Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looking to make some block starship counters for Full Thrust.

I have jpegs for the various ship classes that show top/front/side views, and I plan to print them out and glue them over some type of material to make quasi-3D counters.

I would like to use some type of pre-cut, uniform blocks, since I don't really have the skills or tools necessary to make the myself.

I'm thinking of polystyrene (aka Styrofoam), but I could also see using balsa wood, or plastic -- providing that the cost isn't too great. Ideally I'd like to buy them in bulk.

I figure that the size should be about that of a small box of wooden matches.

If anyone has any ideas or links they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Scooter (JKN)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this?

http://boardgamebits.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just use matchboxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airship51 wrote:

Because the stickers wouldn't lay flat on the roof. Besides, the wheels usually suck and dont roll straight anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about wood blocks? Or clear stands?

Print & Play Productions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airship51 wrote:

I used matchboxes as a point of reference. Now having had a chance to think about it, I realize that they need to be a bit bigger,

Another problem would be that an empty matchbox would probably be highly susceptible to accidental crushing. I think that I need something solid that going to have the durability to survive repeated usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Not quite what I'm looking for. By my best estimates I need something in the neighborhood of about 2" long X 1.5" wide X .75" thick.

Thanks for the link, however. I found some things that might be useful to a future project...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
What about wood blocks? Or clear stands?

Print & Play Productions

Nice bit of self-promotion...laugh

Looking over your link I'm not sure if you have exactly what I'm looking for. You might be able to make some custom pieces for me. But to make it worth your while I would probably have to buy a huge quantity and I don't fell like spending that much.

However, you have some great stuff. I might need you for something in the future...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scootergsp wrote:
Ideally I'd like to buy them in bulk.

Scootergsp wrote:
But to make it worth your while I would probably have to buy a huge quantity

Just out of curiosity: Which number are you considering to be "bulk" but smaller than "huge quantity"?

Anyway, since low cost seems to be most important, try this: Find someone who can lend you a nice styrofoam cutter. Then go searching for waste packaging styrofoam. Usually you can find that for free. The quality high density stuff can be found from the packaging of stuff like refrigerators.

Cut the stuff to the sizes you wish and be done. Cost is zero (except a beer for your buddy with the styrofoam cutter) and bulk numbers are no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:
Scootergsp wrote:
Ideally I'd like to buy them in bulk.

Scootergsp wrote:
But to make it worth your while I would probably have to buy a huge quantity

Just out of curiosity: Which number are you considering to be "bulk" but smaller than "huge quantity"?

Anyway, since low cost seems to be most important, try this: Find someone who can lend you a nice styrofoam cutter. Then go searching for waste packaging styrofoam. Usually you can find that for free. The quality high density stuff can be found from the packaging of stuff like refrigerators.

Cut the stuff to the sizes you wish and be done. Cost is zero (except a beer for your buddy with the styrofoam cutter) and bulk numbers are no problem.

Didn't realize I was almost contradicting myself...

When I said "bulk" I was thinking of packages of material that you would find at a hobby/arts-&-crafts store -- with about 20 to 30 units.

When I looked over the link provided by Mr. Tullsen, I saw request by several other people that were looking for material for their own projects in quantity. Judging from what I read; in order for it to make it worth his time to fill my request, I would probably have to purchase upwards of 1000+ units. That's simply way more than I could ever use...

As far as foam cutters, I have seen people use homemade versions consisting of hot wires plugged into electrical outlets; but this seems to be hazardous on several counts. If there are any purpose built foam cutting tools/machines in existence, then I'm fairly certain that no one I know has one.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, since this is a miniatures game I would love to have actual starship miniatures. Unfortunately, these particular ships are from a certain well-known television/movie franchise. These are "official" designs within said "universe", unfortunately there are no officially licensed miniatures produced for them.

I do know that there are some exceptionally skilled individuals who can scratch build miniatures, but I know that the numbers that I would like would result in the cost being off the chart. Then there is also the potential problems concerning copyright issues,,, whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get some rectangular molding from a home repair store (or whatever you call Home Depot places). Then you would just need to make one cut per piece. Would need minimal skill and would be fairly cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some pretty nice chunky blocks in Founding Fathers. Not quite as big as you'd like. If you could find out where they got them made...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scootergsp wrote:

When I looked over the link provided by Mr. Tullsen, I saw request by several other people that were looking for material for their own projects in quantity. Judging from what I read; in order for it to make it worth his time to fill my request, I would probably have to purchase upwards of 1000+ units. That's simply way more than I could ever use...

If you are interested by what I have, just want to let you know that I take orders for single pieces! Any amount of pieces that you want is fine with me. I know that what I have probably isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I just wanted to throw it out there in case you saw something else that could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you thought about Balsa Wood and cutting it yourself? It's cheap and a small hand saw should be under $10. Another cheap option would be to get chipboard (I use picture matting which is about $5 a sheet), glue your images onto it, then cut out with a utility knife. You'll have thick counters and if you want then taller you can glue multiple layers together.

Acrylic blocks would be good but they're VERY expensive.

Here's a few links:

http://www.caseyswood.com/shoppingcart/zen-cart/index.php?ma...

http://www.woodnshop.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Scootergsp wrote:

If you are interested by what I have, just want to let you know that I take orders for single pieces! Any amount of pieces that you want is fine with me. I know that what I have probably isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I just wanted to throw it out there in case you saw something else that could work.

There wasn't anything that I saw that I could use for this particular project. However, I'm one of those people that usually has a dozen or so ideas floating in my brain at any one time. I'm pretty that at some point I'll be coming to you for help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancyr wrote:
You can get some rectangular molding from a home repair store (or whatever you call Home Depot places). Then you would just need to make one cut per piece. Would need minimal skill and would be fairly cheap.

I went down to the home improvement store today and found some pieces that could indeed work.

Thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, glad it worked out. I need to get down there myself. Building a WizWar and need to determine what I'm putting the wizards themselves on.

Cards are done, but I'm not entirely happy with them (they got shrunk down in printing, by accident, and while I thought it would be ok I'm not happy with the final sleeved product due to the extra space in the sleeve)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
the title made me laugh - "Looking for pre-cut blocks"

They wouldn't be blocks if they weren't pre-cut. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.