Subject: Defenders of the Realm vs. Castle Ravenloft rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize not many people have had a chance to play Castle Ravenloft. A friend of mine came back from GenCon and loved Castle --- but he said it reminded him more of Ghost Stories than Descent. It had a real cooperative feel.

So I am curious as to which game people feel will provide more meaningful decisions...at times Pandemic feels like the game is playing you instead of you playing the game.

Which fantasy cooperative excites people more and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm is much like a game of Pandemic with a lot added in to differentiate it. One of the biggest additions is that dice are used. Because of the random chance of failure at any given moment, you have to constantly weigh the risk vs. rewards to decide which threat is more important and how likely you'll be able to take care of the threat. You need to work together very well in order to beat this game, because it is a tough one. This is more of a strategy game (obviously as pandemic is) and because of it, it is much more of a decision-making game. I also like how you can attack a general as a group (which you pretty much have to do to take them down) and that helps the co-op feel even more than Pandemic.

As for Castle Ravenloft, I have been looking at every article and video I can find on this game. This is also a co-op game in that you are all dungeon-crawling around together, but also because if one player dies, then the whole team loses. However, being a dungeon crawl, the decisions aren't as tough to make, it's basically attack the nearest monster, and move forward to find your goal. That's not to say there isn't strategy involved. Especially when you get to the end room with a horde of monsters and/or a final boss, you still have to strategize to complete the goal without anyone dying.

But I feel that the whole game of Defenders of the Realm is like a final boss room. You really have to work together and stay on your toes, or you can get overwhelmed. So if it is a thinking game you want, I would go with that. That being said however, I have pre-ordered both and cannot wait to get Castle Ravenloft. Defenders is an awesome game and Ravenloft looks to be just as awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Do you feel that owning Pandemic makes Defenders feel redundant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually don't own Pandemic, and to tell you the truth, I haven't even played it. I did a lot of research on both games however, in order to determine if I would like Defenders (in which the medieval them helps greatly, in my case). If you go to the Defenders of the Realm page, there is a Youtube video with Scott Nicholson specifically comparing it with Pandemic that would help you out.

I know there is a Pandemic expansion, but the one thing I also like about Defenders that I didn't mention above is that the generals all have different powers, as opposed to the Pandemic diseases being pretty much the same other than their color. And there are already Defenders expansions in the works, the first one being a Dragon expansion that comes with new generals to replace the old. So when you want even more variety between the generals, you can swap in new ones that have different strengths and powers.

But yeah, check out that video, since I have no actual experience with Pandemic to tell you how similar they really are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.