Subject: Money - Hidden or Public Information? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think I saw this covered in the rules.

More importantly, do you think it's better to have hidden or public money?

In my opinion, you can make more intelligent bids with public money (at the cost of longer turns), but I wonder if it'll degrade into an overly computational end-game dynamic (e.g. I bid something up to 9 since you only have 8 on the last turn, and leave you with 8 worthless cash which aren't even worth consolation VPs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a few different game groups I've been in, if the rules don't specify we do the following:

If the game has paper money, we say it has to be "open" in the sense that your stack must be visible. But you don't have to count it for someone (or allow them to).

That's how I've played Neue Heimat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play all games open money. Otherwise it gives advantage to those that simply memorize it all. I never see a reason not to play with open money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I almost always prefer to play open in any game that has hidden trackable information. This game is no exception, I have not seen this game suffer from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it Cornjob's way. There are a few players in our group who are very slow with perfect information games; having one more piece of information to process just exacerbates the problem. On the other hand, I consider it a central feature of the game that a player who takes himself or herself down to, say, under 2 million Euros is really at the mercy of the other players. I think the stack thus needs to be public so that players can see (broadly) which players are financially weak or strong--and then punish the weak. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Merten
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I play all games open money. Otherwise it gives advantage to those that simply memorize it all. I never see a reason not to play with open money.

Why should this be bad? If you play a more complex game, this gives an advantage to players who can better think in an abstract way. At other games it make no difference how "intelligent" you are. All you need is dexterity,

I'm one of those player, that don't remember which cards are already played (lost cities) or who owns how many money. And if this makes me loose these games, who cares? The game can still give much fun.

If you delete all the things that gives an advantage to someone, it will be better to play Pachisi,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memorizing things != abstract thinking. Trying to remember everything is not particularly fun. Playing with open money lets you focus on actual strategic thinking.

But this is one of the old, classic debates of board gaming, and we can probably just agree to disagree and save lots of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear people have opinions on this. But what does the designer say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.