Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: International Federation of Wargaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ancients [+] :) [+] Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] gygax [+] ifw [+] old_guard [+] [View All]
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of old timers on BGG and I'm curious just how many can claim membership in the old IFW. There must be someone from the IFW still gaming, it had over 500 members at its height around 1971-72. The IFW ran a number of conventions, including the early GenCons. Please feel free to share your memories and pictures!

Don't forget the International Wargamer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

IFW wargame conventions at UIC, 1969.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Gary Gygax at an IFW convention in Madison Wisconsin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Wargamer204 wrote:
There are a number of old timers on BGG and I'm curious just how many can claim membership in the old IFW. There must be someone from the IFW still gaming, it had over 500 members at its height around 1971-72. The IFW ran a number of conventions, including the early GenCons. Please feel free to share your memories and pictures!

Don't forget the International Wargamer!

As well with Dave Arneson! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer204 wrote:

Can anyone identify that game he's finding so amusing?...

...and why isn't he at Woodstock or at home watching the Moon Landing?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
John Bobek wrote:
There are a number of old timers on BGG and I'm curious just how many can claim membership in the old IFW. There must be someone from the IFW still gaming, it had over 500 members at its height around 1971-72.

Count me in. I was a subscriber to the International Wargamer magazine from Dec 1969 to issue 64 in 1973. If you are the same John Bobek who was the editor of that magazine, then we would have corresponded a few times: you printed a few of my articles (you must have been really desperate... I was still in high school and *not* a good writer at all!). I also worked on the magazine by typing up articles for paste up in justified columns on a manual typewriter. Hard, boring work for no pay... yes, those were the good old days.

I still have all of those magazines, and the club Constitution, and whatever else got mailed out to members, or stuffed in with the magazine issues.

But, does this really mean that I've become an old-timer? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cort naegelin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in. I did a couple of Cartoons for the IFW.

Cort N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
John Bobek wrote:
There are a number of old timers on BGG and I'm curious just how many can claim membership in the old IFW. There must be someone from the IFW still gaming, it had over 500 members at its height around 1971-72.

Count me in. I was a subscriber to the International Wargamer magazine from Dec 1969 to issue 64 in 1973. If you are the same John Bobek who was the editor of that magazine, then we would have corresponded a few times: you printed a few of my articles (you must have been really desperate... I was still in high school and *not* a good writer at all!). I also worked on the magazine by typing up articles for paste up in justified columns on a manual typewriter. Hard, boring work for no pay... yes, those were the good old days.

I still have all of those magazines, and the club Constitution, and whatever else got mailed out to members, or stuffed in with the magazine issues.

But, does this really mean that I've become an old-timer? cry

Yes, I do remember you now. Yes, I am the same John Bobek. You can't be very old, you're still younger than me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cortn wrote:
Count me in. I did a couple of Cartoons for the IFW.

Cort N

Cool! You should scan them and post them here! I had a lot of fun working on the the IW. The people were great. The business end, not so good (and the post office had it in for us!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No but I was at the International wargames Federation championship in 2004...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jawix wrote:
Wargamer204 wrote:

Now that is one of the pictures which make me wish to be born 20 to 30 years earlier ... and in the US. To meet a guy like Gary Gygax would have been a great gift to me.

Yes, yes it was. Before D+D, he was a regular boardgamer, some Diplomacy (one of his variants was Indianomacy - I played the Illini, natch). and miniatures wargaming. In some ways, he was a mentor. His good grace and humor while playing and judging were an inspiration. And he is the reason why I design games that move fast. Going into his "dungeon" at his house with Bob Mijonovich, Ernie Gygax and others, he kept the tempo real time. If you spent time debating what to do, you were in big trouble! His dungeons played out like a movie and my games are designed to do the same. Thanks Gary!

Gary playing in a WWII armor battle that I was judging at Madison, WI. I didn't know enough to know that I didn't know much about what I was doing then. Gary was very gracious and helpful. Was I EVER that young?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Troymk1 wrote:
No but I was at the International wargames Federation championship in 2004...

Close, but no cigar! Which is actually healthier for you that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Wargamer204 wrote:

The game was an Avalon Hill game. I've played it but never owned it and the name escapes me at the moment. I'd look it up but I'm supposed to be doing something else right now. It's WWII eastern front.

Gary was already a family man and a Jehovah's Witness. Woodstock was out of the question. The moon landing didn't happen during the convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably Stalingrad, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
Presumably Stalingrad, then.

