Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First match, good impressions, want more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a review of both mine and a friends first match of Summoner Wars. He just recently got back from the travel in which he acquired both the Tunda Orcs+ Phoenix Elves and the Guild Dwarves + Cave Goblins boxes.

I knew very little of the game. He had only read the rules, so we were pretty much discovering the gameplay as we rolled. I played as the Tundra Orcs and he played as the Elves, and I guess this is not common based on what I've read on other people's reports and comments, I was offensive the whole time.

So we set the game up and he started. I was not aware of how quick the game was going to be, and boy, it was quick. I suppose I thought from the rule explanation that a maximum of three 2-space movements and three attacks missing 35% percent of the time would make the game drag. Not at all what happened.

I assumed, as I've stated, an offensive formation right from the start. I put a magic (Event card) Ice Wall at the middle of the board, siding with his side. I summoned my common furious warriors right there. They got wiped, but did some damage. As my friend discarded all his cards from his hand at end of turn (hoping for the Champion cards to show up), I stormed the field with Common units that quickly killed both his archers (he had one from the set up and summoned another - about the only creature he summoned before... well, that comes later) before they could do anything. So it was melee brawl all over the place. I also used my three freeze cards (which came in a lukcy row, I guess) to damp his magic pool, which was what he was focusing on after all.

As my opponet became unable to use his summoner into battle for fear of me getting too near of him with the furious little bastards*, I was able to wipe all of his units save one in the melee brawl I mentioned. My summoner's special ability, to use the walls to deal damage, was used twice, with good results on one of them.

And then he summoned the Drake. I figured it would wreak chaos in my low-hped units, so I went with a strategy of cannon-fodder. Since two of the Drake's sides were already blocked with enemy walls, I used two of my Shamans to block the other two and pin it (at least for a while), while clearing the line of breath, I advanced with my summoner and the little furious orc fighters to block Elien's ranged damage. Clobbering time!

I rolled three sixes and a five in the first attack my summoner made against his summoner (and the Elve's summoner has exactly four life). Checkmate!

It was an awesome match, I really liked the game (a little bit more than my friend, who owns it, but I'm guessing it's cause I won and he lost ) and look forward to playing it again. I want to try the other factions for a while, and play at least one 2v2 match to see if the game scales well - here's hoping it does!

For all of you wondering if you'd like this game: I expected a lot from it and I was satisfied. It looks beautiful (although the paper mat is really fugly) and plays strategically well. I don't know if replayability will be too high (is the setup always the same? Is there a point-buy system? I will find out soon!)...

*We had a doubt if Fighters could keep moving and attacking for ever if the player was lucky enough to roll all fives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vmgottin wrote:
I don't know if replayability will be too high (is the setup always the same? Is there a point-buy system? I will find out soon!)...

I had worried about that initially too. Actually the game is immensely re-playable because it relies on good hand management and balancing magic input/output. I find that most games are very different despite the simple rules and modest number of different units. The starting setups are the same (which keeps things balanced), however, you could change things up by having each player place one card at a time from their normal setup for a "custom" starting setup.
vmgottin wrote:
*We had a doubt if Fighters could keep moving and attacking for ever if the player was lucky enough to roll all fives.

Fighters may keep moving and attacking until they don't roll a 5 or a 6 for their fury roll. They can even fury after missed attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vmgottin wrote:
I don't know if replayability will be too high

I have 34 games completed-- and ready for many many more.

A game like this becomes better as you and your opponent get to know the decks better. You aren't just planning by what is in your hand. You aren't just reacting to what your opponent plays. You start to look at the big picture of what cards are likely still in the each deck, and how you can make the best of that knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Earls
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find enough folks to play in my area, for some reason my groups are not interested. I hope we can get a PC or online version, that WOULD BE SWEEEET!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockliner wrote:
I can't find enough folks to play in my area

Have you tried more casual gamers?

I find it works well for that crowd-- the rules are light enough and there is enough chance for them to be involved. It is still deep enough to keep me engaged, but I can understand why hardcore gaming groups might not be as interested.

Consider it a gateway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an iPad/iPhone version in the works according to Colby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:

I hope it works out well for Colby, but I also hope it ends up on other platforms. I am not buying either... even for Summoner Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear ya. No plans for either device here as well. Of course, I don't really need them since I own or have pre-ordered everything already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:
Wind Lane wrote:

I hope it works out well for Colby, but I also hope it ends up on other platforms. I am not buying either... even for Summoner Wars.

The plan is to test the waters with the apple devices and if it goes well spread out from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, I forgot to mention that I already had looked up for the answer to our question about the Fury skill.

Say, is this the most awesome game ever to come up with your own homemade content or what? I've played one match and the only thing stopping me from developing my own factions is that I haven't played it enough to be sure I got the strategy down right. In fact, I'm pretty sure the opposite is true

As soon as I have some 20 matches under my belt I'm sure I'll come up with something (I actually have already, but I'll put it down to paper if it proves to be a good idea)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vmgottin wrote:
This is a review of both mine and a friends first match of Summoner Wars. He just recently got back from the travel in which he acquired both the Tunda Orcs+ Phoenix Elves and the Guild Dwarves + Cave Goblins boxes.

I knew very little of the game. He had only read the rules, so we were pretty much discovering the gameplay as we rolled. I played as the Tundra Orcs and he played as the Elves, and I guess this is not common based on what I've read on other people's reports and comments, I was offensive the whole time.

Elves Vs. Orcs is actually the only match-up I've done more than once. I've done it once playing the elves and once playing the orcs and won both times, but I didn't write up session reports for either because my opponents for those particular games didn't put up enough of a fight to make it interesting.

Quote:
So we set the game up and he started. I was not aware of how quick the game was going to be, and boy, it was quick. I suppose I thought from the rule explanation that a maximum of three 2-space movements and three attacks missing 35% percent of the time would make the game drag. Not at all what happened.

Yeah, two spaces doesn't sound like much on paper, but with the battlefield only being an 8 X 6 grid, it turns out to be plenty.

Quote:
For all of you wondering if you'd like this game: I expected a lot from it and I was satisfied. It looks beautiful (although the paper mat is really fugly) and plays strategically well. I don't know if replayability will be too high (is the setup always the same? Is there a point-buy system? I will find out soon!)...

Yes, the setup is always the same. No, there is no point-buy system. There are, however, deck customization rules in the back of the rulebook if you are curious about what you can do. Regardless, I do not see replayability becoming a problem. After the first turn everything changes, often drastically, so the static setup is really not an issue.

Quote:

An obnoxiously lucky orc player could theoretically win on their first turn if Fury keeps going long enough. When I demoed the game at Origins, the guy showing me the game started to panic after his fourth Fury and third hit from one Fighter on his first turn. "I swear these dice aren't loaded," he told me more than once.

Quote:
Say, is this the most awesome game ever to come up with your own homemade content or what?

The structure is so simple one could adapt it to pretty much anything I bet. I think it could be used to make a nice, simple Battletech card game for starters. Walls become dropships, magic becomes deployment points, and the rest pretty much writes itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.