Subject: Does anyone know of a good color printer on sale? 8 10 2010 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I have wanted to get a nice printer for some of the print-and-play games for a while, but haven't because I really don't know what brand and model printers are good for this type of job.

I know there are a lot of back-to-school specials going on and thought someone might have noticed a good game printer on sale?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks All!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your budgeted amount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I really don't know what I would have to pay for something like this, but I would hope between 100 and 200 dollars?

If that isn't reasonable, let me know.

Woot! for Blue Oyster Cult! I had a chance to see them once as Soft White Underbelly. After the school day ended, we drove 2 hours and once we got there, the guys I went with wouldn't dare to get out of the car because, well we were in high school, and everyone at the concert was in leather and spikes. Well, it was in an old factory building too so, ah well, still would have been really cool. (Which reminds me one of their albums is missing off my Ipod for some reason...not good.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Anderson
United States
Grantham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and get a laser printer. They are more upfront, but inkjet carts will absolutely eat you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought this printer:

http://www.staples.com/Samsung-CLP-315W-Color-Laser-Printer/...

several months ago after someone posted it as a hot deal, and I have been thoroughly impressed with it.

If you have a Staples nearby, call and ask if they have any offers for old printer trade-ins. They gave me $50 off the printer referenced above. That, combined with the rebate deal they had going at the time got me a color laser printer for $75. It even connects to our router for wireless printing. While their current price isn't as "hot", it's still a reasonable price for a good printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-6...

I've sold several brands of color laser printers. I've been partial to Xerox brand for the degree of support and the One Year On-site Warranty. My only aggravation with them is their direct website linked to above sometimes has Rebates and Promos that will sell the products for LESS than my dealer cost.

I have little experience with HP color printers. Lexmark color printers have higher supply costs per page than most. Kyocera printers have the lowest cost per page but they are less common in America than elsewhere.

Absolutely avoid ink jet printers. The cost per page for documents with any graphic content like PNP game components will be enormous. Over a short period of time you'll pay the price of a good laser printer in your ink toner costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NojNosredna wrote:
Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and get a laser printer. They are more upfront, but inkjet carts will absolutely eat you up.

No matter what you decide on, the cost of the printer is negligible compared to the price of ink. That's how they make their money off you. Even though you might see a printer on sale for some amazing price, it's not worth it if you go broke as soon as the intro cartridge runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Samsung makes a good product. In fact, they make some products for Xerox. The supply costs on this are a little high even at Staples prices. Black toner costs $59 and yields 1500 prints at 5% coverage, which is a couple paragraphs of text. Color toners, Cyan. Magenta and Yellow, are $51.00 each and yield 1000 prints at 5% cover each. Thus a color document with only 20% coverage will cost around nineteen cents. Heavy graphic content or photos could cost a dollar or more per page.

The driving factor is your expected volume of high coverage printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a MFC-255CW as a color printer - it's a combo scanner/printer/fax/etc. The best part about it is that you can get ink cartridges for around 6-10$ bucks a set from Amazon as Brother hasn't put restrictions on what cartridges the thing uses.

Quality of printing wise, a good inkjet on photo paper will be best your going to get at home from my understanding - laser will be a bit lower for photo printouts.

If you want really, REALLY nice shiny prints on normal paper you need one of the thermal sublimation ones that use wax blocks. Those things are great. (Xerox makes some). But they are EXPENSIVE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an HP Laserjet CP1215:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Color-Laserjet-CP1215-Printer/dp/B0...

I have never had a single problem in the 2 years I have had it and it makes GREAT prints. In that time, I have had to replace the cartridges once (fairly recently) and I print quite a bit in both color and just black text. It is an entry level color laser and some say it prints slow, but I haven't had an issue with that.

(Edit: spelling)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Xerox solid ink printers produce excellent color on almost any paper whereas laser and ink jet quality are often dependent on the quality of the paper. Purists may say solid ink color is over saturated but most people find it to be very attractive.

Ink jet liquid ink is sprayed onto the surface of the paper and may be absorbed into very porous paper if a lot of ink is being laid down. Laser toner is pressed into the paper with heat and pressure. Solid ink (wax based) is melted, sprayed like ink jet but pressed onto the surface of the paper. Being wax based the image is on top of the surface of the paper. Thus a saturated glossy image can achieved on the cheapest recycled paper. However the Xerox 8560 starts at $599 after the $200 rebate.

http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-8...

A key factor is what degree of image quality is good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Can anyone address the issue of printing on card stock and printing for PnP in particular? Do they all wear as well? And printing accurate duplex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do some searching, you should find a post about printers, especially cardstock printing. I print counters on sticker paper which I attach to comic backing boards. In the forum thread I am remembering, someone has a printer that they print DIRECTLY ONTO comic backing boards using the bypass. Note that they say that it's outside the specs for the printer bypass, but that they didn't have a problem, but they knew it was risky. But wow, what a nice "feature" for a PnP gamer. If I find it, I'll post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the cardstock - some is made for laser only and some is made for inkjet, and some for multiple options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, I'd love it if you found that. We have a ton of printers at our house, but one more can't hurt, especially if it takes backing board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:
I have never had a single problem in the 2 years I have had it and it makes GREAT prints. In that time, I have had to replace the cartridges once (fairly recently) and I print quite a bit in both color and just black text. It is an entry level color laser and some say it prints slow, but I haven't had an issue with that.

Agreed. We've had ours for 2-3 years and it works great.

We have had to change cartridges a bit more frequently, though. My wife does publicity for her chorus and that can burn through the blue toner!

The only problem I've had with it recently is printing on "inkjet" paper. I needed a full sheet label and the only one I could find was inkjet specific, not laser. The toner didn't adhere properly. It printed fine on normal paper, so it was just a paper comparability issue.

For an Amazon price of $160 shipped, it's difficult to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
The Xerox solid ink printers produce excellent color on almost any paper

A decade ago I worked for a company that sold and used Tektronix printers (which were are now owned by Xerox). The solid ink produces amazing and durable colors. I printed off some reference cards at that time and they still look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.