United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When building a new coal mine (or iron works) we have assumed:

- Coal is placed on a coal mine from the general supply
- If the city is connected (by any player's links) to a distant port (marked in blue) or a port city where a port (either flipped or un-flipped) has been built (by any player) at the time of building the coal mine, then coal can be sent to the market.

In the 3 player games on the Germany map, it happened quite often that we were close to depleting coal (and iron), and thus a player could build a coal mine and ship all the coal directly (you may of course argue that the other players had a similar chance on the turn before, but did not take it, so it is largely a question of opportunity cost). Of course that's nice, but in this way it seemed that except for the early game, there was rarely any coal left in the coal mines except for in the early game - I found this a bit counter-intuitive, since I had expected the coal mines to be the main source of coal in the game.

Does it sound like we played the game correctly?

Is this something which works very differently on the New England map?

Unfortunately, it seems that we got one other rule wrong. When "creating a wildcard", I had assumed that you needed two cards to make a wildcard , but only use up one action. Since cards go at a rate of 1/2 action each, this means that you spend 1 1/2 actions to make a wildcard, and makes it easier to get rid of your unwanted cards.

The correct rule (I think) should be to use only one card, but use up both of your actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coal mine rules you played are correct, the coal and iron are more profitable to build when filling the external demand market.

You could argue that the coal is built when there is sufficient demand, building coal mines and having coal sit on it is bad business if you don't expect to sell your coal very quickly.

Regarding the wild card, you spend both actions and any one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minismurf wrote:
I found this a bit counter-intuitive, since I had expected the coal mines to be the main source of coal in the game.

In effect they were, just via the demand track (assuming you didn't go so far as to buy even beyond that) as all the payments to use coal on the demand track get, in effect, reimbursed to the coal mine builders, and the net flow of cash is just what's missing off the track atvthe end of the game, and those are also the only total coal used on all the building in excess of all that the mines supplied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.