Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: weekend games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this last weekend was my birthday weekend so a few of the gang and I went up To the Hotsprings again to stay in the lodge, soak in the pool and of course play games!

So the first game up for the weekend was Through the Desert. I taught Barb and Eric the game. Hm, I seem to really do pooorly at this game and this was no different with Barb and Eic stomping all over my poor camels.

By that time the rest of the gang Bryon and Brian arrived and we played Niagara newly out of the box. This game gets points for cool bits. The game is played with the board on top of the outer boxes so you can actually fall over the falls. The bits are very nice canoes/kayaks and the left over gems from Master Diebe apparently. You race your canoe up and down stream for gems. You are allowed of course to steal from others and there are changes you can make to the speed of the river. This stealing makes the game a bit chaotic and can lengthen the game. It is a very light game, good for the family I imagine, of course much better race games out there but Niagara can be fun once a while. I'll write a review when I get a chance.

We also played the new Titan the Arena version which is essentional the old Titan. As usual, I managed to get hosed in the first round being locked out of the chance to place a bet and lost my secret bet. It went downhill fr me from there with Bryon racking up the points on his monsters.

We also plyed Buyword. This was well liked by all. We played the basic version where you buy the letters for their point value squared and then sell the words for the new point value squared. We played several rounds of this over the weekend. Fun and fast. Doesn't get much better.

We played Coloretto with the expansion. Still fun and the expansion provides some nice variety.

The next day it was just 4 of us. Bryon and I played Jambo first off in the morning. I like this little market game for 2. It is very interesting with a little "take that" to it but not enough to be too annoying. It also fits the theme fairly well. Each player buys goods and tries to sell them for hire with a variety of cards manipulating your hand size and the goods.

We also tried out Runebound. Two days ago we had tried Return of the Hero so it is interesting to compare them. Return of the hero seems more simplistic for some reason (I think the combat is the much faster) and there is definitely less downtime between turns. Runebound has more "flavor" but a lot more downtime-yawn. I don't think one is "better" than the other, just different. Will have to try again. I did manage to defeat the Nameless One in RotH with my cleric. In Runebound, however I was mercilessly beat down by Margath leaving the way for Barb to dispatch him.

We also tried Dungeoneer Vault of FIends or something. The rules are poorly written and organized even worse. We figured it out eventually. A mini dungeon crawl. I was not impressed. I think Barb won this one also finsihing all her quests.

After that Brian had to do some homework so the three of us played Rumis. Very fun 3D puzzle, if you like blockus, you'll probably like this too. Since it was our first play we did the pyramid. I even managed to win. I think I may like this more than Pueblo, slightly less screw you factors in it.

Finally got to try Schnappchen Jagd. I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Barb, Brian and I gave it a run. The directions confused me initially but I think we finally figured out how to play this trick taking game correctly. I liked it but it falls behind Flaschenteufel and Sticheln for me. Need to try it again though.

Well we got Brian to join us for Stone Age Settlers. I think the best of the stand alone settler expansions. We got off to the usually slow start. Poor Brian got hit by the Sahara twice early in the game. Brian got off to a fast start and managed to collect all the 2 point VP cards running away with the win.

We finished up with Frank's Zoo, a very old favorite of ours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Happy birthday!!!
Which are the best games to be played while in a pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.