Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: After 20 years, did I get my money's worth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just some random musing's prompted by looking at my game collection and noting that 2005 represents the 20th anniversary for a half-dozen of them. As my general practice is to buy games new, I've probably owned them for 20 years, too. So I wondered if I got my money's worth and whether they're worth keeping around.

First on the list is Advanced Squad Leader. Despite the fact I spent a lot of money on it (I have all the AH stuff except Doomed Battalions) I have to say I certainly got my money's worth. While I haven't played much lately, for a long time there I was getting in a lot of games and I ended up playing something on the order of 200+ games. This makes it my all-time leader among games played by a wide margin.
Next up is Devil's Den (AH version). Sometimes called the "Squad Leader" of the Civil War, this game is at the other extreme. Despite being in my collection for two decades, through moves and removes, I've never played it. I like the map. I like the historical notes and the apparent authenticity. But I've never found an oppoenent. Doesn't look like I will, either. So I have to say I didn't get my money's worth with this game.cry
Junta is third on the list, alphabetically. While I haven't had a chance tom play it much, I have gotten to play it a few times, and enjoyed myself every time. This is a game I bought after having played it first, so I knew what I was getting. It also seems to be one of those timeless designs that keeps going strong year after year. I think I got my money's worth, but not by a whole heck of a lot. But there's still time for this one.
Main Battle Area is the fourth game on the list. I mostly got this game out of professional interest (I'm an Army reserve officer, and back in 1985 I was serving in Germany so the game was not so theoretical then. I've never had the chance to play this one either, except solitaire. It does have better than usual solitaire potential because of the orders system. Still, I'm not sure I got my money's worth when all is said and done.shake I would like to play it, or it's cousin Desert Victory, sometime.
The fifth game on the list is Mosby's Raiders. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years! As a solitaire game this isn't handicapped by the need to find opponents and I have managed to play it a few times and enjoy it to boot. I'm close to getting my money's worth with this one.
Finally, there is Star Trek III. This has three solitaire games and I've managed to play all three at least twice. I think it was good value even back then. Again, without the need to find opponents, these solitaire games just need to catch me with some downtime and they'll get played again. This was definitely a good purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...
This is an interesting exercise. More of us should try this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The fifth game on the list is Mosby's Raiders. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years! As a solitaire game this isn't handicapped by the need to find opponents

I don't know. I've had it for 20 years and still can't find a player for it!devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL
Quote:
Quote:
The fifth game on the list is Mosby's Raiders. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years! As a solitaire game this isn't handicapped by the need to find opponents

I don't know. I've had it for 20 years and still can't find a player for it!devil

Maybe it's time to play or eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.