Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Yu
United States
el segundo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Catacombs yesterday and had a question when it came to the Lich's special power. The game is component limited and the Lich starts with all the skeleton warriors on the board. The Lich's special power is to flip a coin and if it lands heads, the Lich places a ghoul and if it is tails, he places a skeleton.

My question is where do these monsters come from - all the ghouls and skeletons start on the board. When a hero kills a monster, it goes on their card. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lick would respawn a dead ghoul or skeleton. There's not much point of tracking kills at the end boss since money no longer does any good, but it you really want to keep track, just write it down or replace it with a different token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless all the creatures are on the board already, one gets spawned. The Dragon has a similar power with the fire spirits. After the healer, we don't track kills/money any further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the ghouls start on the board. You're confusing them with Zombies. The Lich starts with 6 Skeleton Warriors, 6 Zombies, and a Crypt Spider. So, even if you did not los a Skeleton Warrior, you still have a 50-50 shot at summoning a Ghoul. And let me tell you, having 2HP and an Incapacitating attack, those Ghouls can and will make or break that battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
None of the ghouls start on the board. You're confusing them with Zombies. The Lich starts with 6 Skeleton Warriors, 6 Zombies, and a Crypt Spider. So, even if you did not los a Skeleton Warrior, you still have a 50-50 shot at summoning a Ghoul. And let me tell you, having 2HP and an Incapacitating attack, those Ghouls can and will make or break that battle.

If I am not mistaken, the Ghouls incapacitate themselves when attacking. The price for feeding on their downed victims, I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
If I am not mistaken, the Ghouls incapacitate themselves when attacking.

That's zombies, not ghouls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe DAgostino
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Does this action happen every turn independent of the Lich other actions?

So the Lich will summon one guy and get his 2 attacks per round?

He really should be (Melee or Missile) + Missile With only 5 health IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Elliott
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
This thread raises a question for me.
1. From what I understand, when a monster dies, the hero puts it on his card and its out of the game until the end of that round. Or is it put on the hero card just for tracking, and it is available to return to the game if an action allows for it?
2. After the merchant round has been played, do all dead monsters simply return to the monster pile, available for play again for actions such as the Lich's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During battle rooms, slain monsters remain on the heroes' player mats until the resolution phase at which time they are exchanged for any rewards by the players. In this way, it is possible for the Vampire to run out of Skeleton Warriors for his Command Undead shot if the players kill them all and no more are available in the monster pool. When fighting Catacomb lords, there is no resolution phase, so the reverse occurs: slain monsters are returned directly to the monster pool. This guarantees a supply of Fire Spirits for the Dragon (if they are killed before becoming firewalls) and ensures that the Lich has an infinite supply of undead to summon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Elliott
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
That makes complete sense. Did I somehow miss that? Or does that need to be added to the rules or FAQs? Thanks for the reply! We got the game over the holidays, and really like it so far. Looking forward to playing it more and getting the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a new interpretation/clarification. Check our website for the latest FAQ. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.