Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P H
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 almost 7 year old is my main gaming companion. I've been training him to be a geek since he was 2. He would usually get upset during games when it was too competitive and the goal would be to screw the other person over. So I've been avoiding those types of games. Well we just moved to a new house where we're a lot closer to his cousin who is the same age. Now all of a sudden his favorite part of gaming is sticking it to his cousin. We played Chateau Roquefort the other day and he spent the whole game trying to get his cousin's mouse to fall in a hole, loving every minute. I'm looking for a game that 2 or 3 people can play. It can be any type - a combat game where you attack other people or a game where you backstab each other. Anything where you can get get that jolt of exhilaration after causing pain and humiliation to a family member. The other main requirement is playing time. I would like to shoot for about 20-30 minutes playtime, but that is pretty loose. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! tends to go over really well with kids, and it can have a screw you factor or not depending on the players. It's not direct combat, but the game is about moving around and picking up pieces as you go, you can definitely aggressively move your pieces to adversely affect the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggestCheeky Monkey. The screw factor is a little more subdued ( you can steal animals from other players ) but this part of the game always seems to be the marquee aspect of it. Also, it's a "kid's game" on the surface but I play it regularly with adults and it's always a favorite when the time calls for a light/filler game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Giro Galoppo. Great components, short play time, easy to play even for youngsters, and you can play to mess with the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I enjoy Citadels for the trying to guess how to screw the other guy factor. My 5-year-old doesn't quite get that concept, but loves collecting up gold and building the buildings. It makes for a decent 2 or 3 player game (though we've modified the rules somewhat for a more balanced 3 player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of 2-player games that you might consider are:

The Battle for Hill 218
Court of the Medici

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry! Sliders

You can knock your opponents pawns into holes or onto 'Sorry' spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhitmojo wrote:
Hey, That's My Fish! tends to go over really well with kids, and it can have a screw you factor or not depending on the players. It's not direct combat, but the game is about moving around and picking up pieces as you go, you can definitely aggressively move your pieces to adversely affect the other players.

Not direct combat? Depends on how you play.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game that I loved as a kid because you could eat your opponents pieces with sharks and sea monsters that I still find fun to play today is Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Best of all its in the process of being rereleased this fall so will be much more available than it is now.

This game may initially take 45 min but after everyone gets it, it can easily be played in 30 min, setup would become the longest part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
One game that I loved as a kid because you could eat your opponents pieces with sharks and sea monsters that I still find fun to play today is Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Best of all its in the process of being rereleased this fall so will be much more available than it is now.

This game may initially take 45 min but after everyone gets it, it can easily be played in 30 min, setup would become the longest part.
I wish they would rerelease Fireball Island! cry You could roast your opponents with a well-timed lava flow (very visceral enjoyment of flicking the marble and watching it knock down your opponent's pawn), and you could sneak up on them and steal the jewel. Two ways to punk your opponents!

If fantasy themes appeal to your 6.5 year old, you might consider Drakon (third edition) or Cave Troll down the line. They might be a little beyond him to play alone with his cousin (BGG users suggest 8 and up), but I think with some coaching a well-trained gamer's kid might be able to handle either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Evanger
United States
Robbinsdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Check out the complete line of IPG games at www.interactionpoint.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had fun playing Knock Down, Drag Out with my young niece (7 years old) and the rest of my family. Of course, I am biased as the game's co-designer and publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harris
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend Flapjacks & Sasquatches. It's a lot of fun for the adults also and can be played with non-gamers. Nothing like the cute kid asking to play to pull in the non-gamers. It plays fast for 2-8 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaniris Arif
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii

At first every one is placing their people on the board and it's all nice but then towards the second phase of the game you get to throw other players pieces into the volcano, my boys 6 and 9 years old, love to gang up on me, sigh, it's a fun game and play time is around 30 minute mark.

Oops, I just noticed that you already own the game. Another suggestion would be Fish Eat Fish, it's quick and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Quicksand. Kids love it. It's got a neat "mystery" element in it of hidden identity. You're not *directly* screwing people over b/c you don't know exactly who they are. More like, you're trying to screw everyone else over other than you but without revealing who you are.

You could also look into Inkognito. Awesome components. You can directly screw over other players, but it's got a hidden identity thing too where one of them is your partner, you just have to figure out which, and then complete a secret mission together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most intense battles in our house come during Chopstick Dexterity MegaChallenge 3000. It plays really quickly and is great fun. If your kids can't use chopsticks, just use a rubber band to tie the handles together, then wedge something small (we use a small wadded up piece of paper) in place next to the rubber band, and it turns the chopsticks into a big set of tweezers that anyone can use.

Another very competitive game in our house is Jungle Speed. My kids love snagging the wooden stick before I can and leaving me with a giant stack of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polycrafty wrote:
Yoren wrote:

I wish they would rerelease Fireball Island! cry You could roast your opponents with a well-timed lava flow (very visceral enjoyment of flicking the marble and watching it knock down your opponent's pawn), and you could sneak up on them and steal the jewel. Two ways to punk your opponents!

If fantasy themes appeal to your 6.5 year old, you might consider Drakon (third edition) or Cave Troll down the line. They might be a little beyond him to play alone with his cousin (BGG users suggest 8 and up), but I think with some coaching a well-trained gamer's kid might be able to handle either.

I enjoyed that game as well. It got alot of play along with the original Crossbows and Catapults as that was fun to physically destroy the other person's castle....and teh stray shot with a catapult tilted up on end to try to hit your opponent's head (typically good once per game till they were smart enough to pay attention where your aiming)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
Fearsome Floors might work. Though the strategy to really stick it to your opponents might be a tad too challenging for a 6 to 7 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter really, really loves playing BANG!. It definitely qualifies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Evanger
United States
Robbinsdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Check out the complete line of IPG games at www.interactionpoint.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bolog wrote:
I would strongly recommend Flapjacks & Sasquatches. It's a lot of fun for the adults also and can be played with non-gamers. Nothing like the cute kid asking to play to pull in the non-gamers. It plays fast for 2-8 players.

I like this game too! Very funny and appropriate for all ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Moose in the House

Light-weight and silly, but fun for kids and adults alike. It is fun to give someone else a moose-infestation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knock Down, Drag Out: The Wild West Fighting Game
We played this at gencon and it was HILARIOUS and FUN. My kids can't get enough of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I was coming into this thread to list Château Roquefort but looks like the OP already mentioned it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rivard
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Advanced Squad Leader.

You'll get to watch as he grows up before your eyes over the course of a single game, and he will eventually say "screw you".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Case Blue...
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.