Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought 2nd Edition LB des Quatre Bras. I don't have any other LB system games.

On getting into the rules I found that units types (i.e. infantry, cavalry, artillery) definitely matter. I just can't seem to find a good definition in the rule book about which units fit into these three categories.

Further, in the zone of influence section artillery was broken down into foot artillery and horse artillery with no definition of the subtypes. Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the QB2 rule book in front of me, but I have the REGS XXX. Get them at www.labataille.us if you are interested.

Under playing pieces in the first few pages, there are examples of front and back of counters. Gernerally, infantry has a "X" symbol, cavalry a "/" symbol and arty a "o". Light cav has wavy lines along with the "/". Cav arty is a "o" with a "/" You can also look at the OOB. The names, regiment and division should give a indication if they are infantry, cav or arty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I hope you enjoy the game.

Probably the easiest way to learn about the units is to look carefully on that counters themselves and the organizational displays. The specific unit names on the backs of the counters will also make this clear, but you shouldn't have to flip over every unit every turn.

Let's start with line infantry and light infantry. Nearly all the infantry units will have an "x" on the front, inside the small square in the middle of the unit. This represents the crossed belts that go with an infantryman's cartridge box and (traditionally) a short sword. Line infantry (or just "infantry" in the rules) will have 6 or 7 movement points, and no cornet (hunting horn/bugle) on the back. Light infantry will have higher movement rates (8 or 9) and will have the cornet symbol on the back. These units will also have a range of "2", unlike the other infantry with no range value. French light infantry units will have the word "Legere" (French for "light") in their name, and will have both battalion and regiment-sized counters. On the Allied side, light infantry include the several Dutch units and the Dutch Jaegers ("hunters"), one Brunswick unit, and the green-clad 95th Rifles in the British order-of-battle. The remaining light infantry on the Allied side consist of companies belonging to British units, generally one company per battalion. The French light infantry battalions have dark blue fronts, while the line units will have dark blue upper halves and white or striped white on the bottom half (reflecting uniform colors and a variety of trousers). The Allied light companies generally match their parent units.

Foot artillery and horse artillery are generally easy to spot. Foot artillery will have a "dot" in the square in the center of the unit (representing a cannon ball) and crossed cannon barrels between the unit values. Most are 2-increment units with a 6 movement value. Horse artillery will have a single diagonal line in addition to the dot in the box, representing the shoulder belt that would hold a cavalryman's carbine. Horse artillery generally has higher movement rates so that they can keep pace with cavalry units on the march (8 or higher movement points).

Cavalry units are the most varied in appearance. I don't have the rules in front of me at the moment, but movement point value usually determines if a cavalry unit is "light" or "heavy". I believe 12 movement points or less defines heavy cavalry (dragoons, cuirassiers) while 13 or higher corresponds to light cavalry (hussars, lancers). Most cavalry units have a diagonal line across the square in the center of the unit. Cuirassier have a metal-colored (silver for most, bronze for the carabinier) representing their metal breastplates. Some of the light cavalry will have horizontal lines across the front, and belts across the middle of the counter with bands of color. The former represents the braided palisse of the light cavalry (and some have the dolman "draped" from the "shoulder" of the square). Lancers have crossed lances betweent the movement value and number of increments on the counter front.

The organization in the unit display will help you sort out the unit types as well. The French corps have a few divisions in each one, mostly composed of line infantry, but many will have a regiment or two of light infantry. Prince Jerome has (I think) an entire brigade of light infantry. Each corps has some intrinsic artillery, horse artillery, and light cavalry - usually at least two of these units have mounted skirmish capability. Finally, the French have some corps which are nothing but cavalry, and these have horse artillery to go with them. The Allied side is more of a hodge-podge. but you will see that the Brunswick contingent is like a small corps of all arms. The Dutch have several infantry and cavalry brigades, while the Britsh have their infantry brigades and divisions. Cavalry on their side is organized differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete_g wrote:
I don't have the QB2 rule book in front of me, but I have the REGS XXX. Get them at www.labataille.us if you are interested.

Under playing pieces in the first few pages, there are examples of front and back of counters. Gernerally, infantry has a "X" symbol, cavalry a "/" symbol and arty a "o". Light cav has wavy lines along with the "/". Cav arty is a "o" with a "/" You can also look at the OOB. The names, regiment and division should give a indication if they are infantry, cav or arty

Yikes!!! I checked out the website and downloaded the REGS. I don't really know what I am looking at though. How does that rule book play together with the QB2 rulebook I have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_peabody wrote:
Mark, I hope you enjoy the game.

Thanks, me too. I have a friend who wants to play by email. So I went and bought the game. Your explanations will be very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The REGS are for those who want more detail in their La Bataille games. Other gamers are working at putting together the game-specific rules that need to be applied for each game to work with the REGS.

Just use the rules that came in the box for now - you'll have plenty to learn and a fun game to play. If there's aspects that seem unsatisfying, or you want to buy other games in the series, consult the REGS for more detailed alternative rules.

A "simplified" set of rules, the Marie Louises, will be coming with the new edition of La Bataille de la Moscowa. Like the REGS, they should be applicable to any game in the series. I haven't seen them, but I imagine they might be similar is most respects to the rules that came with QB2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the benefit of the BGG community here is the answer I got from Clash of Arms:

Part One

In the box on the counter infantry usually have the crossed belts "X"
unless they are elite, in which case they may have some other symbol
(like a flaming grenade). Light infantry will also have a cornet,
hunting horn, or powder horn. Heavy cavalry have movements of 10 or
11, light cavalry more (14, 15 or even some rare 16s). In their box
they may have a pelisse or a single slash, a la the NATO symbol.

Part Two

Foot artillery generally have movement potential of 6, horse artillery
more than that. Also, the box for foot artillery simply has a ball in
it, whereas horse artillery have the ball and cavalry slash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.