Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks back I got into a discussion with a Canadian friend about the different perspectives Americans and Canadians have about the War of 1812. While our discussion was certainly friendly, I feel that it is a discussion that would probably best be settled on the field of battle.

We are both primarily Euro-gamers/Ameritrash but have some experience with card driven war games. (And deep down, I might actually be a wargamer Twilight Struggle and Washington's War are two out of my three 10 rated games.) The game can be complex, but I would prefer to be able to complete it in an evening. Poking around on BGG, I came across War of 1812. It's old, but is available through the market place. So it is certainly promising.

But since Wargames really aren't my world I thought I would defer to the experts. Are there any other great games dealing with some aspects of the War of 1812?

Some required elements[/u]
1) It must have Canadian combat units.
2) It must be readily available (in print or easy/relatively cheap on the secondary market)
3) Must be playable is a single gaming session (let's say upper-bound 4 hours)

Any help would be very appreciated it. I've already poked through this geek list as well: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5617/190th-anniversary... Sadly, many of the promising games look unavailable.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
War of 1812 is the only one I know of still in print, but it's been a while since I've looked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of 1812 definately sounds like the game for you. It has Canadian militia, is very quick to learn (I was playing within 5 minutes of opening the rules) and very quick playing (1-2 hours). It is mechanically very simple with each side having only 2 moves (1 land/1naval) per turn but is not without its subtlties. I personnaly don't care for the game (being a dyed-in-the-wool grog) but I would think it is a very good cross-over game for newbies or europlayers looking for the extra depth and texture of wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Leroy. It's kinda what I figured. But I thought maybe there was a hidden gem out there. And if there is a place to ask this would be it.

War of 1812 looks pretty good for what I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ross! I was pretty sure I wasn't going to find something better. Thanks for confirming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Be careful which edition you get if you are set on having Canadian Units. I think they are only included in the most recent one. The earlier edition I used to have only had British units for the British (and one Indian unit).

War of 1812 is a very good game (although again my experience is limited ot one of the older editions, the new one seems to be brought more in line with the rules of Columbia's other games)

I've always been interested in a War of 1812 game that did a good job of covering all of the theaters of war, and not just the Great Lakes area. The gulf coast, the Indian conflicts in the south, the British campaign against Washington, the high seas, etc. Having a broader map would also for players to try their own strategies more than simply following what was done historically. If the British want to try and take New York and stir up "sleeper loyalists" then I say go for it!

The only one I've seen at this scale is Joe Miranda's magazine game, but all my previous efforts to introduce magazine games to my buddies have crashed and burned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rockets Red Glare is what you want if it comes back into print as is planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Mr Madisons' War" is a game on the conflict on the canada-US front which is under development. It's card driven and includes some of the political considerations as well as military. It's being designed by someone here in Ottawa. I'm going to have to get back to you with more details.
It doesn't game the seccessionist rumblings in some US states in response to this unpopular war. That would be a fscinating possible end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning Point includes the battle of Lundy's Lane. You might also look at Napoleon's War: The 100 Days which has some 1812 scenarios in the works. Hold the Line, while designed for American Rev, has blank maps and terrain tiles that would allow you to design your own scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury on Champlain is available for sale here on BoardGameGeek (check the game's page) and there is at least one on eBay right now (though more expensive).
A Mere Matter of Marching I just recently traded for a new copy. They are available. A few people have it up for trade right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for 1812, it is an outstanding game that plays quick and has a lot of strategy. Easy rules too, but make sure you are buying a new one so you are sure to get the newest edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I ordered War of 1812 but Rockets Red Glare and A Mere Matter of Marching are both on my list if this is successful.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Novak
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some repeats of what was already mentioned, and some other obscure stuff:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5617/190th-anniversary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex777 wrote:
Rockets Red Glare is what you want if it comes back into print as is planned.

Interesting, I'd forgotten this one. Had fairly poor press when it came out but has respectable ratings here. Haven't played it but I've yet to see a SimCan effort that wasn't more useful as garden mulch than as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for CG's 1812, still worth playing in my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Columbia's War of 1812.

As for invasions of Canada, you might check out these games:

On to Quebec: The US Invasion of Canada, 1775-76

1775: Invasion of Canada

War Plan: Crimson - Hypothetical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And meanwhile, for the big show over in Europe, you might check out:

Kutuzov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Fighting Sail: Sea Combat in the Age of Canvas and Shot 1775-1815 has a number of 1812 scenarios -
including O.H. Perry's great victory on the lakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Dabros
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worthington Games has a couple titles: For Honor and Glory: War of 1812 Land and Naval Battles pre-dates Hold the Line but uses the same rules. It's easy and fun to play, and although it's out of print it's pretty easy to find. Another is Turning Point which has a scenario for the Battle of Lundy's Lane, but I haven't played it so i'm not sure how it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.