Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that since wilderness roads aren't allowed to touch other road sites, there's always a gap between them and another road (unless they are connected between two endpoints, neither of which you want to end in). How close you draw the wilderness road is irrelevant, because there's a gap there, even if it's difficult to see.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that a WR cannot be used that way to prevent other WR through the same region. Even though you could draw the crayon road with "no apparent space" between the WR and the regular road site(s), it should be assumed that another road could be squeezed in between.

Edit: This is, of course, just my opinion, based on my assumptions about the spirit of the rules. Alan may be along soon with the official word. I do admire the creativity of your approach. It's right up there with Kirk's solution to the Kobayashi Maru.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's blocking, but it's not absolute. Playing silly buggers by drawing Really Thick Lines is, frankly, ridiculous. Similarly, your interpretation would mean that wilderness roads were completely impossible in several places where the thick crayons wouldn't allow you to get to the city at the end where two existing road-bets form an acute angle.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thematically the players are mutually cooperating servants of the empire. Structurally and thematically the game is one of well-timed and efficient riding of the other player's coat-tails, using their efforts to build your own score. I suggest that any player drawing a wilderness road be able to erase and redraw and replace all other local roads as part of placing their wilderness road. This will not deliver the game that Bastian Bux is looking for, but it will produce a logically and thematically coherent and consistent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Ernstein
United States
Valparaiso
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Sorry that I have taken so long to get to this, but your discussion has been interesting. The spirit of the rule from the designer is that a road can always be build between two other roads. The card actually states that a road can always parallel an existing road. So I would say that you can't possibly fill up all of the possible space. The point of the Wilderness Road card is to allow people access to areas of the board that they have become locked out of, not to limit people's access. To quote Darryl Waltrip--it's coopetition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.