Diggì
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I do translate rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, Geek-fellas!

Ready to start in a few days our first WW game, I'm looking for some answers about the rules from experienced players.
Here we go:

1) What "LOM" stands for? (ie: Fire Imp card text says: "once per turn per target in LOM") I guess it's something related to the action of throwing objects. Anyway, I don't have a clue...
2) If I throw an object, how about the range?
3) If a spell says that its target is an "opponent", am I forced to use it against another Wizard or am I free to target a creature?
4) How does it work Lifesaver?
5) Empathy: does it work only against a particular opponent or all of them?

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory:

Fuliggine wrote:
1) What "LOM" stands for? (ie: Fire Imp card text says: "once per turn per target in LOM") I guess it's something related to the action of throwing objects. Anyway, I don't have a clue...

I am assuming that is some sort of typo as I only recall a LOS (line of sight). Use a piece of string or a strait edge r laser pointer to draw a line from the center dot of the square the 'firer/thrower' to the center dot of the square the 'target' is in and if it touches anything that blocks the fire then the target is safe. Blocking stuff is usually walls or other wizards, etc. (It usually says on the card for monsters and objects).

After checking a couple of times, it becomes pretty obvious what is blocked and what is not. Typically it involves a character 'around a corner' and they can only be seen in certain circumstances.

The tricky LOS is around the warp. We usually try to find a path of equal length and condition somewhere else and use that as a surrogate LOS check area.

Fuliggine wrote:

Usually stated on the object card. I think the rules say three squares for a treasure, but I do not have them handy. You might not be able to throw a treasure.

Fuliggine wrote:
3) If a spell says that its target is an "opponent", am I forced to use it against another Wizard or am I free to target a creature?

Anything that can make an attack as part of its activation is an opponent. Thornbushes and rosebushes are not opponents.

Fuliggine wrote:

Play the card and add that many hit points to your total. I think that is the card that can exceed your starting total.

Fuliggine wrote:

As I recall, only one opponent. It might be all in LOS when cast, but I do not have the game handy.

I hope that helps.

I really need to get the game to the table again but have not been able to get to any gaming tables other than with my wargaming friends for a long time now. This is typically a terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
The tricky LOS is around the warp. We usually try to find a path of equal length and condition somewhere else and use that as a surrogate LOS check area.

Just rotate the card that is through the warp and put it flush as needed and place the warp back on the other side.

Essentially, the warp represents 3 faces of a cube. The actual location of the warp is meaningless and just makes up for the fact that our representation of the board is 2D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried that and it works well if the board is not cluttered or you have people with some manual dexterity. More of our games have been lost to Rotate or Relocate Sector than any other cause.cry Including cat visits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diggì
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I do translate rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers.

About LOM, I thought about a typo too, but when I found those three letters so often, I started to suspect something. More, when I read the text of - let's say - Dagger and Crossbow, it's written for both cards: Target = Any in LOM. So, it cannot be a coincidence! And it seems to me that there's no range limit, which sounds so strange to me. Text for Crossbow says: "when fired, each bolt causes 3 dmg". On Dagger card, it's written: "knife causes 3 dmg when thrown, or you can stab with it for just 1 dmg".

Lifesaver card says: "DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY. You are now immune to the effects of losing both of your treasures to other player's HOME BASES. This effect is permanent. Discard after use. Not applicable in a 2-player game". Is it maybe only a complicated way to say that I cannot lose a game if my two treasure are stolen?

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely a difference between LOS and LOM, I originally thought that it meant as a wizard moves meaning only a closed door would stop it but the text from a rules summary says

Quote:
Line Of Sight (LOS) and Line Of Motion (LOM)
If a spell is LOS (Line Of Sight), that means you must be able to see your target.
• To determine if you have LOS to a target, draw an imaginary line between the dot at the center of the square you’re in and the dot at the center of the square the target is in; you have LOS if the line doesn’t cross any walls (or other obstacles that block LOS). Characters normally do not block LOS.
• If you are targeting a wall, or a corridor, you determine LOS by drawing an imaginary line between the dot you’re on and the center of the wall segment (or corridor).
• Line Of Motion (LOM) is basically the same as LOS, except that certain spells or effects will allow you to see through a wall (extending LOS), but these do not extend LOM.

So according to this the only difference is that you couldn't use a LOM spell with x-ray vision or some such thing.

For the Crossbow I believe you are supposed to use a number card to set the number of shots you get.

Yes the life saver spell prevents you from losing if you lose both of your treasures to home bases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
LOM is not in the original rules, I believe it first appeared in Jeff Barrett's homemade set (which has been the basis of the rest of the redesigns).

It is a good idea, but it rarely comes up in practice. The Visionstone is another common example of gaining LOS but not LOM on a target.

LOM is required for a physical object like a dagger or crossbow bolt to get from one wizard to a target. Otherwise, LOS suffices for magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuliggine wrote:
Lifesaver card says: "DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY. You are now immune to the effects of losing both of your treasures to other player's HOME BASES. This effect is permanent. Discard after use. Not applicable in a 2-player game". Is it maybe only a complicated way to say that I cannot lose a game if my two treasure are stolen?

Exactly right. Note that you don't hang onto the card, so it doesn't count against your hand limit and can be DEJA VUed by another player.

Regarding throwing:

Thrown objects land in the targeted square. My 6th edition rules don't mention range.
You cannot throw a treasure (unless you have HEAVE HO or some other spell).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrown is one of the LOM cards meaning it cant be thrown through a wall even if you can see through it, you must have line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuliggine wrote:
Hi there, Geek-fellas!

Ready to start in a few days our first WW game, I'm looking for some answers about the rules from experienced players.
Here we go:

As someone already mentioned, LOM is something made up in one of the home made sets which means "line of motion" and is different from LOS in that you must not only see you target square but a solid object must also be able to pass through that traced line. (Ex. you have LOS through a Wall of Glass, but not LOM). Personally, I don't see that there's really a need to introduce yet another term into the game since it's usually pretty clear whether a card needs just LOS or a physical path, so I just use LOS in my homemade set.

Quote:

Range is infinite for a thrown object, but it must go in a straight line until it hits something that blocks motion (or your target). In fact you can throw something off the edge of the board and have it keep going in the next sector that the current sector is linked to.

Quote:

In our definition, an "opponent" is anything you're targeting - it can be a wizard, creature, or object unless the card specifically restricts it to a type of object.

Quote:

It's basically as it says - you cannot lose by losing both of your treasures to other plays. You can only lose by being killed. This would typically make you a target for killin' by other players.

Quote:

Empathy is cast on YOU, not another players, therefore it works whenever anyone attacks you, even if it's an uncontrolled creature like Fire Imp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diggì
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I do translate rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... what should I say?

I love you, guys *__* thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's basically as it says - you cannot lose by losing both of your treasures to other plays. You can only lose by being killed. This would typically make you a target for killin' by other players.
You can't be killed if both of your treasures end up on your opponents' home bases. You can still lose without being killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.