Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game just came out, and there are already 5 pages of rules questions?! My copy is on its way, but are the rules poorly written or incomplete?

I guess I'm just concerned that our first game is going to full of mistakes, based on how many questions are being asked already. This would seriously hinder our desire to play it again or to recommend it to others if this happens. Is there going to be an FAQ?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

I guess I'm just concerned that our first game is going to full of mistakes

It's not a successful board gaming night until I attempt to teach a new game full of mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine yesterday, set it up and started playing. I had read the rules already online, so I spent a few minutes (not more than 10) skimming them over as I looked at the cards and other equipment. I then played a game solitaire controlling 4 characters which I had drawn randomly.

The game was fun and went fine.There were a few times I had to look something up, and I could see why some, if not most, of the specific questions have been asked to which you refer. I guess this means the rules could have been a little tighter. There is a lot going on. I appreciate the readiness of the desigber to answer questions here.

I am delighted with the game and look forward to teaching it to others. Even playing my first "learning game" solitaire was great fun (but controlling 4 characters is a lot to handle... before each character's turn I would have to refamiliarize myself with their attributes, cards and recall what "job" each one was doing.)

Oh... did I mention whether I won or not?

No, I guess I didn't mention that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anticipation, mostly. I asked a whole pile of questions, and my copy hasn't even arrived at the distributor yet.

There's also a fair bit of questions being re-asked that have already been answered. Compiling an FAQ should reduce this.

I think the issue isn't the rulebook, it's the cards. Some of the rules text on the heroes, I think, could be clearer, but space is limited. I should also point out that for most questions asked, the mechanic does work the way one would guess based on the rules text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of the posted questions were asked before those folks had a copy of the game. Some are repeats as well.

I'm actually GLAD to see all the questions! Things are bound to come up in ANY game that you're not sure about. This means that more folks have a copy of the game and that they're PLAYING! That's a good thing...

Honestly, I've stated before that the rules could have been better written, especially re. taint. Some illustrated examples of play would have been welcomed. But it's not a bad rulebook by ANY means. I've seen FAR worse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the OP's question, DotR contains a metric ton of rules ambiguities. Richard Launius is standing vigilant on these forums, answering all questions as they roll in, and that's exemplary of him, but the rulebook itself needs to be cleaned up. An official FAQ needs to be issued.

Are there worse rulebooks? Probably. But claiming that the amount of rules questions swirling around DotR is "normal" and would happen to any new release is just bogus. The information players need is available, but quite a bit of it is here on the BGG forums, not in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now played it twice (and won both times), I agree. Most of our questons are regarding the "Special" cards and some of the General's abilities. I'm hoping that neither of our wins were the result of misunderstanding rules, although we try to rule in favor of "common sense" when in doubt. I think the desire to have less intimidating/shorter rulebook might have caused this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook seems fairly clear, until you start playing and discover you don't really know half of what you need to. And half of what you do know from the rulebook is wrong

Its fun (well, with minor houserules), but expect figuring out the rules to be a mess. We quickly developed a mantra of "its not in the rulebook!" whenever I'd try to waste time looking up a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.