Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Pony Express recently, and one of the first things that came to mind when I saw the dice flicking shootouts was that something like that might work well for Jamaica. I like Jamaica pretty well as it is, knowing it's highly random, but one thing in particular that can sometimes swing the game out of anyone's control is the randomness of the battles. Yes, you might have plenty of cannons and the Sword of Saban, but if the other person happens to roll that explosion, then you're SOL. That seems to happen to me all the time, and I just have to laugh it off,,.

But as long as it's already something of a crapshoot, I think it could be at least more fun to have the battles in Jamaica work like the dice shootouts in Pony Express. I suppose that would make the cannons obsolete, though, or maybe they could provide some other benefit. Perhaps you spend cannons to flick that number of times, and whoever hits the other player more times wins the battle. Anyway, I may have to try that next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you assume everybody played Pony Express and knows how these dice shootouts work? Please be so kind and explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player confronts another player for a shootout, they set their pawns up on opposite sides of the board and proceed to flick one of the dice at each other in turn until one person is hit (or it's a draw if neither are hit). I think it'd be easy to do the same thing with Jamaica ship battles, though as I said, what to do with the acquired cannons would be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Sanchez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this variant could be very funny as this fighting system is like pirate combat shooting one ship to the other one .

On every duel, you could shoot the other ship once, but spending 2 acquired cannons you can try another shoot in this way, you can spend 4 cannons token (before duel begins) to shoot your opponent three times 1 normal shoot + 2 cannon shoots.

If you want make it more interesting, try to shot the other ship without previously touch board, if board is shot before ship, this shot is lost (in this variant, I think it must be 1 cannon token for one shot).

I try this variant as soon as possible

Sorry for my english, I hope you understand me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So has anyone actually tried this yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roberto rodriguez baez
Spain
Valladolid
Valladolid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me. It´s great. We used the following variant rules for a total experienced game of piracy and madness:

1) It´s a 5 players game.
2) There is always a Ghost Ship, played every turn by the last ship (die for draws).
3) Kraken: Using the Cyclades kraken mini, we put a kraken in the closest to the first player red line. Kraken moves 1 space to the nearest ship. If the kraken is in the same space than a ship, this ship loses all its gold (krakens eats gold, as you know...) and the evening movement phase. Another double puts the kraken again in another red line as well (it´s not a teleporting ability: Krakens can swim faster under the waters).
4) Pony Express fighting style, spending 2 cannon tokens for every additional shot (alferez159). The ship with the less cargo weight, puts its mini showing the front, not the side (it represents the better maneuverability).

Simple rules games are the best for house rules, Arrr!

(sorry about my english: I´m Spanish. In Spain, we learn how to survive in a world infected by zombies, not how to speak/write in another language. . . wait . . . zombies don't speak in english, uhm?¿).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.