Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m looking for a new game for 3-4 players. Something where you build something up (an economy/army) and then attacking each other is a viable strategy but doesn’t necessarily have to be the main strategy. It shouldn’t be too heavy and take about 2 hours or less.

I’ve been looking at Wallenstein (first edition) but have been put off by comments of lack of control and lack of strategy. Is this the best game of it’s kind or could I be looking at something else? I'm not keen on fantasy but won't rule anything out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'll suggest either with Viktory II or Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Endeavor, it's a bit abstract and not the greatest game but it do fulfill all of your requirements. It's better with 4-5 players then with 3 though.

There are plenty of other games but these types of games falls into the heavier category and takes more then 2 hours, especially on more then 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
I'll suggest either with Viktory II or Nexus Ops

I would like to see anyone trying to win Nexus Ops without combat, that's how you score your victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Looking for a build up and attack game...R-E-A-L-L-Y-?
Awakening wrote:
I would like to see anyone trying to win Nexus Ops without combat, that's how you score your victory points.
"build up and attack game"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like you need a civ like game for your requirement. most of the build up and attack games have attack as the main way to score.

Tempus
Valley of the Mammoths
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

and look for similar games from those pages. good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game
Nexus Ops
WarCraft: The Board Game

If you can live with a bit less building up, Small World, Neuroshima Hex!, Supernova might work. Or any of the plenty of Risk-alikes, like Dust or Risk 2210 A.D..

As you've probably found out, finding games where only building up and no confrontation, only politics and economics, can also lead to victory, are pretty hard to find. I'd recommend Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) for that if it wouldn't take a lot longer than two hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein and its successor, Shogun are both good games but definitely do not fit your criteria. There is limited playing time and in combination with limited actions there is not much development going on; this also leads to "gamey" strategies, to gain last-minute points and secure territories with weak garrisons (which would obviously be lost if the game continued another turn).

For games with a territorial/military bias, I would recommend:

Imperial
Antike
Kings and Castles
Serenissima(quite rare)
Mare Nostrum
Tigris & Euphrates

For games with an economic bias, I would recommend:

Air Baron (quite rare)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two hours is a real stretch for these types of games. Wallenstein probably takes much longer. The only game I can really think of that plays in that time is the already mentioned Endeavor. Through the Ages is totally excellent but takes 4 hours or even more. This is also a quite heavy game. The same goes for Rise of Empires, a good game, but heavier and longer than what you are looking for.

If you really want something in this genre that plays in two hours and isn't too heavy, you have to compromise. Endeavor is the best compromise I can think of. Endeavor cuts down on playing time by having a more abstracted game play and a set number of rounds, but the result is a great game. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Neuroshima Hex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Città is a great one, have a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Arctic Jack wrote:
I’m looking for a new game for 3-4 players. Something where you build something up (an economy/army) and then attacking each other is a viable strategy but doesn’t necessarily have to be the main strategy. It shouldn’t be too heavy and take about 2 hours or less.

Imperial sounds like what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Antike.

You might also try Age of Mythology or Age of Empires III, although I think they're less the type of thing you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike is a good euro-style wargame. You are able to get more resources the more cities you control. You can build units (land or water) from iron, temples from marble and research new technology with gold. Warfare is not the only way to score points but it is necessary to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said you weren't keen on fantasy but Runewars might be worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Antike, but I don't think it works with 3. 4 or 5 is fantastic, 6 is too many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
I would recommend Endeavor, it's a bit abstract and not the greatest game but it do fulfill all of your requirements. It's better with 4-5 players then with 3 though.

Not really my cup of tea, but the hardcore economy building/conquest guys in my group thought very highly of this game. It also seems to have a high amount of replay value, as the strategy for conquest varies depending on how the starting random resources are placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Starcraft. You may need to do some combat, but really, you could probably win the game with just 1 or 2 offensive fights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor has combat as one path to victory. You can build up and attack or build up and do nothing. Senji is another game where you can build up and attack, build up and defend, or not build up at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s been a few weeks now and I’ve done a lot of looking and still Wallenstein is meeting my requirements best. I think I’ll be just waiting for the reprint unless something better comes along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Gangster
Mwahahaha!
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition
Dune
My recommendations based on my analysis of your request, profile, and prior suggestions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Dunne
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll put in another vote for Nexus Ops. I'd recommend Starcraft, but it would be really rare for the play time to be under two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why people keep recommending Nexus Ops. It's a quick build up and attack game except for one of the requirements of the OP:

Quote:
attacking each other is a viable strategy but doesn’t necessarily have to be the main strategy.

I just don't see how you can do it.

Twilight Imperium is what came to mind except the time restriction. You could however split up the game into 2 sessions. That's a little tricky to do. That said there are way better recommendations over Nexus Ops (although I do enjoy Nexus Ops).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.