Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like rolling dice and would like to get some dice games but don't know much about them.

I picked up cthulhu dice and lost intrest after only a few games playing with three people and don't want this to happen again

What are the different types of dice games?

What else should I know about dice games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three things:

1. Buy the book Dice Games Properly Explained by Reiner Knizia. It's back in print and reasonably priced. I just bought a copy. It's full of great info and all kinds of games played with regular dice.

2. At the top of this page, click on Browse, then Categories, then Dice. When the new page opens, click the down arrow next to the Sort window, and sort by Rank. You'll find a long list of dice games, with the best ones generally near the top. Click any game that catches your eye, and you'll arrive at a BGG page where you can read all about that game. Then go back to the list, pick a different game, and read about that one. Repeat until you know all you want to know.

3. Take a look at this GeekList, and search for others similar to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice town
Formula D
pony express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm here for the ambiance.
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice is a popular game these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse I have dragon dice from back when it was new and I was only a little into games then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes chung I want dice town and formula D, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devi have you played Zombie Dice? is it very replayable? I'm thinking about getting it but I'm not sure we would play it much seems like cthulhu dice and gets boring quick, I do want it but I don't want to get tired of too quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan uses dice in a unique (I think) way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm here for the ambiance.
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also purchased Cthulhu Dice and was unimpressed, but Zombie Dice has a little more going on. Not super challenging, but enough to be rated the favorite quickie dice game of the guys I game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favorite dice games...

Monopoly Express - my favourite of the push your luck dice game. fits the monopoly theme very well. nice for a very quick game.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - dice and strategy have never played together so well. i only have this on my iPhone, but it is a great game.

Catan Dice Game - and then there is your standard (yahtzee-ish) set collection game. there is a second rule set that helps it to play more like the full catan game.

Formula D - a great board game that you are reliant on the dice. there is strategy playing the odds of the selected die to try and hit your next corner without overshooting.

Memoir '44 - more a light wargame then a dice game, but dice does play a big part. D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version could even be considered more of a true "dice game" then M44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since you ask what the types of dice games are, I'll try to categorize them rather than just rattle off titles like others here already have.

Dice Activities
These are not really games, as the participants don't actually make any choices. They pass the time and create social opportunities, but that's about it. Examples include Bunco and LCR.

Betting
Place bets on what will (or won't) be rolled. Bet against the House or the other players. Example: Craps.

Roll and Move
A die or dice roll determines the number of spaces that a player's pawn moves. Choices are very limited: branch left or right at a junction, move forward or backward, certain spaces may offer other choices when landed upon. Examples include Trouble and Pachisi

Press Your Luck
Keep rolling to improve your score, but one bad roll and you lose it all. You decide when to stop. Examples include Farkel and Mountain Climber.

Combat Resolution
Whether one on one, theater scale, or something in between, the dice decide how effectively a player's forces fight. Examples include Risk and Memoir '44. Also note that many role playing games use trial-by-dicefest for resolution of many situations, not just combat.

There are probably other types that I haven't thought of yet, but that's a pretty good start. Of course there are lots of games that use dice in some way to randomize events such as resource production and whatnot, but I'm not including them here because the dice are just incidental, not the focus.

Also be aware that here at BGG and most other places where gamers gather, the word 'dice' is not limited to cubes with 1 to 6 dots on a face. Any solid with any number of flat faces may be involved, although 4- 6- 8- 10- 12- and 20-sided dice are the most common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age and Reiner Knizia's Decathlon, and don't hold Cthulhu Dice against other dice games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's Dice

This is a great press-your-luck / bluffing game. Its one of my personal "10" ratings. A fantastic and widely appealing dice game with very easy rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kinney
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos Progenitus
Delve: The Dice Game
Dead & Alive
Tower of the Dread Mage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much folks

if you have any more name them please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dillon
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget:

Stone Age
Dancing Dice
Alhambra: the Dice Game
Exxtra
Pack & Stack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slounger wrote:
Well, since you ask what the types of dice games are, I'll try to categorize them rather than just rattle off titles like others here already have.

Darn good answer.

Let me expand a little:

Roll and move: Usually refers to Monopoly and similar games where you have no choice about the movement. In Backgammon, to name a really old but deep (thought provoking) game, you roll and decide how to move your pieces. That decision makes all the difference in the world.

Roll and score: Yahtzee is the best example of this, and it's actually a very good game, structurally; while any dice game has a lot of luck, Yahtzee has places to put quite a few bad rolls; if you play well, you can survive a lot of bad rolls, putting them into 1's, 2's, and some other spaces. You roll, reroll, and finally decide how to use the roll. To Court the King and maybe Airships are good examples of this type of game.

Roll and bet: Here you roll and try to figure out how your roll relates to the other players' rolls. The most basic game of this type is Poker Dice; Liar's Dice is arguably one of the best.

Roll and do something: In a sense, that's what backgammon is. You roll and then decide what to do with the dice. They indicate what your possible moves are--you can't just do anything. The big point here is that you roll and they have some freedom to choose what to do with the roll--in Monopoly and combat resolution, the roll just happens to you, and you have no control. These games where you have control over your future are very popular on this site and in the international game market, so I'll discuss several of the games others have mentioned of this type.

Perhaps you want dice to be paramount, or you just like them as part of the game. Perhaps you like them used conventionally (higher is better) or you like more innovative uses. Here are some games with comments (my opinions).

Kingsburg: A dice game, but also an "economic game" (also known as an "economic engine" game), a game where you acquire things that help you get more things--kind of a leveling up deal, if you're familiar with that term. Very lucky, and economic games magnify early luck or decisions from small, early effects to late, wonderful (or catastrophic) effects. If your first three rolls in Kingsburg are under 8, you're screwed.

Yspahan: Mostly a dice game, but with a board, markers, an economic engine--I'm making it sound more complicated than it is. Unconventional use of dice. Not a super-lucky game like Kingsburg.

Stone Age: A game with dice. Most of what goes on in Stone Age (yet another economic game) is about decisions, not dice. Dice are used as one of several major elements in the game, but they usually don't shift the balance of the game.

Catan: A game with dice where dice can have a major influence--so much so that a card expansion was published.* Dice can shift the balance of the game.

Genoa: A game that uses dice, but they're a minor part of the game.

*Why change to cards from dice? Take a six-sided die vs. a deck of cards with six cards, one to six. Use them six times. The die has 6^6=46,656 possible outcomes, 111111 being as likely as 666666. The cards have 6! (six factorial) = 720 outcomes. Once you draw a 1, you can't draw a 1 again until you reshuffle. This is why it takes an especially careful or brilliant design to make a dice game anything more than, "Who got the best rolls?"

So, does this help? Can you tell us what kinds of games interest you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Walt for that well writen answer, it was very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at:

Spiel

the new edition should still be in stock somewhere - even with some fewer dice than the first and second edition it is a box with lots of dice and lots of games in it

ciao

martin m.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.