Thanks! I thought it might be, but wasn't 100% sure. Boy, I'm sure doing a lot of work, aren't I?soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

IFW members Tony Morale and Mike Reese at an IFW convention at UIC. Anyone remember them or their games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
John Bobek wrote:

IFW members Tony Morale and Mike Reese at an IFW convention at UIC. Anyone remember them or their games?

I have Tony Morale's tactical Flight of the Goeben game that was published in S&T #21, a WWI naval miniatures game played with large ship counters. He's the credited designer of four games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/5267/tony-mor...

And I have Fast Rules (WWII miniatures rules) from Mike Reese, one of two games that he is credited with:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/1510/mike-ree...

I liked Fast Rules more than Flight of the Goeben, but both were interesting and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the naval rules that Tony used at conventions. I believe that was the basis for his Flight of the Goeben, but I can't be certain. I have the Fast rules and used them a lot before my friend Bob Mijonovich wrote a set of rules. Later still, I wrote my own rules and that's pretty much what I game with to this day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer204 wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Wargamer204 wrote:

The game was an Avalon Hill game. I've played it but never owned it and the name escapes me at the moment. I'd look it up but I'm supposed to be doing something else right now. It's WWII eastern front.

Gary was already a family man and a Jehovah's Witness. Woodstock was out of the question. The moon landing didn't happen during the convention.

I didn't know he was a JW...do you have any insight as to how he came up with the 'Dungeons and Dragons' idea...it would have been 'right out of left field' stuff in those days,surely...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Wargamer204 wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Wargamer204 wrote:

I didn't know he was a JW...do you have any insight as to how he came up with the 'Dungeons and Dragons' idea...it would have been 'right out of left field' stuff in those days,surely...

Gary played a game of the Siege of Boden where the figures were 40mm medieval (somewhere there's a better version of this). He liked medieval (He started the Castle and Crusades Society of the IFW. With David Arneson, he came up with Chainmail, rules for medieval miniatures. Since Tolkien's Lord of the Rings was popular around that time, he added a fantasy supplement to the miniatures rules. D+D grew out of that.

The picture is from the Lake Geneva Games Convention in 2006. There's Jeff Perren, Paul Stormberg who ran the game, Ernie and Gary Gygax. I, Robbie Kuntz, and Bill Hoyer were arraigned against them. The game was the siege of the Moathouse using Chainmail. The game was offered for the old Castle and Crusade Society members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's Gary's opponents, Bill Hoyer (former president of the IFW), Rob Kuntz (like another son to Gary when he was little), and me. The Castle and Crusade Society was well represented in this vintage and elaborate Chainmail battle in 2006.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,it's all coming back to me...I'm pretty sure 'Chainmail' were the very first rules in use when I first started miniatures gaming with 'Ancients' in the mid '70s (this was before the Phil Barker behemoth took over here)...I do seem to recall a fantasy supplement to them...it's amazing what you can pluck from the dark recesses of the old noggin with a bit of outside prompting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Yes,it's all coming back to me...I'm pretty sure 'Chainmail' were the very first rules in use when I first started miniatures gaming with 'Ancients' in the mid '70s (this was before the Phil Barker behemoth took over here)...I do seem to recall a fantasy supplement to them...it's amazing what you can pluck from the dark recesses of the old noggin with a bit of outside prompting...

Here's some more of the photos from that Chainmail game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Stormberg hosted a Chainmail game with its authors, Gary Gygax and Jeff Perren and some other members of the old IFW Castle and Crusades Society. He had made up T-shirts and coasters with our old coat of arms from the society. The game had good (white painted minis) attacking evil (black painted minis). Gary was rather surprised when his ax wielding hero went through the woods and discovered the woods were ents who became belligerent over their sworn enemy, the AX.

Rob Kuntz (evil) rode out to stop the advance by the bridge. He was able to enlist the help of the inhabitant under the bridge (It waa a Troll Bridgewhistle). Though he did slay a number, he attempted to withdraw to the moathouse but was caught. He sacrificed himself so the orcs that had come out could get back in and the drawbridge raised.

The forces of good did indeed break through the outer defenses and the wizard (Bill Hoyer) was unable to escape. Victory for Good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lowry
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yup. I was a member and a senator and submitted drawings (that's my ship on the cover of issue 57 of the IW). I even printed a few issues on my business's printing press.

Don Lowry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.