Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ancient Game I can play with my father-in-law rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Udziela
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
Hello, all.

My father-in-law in Lebanese (and yes, the courtship of my beautiful laugh wife was like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding")
and he LOVES ancient history, the Romans, the Greeks, etc.

What is a good ancient boardgame, not too complex? I think also with more than just battles, dare I say politics? He said he would be interested in playing with me. Not because he's a gamer, but because he loves the subject matter.

Send me your suggestions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander King
United States
Alvin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Ancient Games
I would recommend either backgammon (played all throughout that area even today, or I would recommend Ur which is a bit simple but IMHO a fun game to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few To Consider...
Sword of Rome by GMT.
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage by Avalon Hill.
Peloponessian War by Victory Games.

The last two games are difficult (ie. expensive) to obtain, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm
Hannibal is indeed a lot of fun, but it is hard to get a copy of. That said, it's one of my favorite games in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple.
Hellas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps he would like one of these top rated games?:

Attika
Through the Desert goldencamel
Capitol
Anthony and Cleopatra

Here are some more top rated games with themes he may like (some are wargames or OOP). The first number is the BGG ranking, the number at the end is the BGG score. (I'm assuming here he might be Muslim.)

2 Euphrat & Tigris 8.42532
17 Ra 7.89153
24 Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage 7.82832
40 Amun-Re 7.67635
80 Republic of Rome, The 7.49065
154 Ave Caesar 7.26249
158 Tales of the Arabian Nights 7.25571
164 Alhambra 7.24536
201 History of the World 7.13907
203 Medina 7.13402
230 Aladdin's Dragons 7.09428
254 Magna Grecia 7.05915
270 Antiquity 7.03571
277 Basari 7.02644

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
If the primary appeal is going to be the THEME, I couldn't possibly endorse a game like Through the Desert, or E&T, in which the theme is a barely-pasted-on accessory to an essentially abstract game. You'll have more luck with one of the wargames mentioned.
Have you tried "The Ancients" and its successor? Accessible, even over-simplified, rules for lots of different campaigns throughout the ancient world. Possibly the best bang for your buck -- second-hand copies are all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kraft
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The event cards of Sword of Rome make this a good choice for you, however I wouldn't play it with just 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
On the lighter side, Magna Grecia may be another game to think about. He might find Quo Vadis (must be multiplayer) or Caesar & Clopatra (two player) to be a hoot as well. Hellas (already suggested) also sounds like a good bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one!!!
Hey, Chris, *I* also have a Lebanese father-in-law, and I must admit I thought BFGW didn't nearly scratch the surface of what it's REALLY like to have an American/Arab courtship.

You are lucky that your FiL likes to play games of this sort. My FiL is banned from playing games as a result of being a sore loser 20 years ago.

I love Ancients games, and I would right away suggest Battle Line and Caesar and Cleopatra. Both light enough, but fun, and definitely have the correct feel.

Of course, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage WOULD be best and most appropriatea, as the Phoenicians founded Carthage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
History of the World covers the glory days of that part of the world! Maybe you could cajole your wife and MiL to play, too! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more to add
Mare Nostrum - definitely need a full contingent of 5 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not?
You could really go all out and try and get Empire of the Middle Ages. Not really ancient but full of content which he would love and if he gets into this then lets hope you like him cause it may take a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and for the future...
don't forget Hellas and Crusader Kings, two to-be-published block games from Columbia Games. Crusader Kings actually plays on the map of present day Syria, Lebanon, Israel and Egypt, so that should be comfortable for him!

At least you're out of the Bonjour Madame! and Quatorze rut with your family!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Udziela
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks!
Just got back from work...Thanks for your suggestions. I will try some of these out.

I'm the sore loser Ask my wife about Cranium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Politics?
Quo Vadis is the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancients game
Since marriage is for life, and your father in law sounds like a terrific guy, invest in the future of your relationship! Go forthwith to GMT's web site, click on the P500 section, and place a pledge for "Commands & Colors Ancients." It's a Richard Borg design in a similar vein to "Battle Cry and "Memoir '44" but with some nifty ancient twists. Game will feature multiple scenarios featuring Romans, Greeks, and Carthaginians with expansions promised down the road. Eminently playable, battles conclude in less than an hour, and no two games play alike. I played an early test version and had a ball. Don't miss it. Better yet, pledge for two--it'll get published sooner and you can keep one copy at the in-laws' house (they make great giftsDp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More ancients . . .
Chris, here's another one that will be out before "C&C Ancients"--the Eagle Games remake of "Conquest of the Empire." Larry Harris, the original designer, is very involved. This is promised in the first half of 2005. A big game, lovely components, several ways to play according to Glenn D. of Eagle Games. The game was originally part of the "Nova Game Series" (title: "VI Caesars"); later published by Milton Bradley in their "Gamemaster" series and now highly sought by collectors. The new version will correct the quirks and add considerably to the original design. Strategic level with some tactical battle flavor. Well worth a look when it comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.