Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently not...

Quote:
A Carmarthenshire primary school is being told it must stay open at the cost of up to £110,000 - despite not having a single pupil.

Capel Iwan school near Newcastle Emlyn said goodbye to its last 12 children in July.

But education officials say the school must be ready to open in the autumn - with a fully paid head teacher.

The assembly government says the local authority must go through the correct procedures before it can be shut.

Those processes includes a lengthy statutory consultation period with people in the area, before the issue can be fully discussed by Carmarthenshire council.

If there are any objections, then the whole matter must be passed to the assembly government's education minister to consider.

The whole process could take more than a year to complete.

In the meantime, it would be illegal for the school to shut - even though not a single pupil will be taught in the classrooms at Capel Iwan.

An interesting story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you love it when rules override common sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
We are not immune to stupid laws running a muck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I understand needing to follow a procedure to close a school. I'm surprised that this isn't something that could be expedited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I understand needing to follow a procedure to close a school. I'm surprised that this isn't something that could be expedited.

Yeah, that's the problem. You would think that if a school had no pupils it should just be a matter of the council applying to the education secretary to close it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.