Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Thank you BGG for teaching me about Comic Sans Font *eye roll* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, ok, OK ALREADY! I get that people don't like Comic Sans font! Can we move on? (Unless BGG can allow me to ignore posts with certain phrases in my alerts.) I'd never even heard of this font until DotR, and I would never noticed it or had a problem with it had it not been for BGG.

Seriously, if this particular font is the worst fault a game can have, then we're being just a bit nit-picky, wouldn't ya say? Now, like others, I'm not real wild about the board itself, however, that alone has never been a make or break issue with me.

Am I just not enough of a game snob? With time, will I get there while sipping Earl Grey tea, nibbling scones, and uttering "Bravo" while watching Cricket tournaments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HEY! I like Earl Gray tea...

Seriously though you're right, it isn't a big deal. I know Comic Sans is overused and it does kind of clash with the professionalism of Elmore's art but it isn't a deal breaker. We buy and play games mostly for how they play, I don't think the way the language is printed on the cards is going to screw that up much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
Ok, ok, OK ALREADY! I get that people don't like Comic Sans font! Can we move on?

And yet you created another thread about it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really perplexed as to how this particular font affects game play. I played Defenders of the Realm three times, twice with Richard Launius, and never even noticed the damn font. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Aging One wrote:
I'm really perplexed as to how this particular font affects game play. I played Defenders of the Realm three times, twice with Richard Launius, and never even noticed the damn font.

A graphic border made up of severed kittens heads around the edge of the board wouldn't affect game play either but some might call it a rather unfortunate design choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the font were labeled anything other than "comic" people wouldn't care. Comic seems to imply "immature" or "amateur". If it were instead "Century Sans" nobody would notice.

I can't wait for my pre-order to arrive (seriously, when are you coming?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like Comic Sans. It's very readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
I actually like Comic Sans. It's very readable.
... and goes well with almost anything: Earl Grey tea, strawberry scones, severed kittens heads...

Seriously, I love this game. Board & font detract not one bit from the fun I am having playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
Aging One wrote:
I'm really perplexed as to how this particular font affects game play. I played Defenders of the Realm three times, twice with Richard Launius, and never even noticed the damn font.

A graphic border made up of severed kittens heads around the edge of the board wouldn't affect game play either but some might call it a rather unfortunate design choice.

Only if for some incomprehensible reason you are fond of kittens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KITTEN SKULLS FOR THE KITTEN SKULL THRONE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gschmidl wrote:
KITTEN SKULLS FOR THE KITTEN SKULL THRONE

I need to quote this so as to formally acknowledge my very real LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
PAWS FOR THE PAW GOD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
JYoder wrote:

Am I just not enough of a game snob? With time, will I get there while sipping Earl Grey tea, nibbling scones, and uttering "Bravo" while watching Cricket tournaments?

You poor, poor, neglected colonialist. Are you that far lost? You won't be a snob if you behave like that; we'll laugh and jeer at your lack of aplomb. "Bravo" we acclaim at the opera when we're not cheering "bravissimo". At the cricket it's, "Well done, old chap," if we're playing or polite applause if we're not. Wouldn't be cricket to cry out in Italian at an English pastime. As a cricket snob I can tell you that if it's a tournament it's not cricket. A cricket match takes place over five days and several matches together may comprise a series. Cricket tournaments are composed of nothing but wog matches, full of those nasty fifty-over one-day games or even twenty-over affairs. Indecent.

(For the benefit of my foreign readers whose knowledge of cricket doesn't extend past Douglas Adams's parody, you might find it hard to find a meaning for "wog". It's a term that means "to bat wildly" and while it can score runs quickly it also often involves getting out quickly. It has absolutely no connection to race. A first-class cricket match nowadays lasts five days but there wasn't a limit before and matches could--rarely--last two weeks or more. There are people who opine that, while schoolboys and local clubs might not be able to engage in them but they are the training grounds for future players, anything other than a test match is an affront to the spirit of the game and is not cricket. The rise of limited overs cricket popularity threatens the continued existence of first-class cricket as not many people can spend five days in a row watching one game and even fewer want to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
kronlin wrote:
If it were instead "Century Sans" nobody would notice.

Some people might. In American typography "gothic" means "sans serif" so Century Sans could be expected to bear a strong relationship to, perhaps as a non-Monotype version of, Century Gothic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.