Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc von Canal
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trashing the game, just the rulebook the now defunct developer decided to include in the game. I understand that this is a translated rulebook, but so are most, since the majority of board games and many card games are developed in non-English speaking nations.

Having spent several decades learning and playing card and board games, and having just finished writing an RPG rule book, I have to say this is pretty much the worst rulebook I have tried to comprehend for as long as I can remember. For a while I actually thought it was a joke, for some of the incomprehensible sentences read out loud quite funny. I know it is a moot point, since the game is dead and developer is out of business, and I am sorry for that. However, my advice to the developers for future ventures and all those currently developing games: Get a native speaker to write or translate your rules. The Corunea rules read as if they were translated using a program (always a mistake) or by someone who does not have a firm grasp of the language. It is sad but possible that the gobbledygook that they included as the rules may have contributed to the game's early demise in English speaking nations. I purchased all the starters, expansions, and many boosters, based on positive word of mouth. I don't regret my purchase, as it is a good game. However, if I had downloaded and tried to read the rules before deciding to buy, I would have deleted the file after about the 3rd page and moved on to a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, good game but not the best rulebook. I don't remember it that bad though. Maybe as I'm not a native English speaker, I don't detect most grammar mistakes which I understand can be annoying. The game is far easier than a reading of the rulebook suggest. I'm sure that worked against the success of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules were translated by someone that 'claimed' to know English very well.

I got a hand on them and re-edited them over the course of 3 days.

The rules in your hand are the vastly improved rules.

I'm not kidding.

They needed to go to print and I had a full time job so I couldn't get them better.

I was prepped to do a scrap and total rewrite for the next printing, but as you know that never came.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc von Canal
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

I appreciate the explanation. I love how players and designers can directly interact on BGG. If I came across a little harsh, that was not my intention. I lament the fact that this game died an untimely death and never realized its full potential. I hope you have been or will be able to put your creative powers to other projects.

BTW: I know editing is a bitch. I have spent many, many weeks editing portions of our upcoming RPG core rulebook that I did not write, but that were written by native speaker, and it still took about three edit passes to get it all right. Fortunately we will self publish and are only on our own schedule.

Best of luck to you and Happy Gaming,
Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I don't take offense at it. I did what I could with the time given and I'm proud of the work done.

I think Corunea dies because it has a horrible first game learning curve since it really doesn't play like a card game.

It needed something like a "start here" first time play mat for tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.