Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've recently become enamored with Crokinole. Like many however I've immediately been stricken by the high price of professinoal quality boards. In an effort to both play the game sooner and getting my wife to play I've gone and found a classical Carrom Company board that has Carrom on one side and Crokinole on the other. Lovely board really.

I thought I'd post some information about the board and ask a couple questions as well of the community.

From what I've researched this is a model "C" Crown Combination w/ Spider and Flies game, produced from 1899-1943. The Carrom Company actually has quite a bit of information on their website for the public to look things up on. Made me happy.

The question I have is whether or not these old style boards should be waxed or should I use powder or should I use nothing? I have a set of the original style Wooden Rings (not the original parts) replacements.

So, wish me luck. If I can convince the wife that this game is as amazing as I hope it should help down the road when I try to justify the cost of a professional board for either Crokinole or Carrom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked that Board up several months ago.

I ended up sanding all surfaces with a very fine sandpaper and applying a sealer coat after wiping up the dust. The board's surface is now glossy smooth.

When I was done with the sand and coat process, I applied Mother's Carnauba (The pure wax, NOT the wax-cleaner) and the Board is incredibly fast. It will play quite well with a wax treatment - you will want to reapply the wax after several plays. Be sure to wipe the board off between plays with a damp rag.

Also, I found that the rules for Spider & Flies were difficult to find if you don't have them. Spider and Flies is a placement/area control type of game rather than a Carrom game although that surface may be used for the full spectrum of Carrom games.

Let me know if you need the rules and I will send them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did look for the Spider & Flies rule and couldn't find them so if you could send them I would LOVE it!

So a fine sandpaper, sealer coat and then some wax. Hmmm... I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the reply, and please do send the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't actually tell you extend of the reconditioning for the Board I own.

It was in pretty sad shape. I actually sanded it about seven times and coated it in between sanding and cleaning. It really required it.

I'm not sure the condition of your Board which means you may not need extensive rehab. What I would maybe try to do is to just wax it and see if that brings you joy.

If the surface has imperfections that annoy your play, I'd seriously consider sanding it and sealing it a few times. Just be sure, if you decide to seal it, that you find the correct type of sealer. Some actually have ingredients that will yellow with time and you want to avoid that. Looking at your images, it looks as if your Board is in much better shape than the one I have when I bought it. I'm guessing you will only need to wax it and you'll be perfectly fine.

When I get home from work, I'll try to locate the Sealer I used and send you the info along with the rules.

For what it's worth, that Board definitely fills the gap while waiting for another Board - I think that it's good start choice for you. You'll be an expert player when you have the opportunity to upgrade to a newer, higher quality Board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is in really good shape. There are some scuff marks; but that's it as far as visible damage is concerned. The board for all I can tell appears quite flat and no real imperfections. Certainly no impressions or bang marks so it clearly wasn't owned by children.

Is there a specific brand of the Carbuna Wax that is best or better than others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So long as you use pure carnauba wax, you'll be fine. However, the common wisdom here on the Geek is to use Mother's which comes in a paste or a liquid. I use the liquid and have had excellent results. Just be sure to find the pure wax version instead of the wax-cleaner versions. The cleaner will destroy the finish on your board. Type in Mother's Carnauba Wax in your browser and you should find their website. Remember, "Pure carnauba", no cleaner.

You're Board will rock when you wax it.

You should probably take a damp cloth that you've rinsed in soapy water to just wipe down the Board before you wax it. Mostly to get any dust or grime off. Be sure to dry it off immediately because you don't want water to sit on the Board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wilson
United States
Phillipsburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just picked up a practically identical board at a yard sale for $5, but with some minor wear. I'd be curious to know how your waxing of the board turned out. Also, any recommendations on purchasing replacement game pieces, such as good places to look, or whether wood or plastic would be ideal? I'd probably want to stick with wood for the vintage feel, but is there a serious difference in game play between the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.