint a bunch of minis without the task becoming extremely daunting for a first time painter. You can take as much time as you want painting as many details as you want on each figure. So the time constraint is really only based on how detailed you want to get.

The Memoir '44 minis are made of a softer plastic, but this method should still work really well. You may have to spray 3 coats of the Tamiya spray in order to get the duribility you want. Otherwise you might get some flaking paint if the final coat is too thin.

Either way you will end up with some really durable and detailed minis to play the game with after this process.

In fact, I plan on doing this to my '44 collection when I get the time. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you'll find some inspiration here:

http://www.twfigurines.de/

http://wk.frothersunite.com/sc/pulp/ww2.htm

http://midgard.pagesperso-orange.fr/

http://www.paulbaker.org.uk/ww2.htm

http://www.paulbaker.org.uk/stepbystep.htm

http://terresdeshommes.blogspot.com/

http://www.kevindallimore.co.uk/

Some excellent miniatures to drool about, and a few tutorials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james collins
United States
rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy has it step by step

http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/mypage/362174/m44/story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When doing anything like highlighting, inking or drybrushing the most important rule is less is more. You can always add a bit more but you can't take it away once it's on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you all for the pointers! Still feeling a little trepidatious about the project, but I'm starting in this morning with the base coats on the razor wire bales and the sandbags (starting small). Here goes nothing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels R.
Belgium
Veltem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Reading the tutorials and watching the photo's I really want to paint my figures too...

I think I'll buy a box of Revell miniatures and the supplies and just follow Brummbar's tutorial.

If I'm confident enough I'll do my Memoir figures too (plus I can use the ones I practiced on ).

Thanks for the info!

Niels R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DusterTIB wrote:
Hey Josh, I would seriously consider the method [geekurl=448494]this guy[/geekurl] used for his LNOE minitures.

This was the first thread I found that motivated me to try and paint my own LNOE figures. He does a really great job of explaining a very basic way to paint figures you plan on using for games.

I will paraphrase what I did compared to what he says to do.

1. Washed my figures in dish soap and hot water.
2. Primed with a Gray primer.
3. Painted using his recommended paints and the same method of painting
4. Washed my minis using the exact Minwax Polyshade stain he shows.
5. Used Tamiya Polycarbonate Clear Flat spray as a final coat (2 coats).**
Good luck!

this... but with a suggestion. consider priming your minis in their uniform colors. for instance, spray the U.S. minis with "olive drab" hobby store quality spray paint. than painting is a matter of guns, flesh and one or two other details.

i'm painting FOW 15mm minis and i've tried this with Russians and U.S. troops. works pretty well.

i have found out the hard way that gray color primers can leave a very rough surface (like a texture almost). now i just prime with hobby store spray paint, and paint with cheap acrylics (and some Vallejo), works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels R.
Belgium
Veltem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I thought this might be a nice link for beginning painters. The amount of paint colors is overwhelming but this overview will help you select a basic set for each army.

I've found the link on this page. The website contains a lot of useful text and photos.

They also seem to sell "paint sets" for each army. If you check the product details you come across images suggesting colors for each model. Another handy way to help you choose your paint!

Enjoy...

Edit: Found (in a BBG forum thread with LOTS of nice links) another nice page with videos. This one is about WWII infantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JOin the Miniature Painters Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Niels R. above who discovered a broken link on my site, you can now find my M'44 Tank Painting tutorial here on this page http://www.brummbar44.com/?page_id=16

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.