Subject: Game or Sim rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, we're close to the end of our second game, using scenario 2.

I'm 3 hexes away from Murmansk. My Axis opponent is beginning to wonder: ever since the game started on Day 5A, he's been actively going after me, searching in every hex I've been in, during most of the ever-present Reduce Visibility. And not finding me.

The only damage my merchants have taken has been 2 lost to the Straggler event, and one to ice. Last night, he was finally able to spot my shadowed forces and get a successful Location Draw. In went his 6 airplanes.

I blew 2 out of the sky with AA, and his airplanes hit... nothing. His torpedoes hit... nothing.

While I'm quite happy this game with getting my merchants so close to Murmansk, I'm tempering that the knowledge that I'll be playing Axis next time. And not finding him.

So, we seems to be missing something. With only one card drawn per turn for each of my blocks, he's not able to find me. And if he does find me, and shadow me, then he still has to do a Locating Draw. Which, up until last night and one previous turn involving a single sub, he hasn't been able to make. So: with all the developed sections in the rulebook about sub, air, and surface combat, there doesn't seem to be alot of it in the game.

So, we're kind of wondering: is this a game, or a very accurate sim, a sim where very little combat happens? I think the Axis would have more to do if they had more surface ships to attack with, but looking at the scenarios, the Axis doesn't have many: just big bopper Tirpitz, Prince Eugene, one CB, and then the destroyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends... but you will get a game like what you've just experienced from time to time. Not always the most exciting stuff, but I still like the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What seems odd to us: the Axis player can send every single destroyer, sub, torpedo boat, battleship and cruiser into one hex with an Allied block...

and he makes only one recon draw.

We've gone through the rules again and again, to make sure we're doing that correctly, but it seems we are. It does seem counterintuitive that one single destroyer has the same chance as every German ship in the same hex at finding his target.

In PQ 6, we expected that with all night turns, that it would be hard for the the Axis to find his prey. Since the ice did most of the work for him, sinking just one merchant was all it took to make it a draw.

However, in PQ 12, with half day half night, the Axis player expected more success at recons. He hasn't seen it yet. If you're lucky enough to get a plane or wolfpack to shadow, that obviously makes it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each hex is 118 Nm across if I remember correctly. That calculates to over 10,000 square miles of open ocean in each and every hex. That's a lot of open ocean and the weather is rarely clear. Even if you are in the same hex, you could be up to 100 miles away from the other guy. There were instances in the historical campaign where large opposing forces passed within ten miles of each other and never spotted the other. So to me, it seems just about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had an interesting end to the 2nd scenario last week.

My 16 ships pulled in to Murmansk (2 had been sunk via 'Straggler' event), and then he pulled "Harbour Raids" special setup event on me.

He elected on a day, and a night right. He got 2 hits on a merchant ship, sinking it. After we did the score (I got 14 for my merchants, +1 for a bomber I killed. Minus 6 for the merchants he sunk. Minus 3 for my Command points. Ending score +6 for the Allies).

Which took me quite aback. Only 3 merchants sunk, and only 6 points, which was incredibly close. We also realized that if he had gone after my cruiser instead, his 2 hits would have been 2 damages on the cruiser, which would have given him 10 points, instead of only 2 for the merchant he sunk, thus giving him the game. (which made me wonder: why am I bringing a cruiser along which can so easily cost me 5 points a hit?).

Interesting end to the scenario. Next time, I get to be Axis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
why am I bringing a cruiser along which can so easily cost me 5 points a hit?

Only sunken cruisers score VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah. I thought Cruisers were Capital Ships. They're Heavy Ships. BB & BC & CV are Capital ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still on the fence concerning this game.

Is it any good solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Is it any good solo?

Nope. But it's a wonderful sim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.