United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I compare components of the new versions:

10 Characters:
The biggest change is that the character cards are now larger than normal cards. This allows the nice artwork to be highlighted and you should be able to more easily see whether someone is attacking or defending.

Overall the cards and artwork are largely the same. Card stock seems nearly identical. The card size is also the same (except for characters above). Cards are still black bordered so could be prone to getting marked up.

8 secret society cards.
The old version has 10. The new version has only 8. The crest artwork is the same but slightly larger to fill space as there is now only English on the cards. The pattern on the back is slightly darker.

10 Profession cards.
Pattern on the back of the cards is much darker.
Most of the professions are reworded and seem a little more clear.
Duelist is now called Swordsman.
Potion Mixer is now called Alchemist.

21 Object cards
The cardback art actually looks slightly lighter in the new version
Other than some slight wording differences, they are all functionally the same.

The extra components:
You also get a cardboard piece with 12 duel tokens and one summary card to punch out. It is decently thick cardboard. The summary card simply clarifies that the Order needs 3 keys or 2 keys plus the bag and vice versa. The text is small, with italian on one side and english on the other.
Duel tokens have red attack symbol on one side and blue defense on the other.

New version does not have any "Drink of power"

The box is overly large but needs to hold the larger character cards and the chits. The character cards don't fig snug and will slide and bounce around.

I will say that I can fit the box of the old version snugly into the other deck slot!

Overall it seems nice, but you can probably play the new version with old components if you use something to substitute for duel tokens.
The guide to the Objects and the Professions also may help answer some questions, I'll have to read through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this review of the differences.

Interesting that there are only 8 secret society cards in the new version. I guess they decided the game didn't work that well with 9 or 10 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
Thanks for this review of the differences.

Interesting that there are only 8 secret society cards in the new version. I guess they decided the game didn't work that well with 9 or 10 players?

Yeah it is kind of funny. The old box says for number of players 3-8(10). So was 9-10 added later as an afterthought, and now removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me make sure I understand this correctly...

The old version had no duel tokens, but 10 loyalty cards, and character cards the size of the rest of the deck, so literally the game packed into the size of a deck of cards. There was English text on the cards, but it was tiny and hard to read.

The new version has the added duel token mechanic, but only 8 loyalty cards, and the character cards are extra big, so I can't pack the game down to a card deck size (assuming tokens can be scrounged). But the print is much more legible.

So, if I want a travel-friendly game that I can play with up to 10 players and not have issues reading the cards I need to mix & match both editions? does anyone know about the logistics/legality of getting the new release and using artscow to print small player cards and 10 loyalty cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Let me make sure I understand this correctly...

The old version had no duel tokens, but 10 loyalty cards, and character cards the size of the rest of the deck, so literally the game packed into the size of a deck of cards. There was English text on the cards, but it was tiny and hard to read.

The new version has the added duel token mechanic, but only 8 loyalty cards, and the character cards are extra big, so I can't pack the game down to a card deck size (assuming tokens can be scrounged). But the print is much more legible.

So, if I want a travel-friendly game that I can play with up to 10 players and not have issues reading the cards I need to mix & match both editions? does anyone know about the logistics/legality of getting the new release and using artscow to print small player cards and 10 loyalty cards?

The box isn't that big, but there is a LOT of air in that package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nicholson
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version should I get if I have both available to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colnago wrote:

New one, easily. The english on the cards is sooooo much easier to read now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
colnago wrote:

I would go with the US version. The game seems to me that it has been streamlined a bit, and from what I have seen it runs a couple bucks cheaper than the German version.

The US version is one of my favorite deduction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering this game and was bummed to see the decrease in players because I run into needing games for 8 to 10 people.

Could you make the other 2 secret society cards and still play with 10 people since there are 10 character cards?

I have yet to play the game so I have no clue if this is feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeviantMagick wrote:
I'm considering this game and was bummed to see the decrease in players because I run into needing games for 8 to 10 people.

Could you make the other 2 secret society cards and still play with 10 people since there are 10 character cards?

I have yet to play the game so I have no clue if this is feasible.

I have this same exact question. Very hard to find decent games for 9 people. Is there any functional reason for the reduction (does it not play well for 9 or 10)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason you couldn't...

You would just need to add one or two more random items to the starting items deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.