Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: New card types? Action-Curse or Treasure-Curse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Smolinski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I don't know if this belongs in General or Variant, so my apologies in advance.

I'm wondering if there are plans in any future sets for Action-Curse or Treasure-Curse cards to be added into kingdom sets?

It seems like these could be overpowered cards for their cost, but with the drawback of -1 or -2 VPs on them. They'd obviously need to be used very strategically, but for good players they'd be able to figure out the best uses of them.

Maybe they could also have a subtext that reads. "If you trash this card, gain a curse" so that you couldn't just get the benefit of the power and then later trash it when it's no longer useful without knowing there's some risk.

Just throwing an idea or 2 out there...

Action-Curse
4 cost: +2 cards + 1 actions. -1 VP. If you trash this, +1 card and gain a curse.

Treasure-Curse
2 cost: +2 coins +1 buy. -1 VP. If you trash this, +1 coin and gain a curse.

Obviously, without playtesting it I have no idea what the numbers should or should not be, but I think it would add yet another interesting dynamic to the game.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for Victory Point - Curse

Cost: 2
+ 2 VP
- 1 VP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenix1967 wrote:

Variants. And if you looked you'd have seen this has all be doent before, however you seemed to have done it alot better by including the "if trashed gain a curse" clause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
david707 wrote:
phoenix1967 wrote:

Variants. And if you looked you'd have seen this has all be doent before, however you seemed to have done it alot better by including the "if trashed gain a curse" clause.

The clause definitely works better in removing ambiguities created by attacks like those from Torturer and Witch.

Though I'd still like to see an official new word for mixed types with negative VPs.

Here's a few old curse mix type ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Mo
msg tools
I'm sure they're going to come out in a future Dominion expansion like Dominion: War or Dominion: Disaster so don't worry too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

I don't get this one - why isn't it just a 2 VP card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it changes it to a subtype of victory and curse which increases the interaction it can have with other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

It's from Dominion: Crossfire. Explanation here.

phoenix1967) wrote:
I'm wondering if there are plans in any future sets for Action-Curse or Treasure-Curse cards to be added into kingdom sets?

As of a few years ago, no. There can be no new cards of type curse, because that type name is also the name of a specific card, and there would be confusion whether cards like the Witch refer to the card name or card type "curse".

The designer said as much somewhere; possibly in one of his secret histories.

Edit: I can't find an explicit reference... But there's some implication of this in The Secret History of the Dominion Cards, where DonaldX explains how the cardtype of Curse changed from Token to Curse because it now was the only card of its type. At that time, he already had designed about 7 expansions, so I wouldn't expect any cards soon that share their type with Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
col_w wrote:

It's from Dominion: Crossfire. Explanation here.

Thanks I missed that thread! Guess I was too giddy with my new admin status...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.