Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that these questions pop up at least once a day, so its better for everyone to make information public. Feel free to post any other questions about Phantom League to this thread.

Quote:
One last question: what is the Essen price for Phantom League?

The MSRP will be 50 Euros. The components are
of high quality and there are rather many components.
Playmat has an arrow and three dials, which cost,
but make game nicer to play.

Quote:
Will it come with the miniatures listed on the BGG page or must they be bought separately?

Separately available. We will have some very limited set of miniatyres, probably something like 50 each.

--
Timo, the designer of Phantom League
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Timo,

i have some questions about the rules :

* escape : when is the escape value of the ship used ? (extract of the rules => The total number
of cards discarded in support of the escape attempt is the initial Escape Check value, and
half the number of cards discarded to hinder the Escape attempt (rounded down) is then
subtracted to arrive at the actual Escape Check value.)

* here you substract half for hindering the escape but in the example the whole card is used ? is there something that i didn't understand ?

* the cards to discard for escape are they the cards drawn from the battle deck ?

* the battles are not easy understandable.. : do you resolve all the attacks first and then defense as in your example ? which cards in your example are played from the battle deck ?

thanks for helping me !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
* escape : when is the escape value of the ship used ? (extract of the rules => The total number
of cards discarded in support of the escape attempt is the initial Escape Check value, and
half the number of cards discarded to hinder the Escape attempt (rounded down) is then
subtracted to arrive at the actual Escape Check value.)

* here you substract half for hindering the escape but in the example the whole card is used ? is there something that i didn't understand ?

Hmm, something went missing in this section between the time I revised it and the editor who took over from my work.

The ship has a Base Escape Difficulty, which is modified by improvements or stuff that happens during battle. The modified Total Escape Difficulty figure is marked on your player dial. The number of cards you discard to make the escape attempt, modified by half the number of cards your opponents discard to hinder you, form the Escape Check value.

Here's the part that's missing (recovered from my notes):

If the integer value of the Escape check value is greater than the Total Escape Difficulty, then the escape attempt is successful and the escaping player is no longer a participant in the current battle. Battle resumes normally from where it left off, if there are still enough participants.

Quote:
* the cards to discard for escape are they the cards drawn from the battle deck ?

They are the cards in your hand, that were drawn from the battle deck. It appears from the example, though, that one chooses how many cards to play for attack/defense out of their hand of cards (contrary to the "Reveal all remaining battle cards simultaneously" (emphasis mine) wording on page 12), so I suppose you'd have cards left over to use for escape, if desired.

(Timo, please check my inference here. It made more sense in the prototype.)

Quote:
* the battles are not easy understandable.. : do you resolve all the attacks first and then defense as in your example ? which cards in your example are played from the battle deck ?

All cards played during battle are out of the hand of cards you draw from the battle deck.

All of the attack/defense cards (that you choose to use this round) are revealed at the same time. In the example, they calculate the attack value for each attack, then calculate the defense value for each defense, and then the defending player chooses how to allocate the defense values against the attacks he's facing. (I wasn't responsible for the wording here, but) I wouldn't have called that 'resolving' attacks/defenses as in the example (and would have used that word instead for the moment of actually comparing the attack/defense values).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm thanks for answering but still nothing clear to me.
i think i will have to leave here as the rules are not clear enough.

too bad...soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We should have French rulebook available within couple of weeks (still way before game is available), which could be clearer in this particular case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We are planning on revising the Escape section.
It will most probably be something along the lines of this:

6.6 Escape

In the escape phase of battle, ships may attempt to escape the battle.
A ship's Escape Difficulty indicates the number of cards that must be
discarded in order for that ship to escape.

Each player's Playmat shows the ship's current Escape Difficulty. It
starts at the base value show on the ship card and may be modified by
certain Improvements and combat effects. Whenever any effect changes a
ship's Escape Difficulty, that change must be immediately reflected on
the Playmat.

If a captain wants to escape (and his Escape Difficulty is greater
than zero), he or she announces the attempt. For that attempt,
everyone involved in the battle (including the player attempting to
escape) may discard cards either to aid or to hinder the attempt. The
number of cards a player may discard in this way is limited to his or
her Support Total (the number of Support Symbols [SYMBOL] he or she
has showing). All players secretly choose cards from their hands to
discard, and when all players are ready with their choices, they
simultaneously reveal their discards and say whether they are aiding
or hindering the escape. For every two cards discarded to hinder the
escape, cancel one of the cards discarded in support of the escape. If
only one hindering card remains, it has no effect. If the number of
cards remaining in support of the attempt equals (or exceeds) the
Escape Difficulty, then the ship successfully escapes, leaving the
battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Hello,

We are planning on revising the Escape section.
It will most probably be something along the lines of this:

6.6 Escape

In the escape phase of battle, ships may attempt to escape the battle. A ship's Escape Difficulty indicates the number of cards that must be discarded in order for that ship to escape.

Each player's Playmat shows the ship's current Escape Difficulty. It starts at the base value show on the ship card and may be modified by certain Improvements and combat effects. Whenever any effect changes a ship's Escape Difficulty, that change must be immediately reflected on the Playmat.

If a captain wants to escape (and his Escape Difficulty is greater than zero), he or she announces the attempt. For that attempt, everyone involved in the battle (including the player attempting to escape) may discard cards either to aid or to hinder the attempt. The number of cards a player may discard in this way is limited to his or her Support Total (the number of Support Symbols [SYMBOL] he or she has showing). All players secretly choose cards from their hands to discard, and when all players are ready with their choices, they simultaneously reveal their discards and say whether they are aiding or hindering the escape. For every two cards discarded to hinder the escape, cancel one of the cards discarded in support of the escape. If only one hindering card remains, it has no effect. If the number of cards remaining in support of the attempt equals (or exceeds) the Escape Difficulty, then the ship successfully escapes, leaving the battle.

I approve of this revision, although it should say "modified by certain Improvements and battle events." Also, maybe in the main battle procedure section, mention somewhere that players choose which attack/defense cards to use out of their hand. That they don't have to use all of them, since the escape phase is at the end of the battle sequence and hand cards are also used for that. It's unclear right now whether cards may be saved up for this phase at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems my questions were good considering the 2 last posts => escape and battle is still not clear...you should revise quickly the rules about them !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:
it seems my questions were good considering the 2 last posts => escape and battle is still not clear...you should revise quickly the rules about them !

did you revise your rules ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised 3.3.3 rulebook is available in BGG. Errate from 3.3.1 to 3.3.3 is included in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a number of people would want to know what size the cards will be, for sleeving purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for delay, didn't notice this post.

Cards are standard sized, meaning 63 x 88 mm
and will therefore fit nicely in standard sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.