Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: +100 hour wargames. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lupon
msg tools
I have a friend with whom I'd like to play an epic, and I mean epic, wargame. I'm looking for ones that don't have to be played in person (we'll both be off at different schools, but we talk every night, so something where there aren't interrupt mechanics, so we can essentially play by email would be good), and will take us a long time to play. We're both fans of games with complex rules, and are very patient in case turns take a long time to finish. We want something that can keep us busy for at least a couple months to a year.

(By the way, we are at colleges, so bonus points for something that's relatively cheap.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in ancient history, then Carthage: the First Punic Warfits the bill. Very complex. Very long. Lots of politics, strategy, and historical flavour. And you can play remotely via Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign game for Vietnam 1965-1975 might fill the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Empires in Arms or Europa Universalis or Empires of the Middle Ages could fit the bill, but none are especially cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Empires in Arms or Europa Universalis or Empires of the Middle Ages could fit the bill, but none are especially cheap.
I rate Empires in Arms a "10", but never with just 2 players.
World in Flames is worth considering (and it's in print).

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi LL,

I have three suggestions, of a lot of choice you can made, in the world of wargaming:

1) World in Flames - (All the WWII in a game!)

2) Guderian's Blitzkrieg II + Case Blue - (Operation Barbarossa in its final thrust to victory and the rest ...)

3) The Longest Day - (D-Day on a table!)

Unfortunately they are all not cheap.

Bye

F.

p.s.: Il lupo è meglio che crepi! Se non altro è tradizione.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lupon
msg tools
World in Flames looks pretty awesome. What we were basically planning on doing is each of us is going to get our own copy of the game, and we'll play by relaying our moves over Skype or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

WiF can be played via Vassal. 5th ed. module is here.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

WiF can be played via Vassal. 5th ed. module is here.

-R

The in-print version is WIF: Final Edition. Its vassal module is here: http://www.theletterj.net/

WIF live via Vassal plus Skype rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my, there are some old ones for sure:

Fire in the East for instance. It must have 3,000 chits alone. The map is really 6 or 7 full size maps. There are 3 or 4 add ons to it. Eastern Front or Europe (with expansions) at the brigade level.

Pacific War by Victory Games. This one is a huge one that is just the Pacific theater. Easily over 100 hours with thousands of chits.

Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising Sun linked together by AH. This one could get that big and take that long.

Of course, these are all old and long out of print. I cannot think of any American Civil War games that large or long. There are other WWII games already listed above that fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Carthage: the First Punic War, from GMT. It's epic, the main scenario is long, the game is still in print (on GMT's special page for just $35), there's a nice Vassal module available, and is actively supported.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13855/carthage-the-fi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG!

Unfortunately none of the titles I am listing are inexpensive but these are epic in game length if you play the full campaign!

War in the Pacific (second edition)
This Terrible Sound
Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)
This Hallowed Ground another Gettysburg game
A Fearful Slaughter: The Battle of Shiloh regimental level treatment of Shiloh...you might be able to complete this in under 100 hours, but I doubt it.
Burma- reprinted by MMP in the last year or so, could be done in under 100 hours but I have not tried the full campaign yet.
The Battle for Normandy- a very detailed treatment of D-Day from GMT games
Baltic Gap- this one might be debatable if it would take 100 hours to complete, but still a very detailed and wonderful game.
Epic of the Peloponnesian War- not sure if the full campaign would take 100 hours or more, but it is a long game in my opinion.
Berlin: Red Victory combined with ATS: The Fuhrers Bunker – Berlin Red Victory will allow you to play the entire battle for Berlin at the squad level! Massive urban combat on an epic scale to say the least.
Bloody Omaha: D-Day 1944- another Advanced Tobruk System (ATS) game covering just Omaha beach at the squad level.

On affordability I will have to concur with the recommendation of Carthage: The First Punic War as being priced well. I purchased a copy from Troll and Toad online game store for $24.99 plus shipping.

You may also want to check out the computer version of many of these games that make a massive effort more manageable by being on a computer. It may also make playing some of the titles mentioned affordable. You can also play your opponent online. Here's the URL if you are interested;
http://www.vassalengine.org/

I wish the best of luck in your endeavor! Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
The campaign game for Vietnam 1965-1975 might fill the bill.

It definitely would. However, I recommend playing some of the shorter scenarios first---if you don't, you'll get some turns in and realize that you've completely botched your decisions regarding the "macro" elements of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind out-of-print super-long monster wargames (which won't be cheap, even if you can find them and large tables to play them on):

Unentschieden
Drang Nach Osten
War in the East
Streets of Stalingrad (the 1979 version)

If I can think of more, I'll add them as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.