Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: OT: Water and electricity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's raining here like there's no tomorrow - 50 mm of rain yesterday which is higher than the average TOTAL February rainfall (last year there were just 13mm in all of Feb).

So far, we've been spared flooding, but I was woken about 45 mins ago by a steady drip drip drip from the light fitting in our bedroom, straight onto the bed.

Looking around the house, most rooms are okay but the spre room has a leak from the roof and ALSO (worryingly) a drip that seems to be inside the wall cavity. I'm not sure what that means for electrical safety, but I'm not turning on the light (which is wired to right where that worrying drip is) to check the rest of the room!

I've rung and left a message for our roofing people, and have been in the queue at the insurance company for about 40 minutes at this point.gulp

GameGeeks will be glad to know that the games all seem to be safe meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander King
United States
Alvin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Water and Electricity
I know I may sound like a doom and gloom type person... but water and electricity DO NOT MIX.

I am particularly worried about the leak you mentioned in the wall space...

I highly recommend you cut the breakers to the rooms which have these leaks as a minimum until either the leaks stop or are fixed. If you want to be completely safe I would cut the power to the whole house until the above conditions are met.

Also, when they fix the leaks you should also insist your insurance company pay to have the sheetrock totally replaced and professionally redone with mold remediation in mind.

Just my 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Dreifuss
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow -- who knew I could get homeowner advice on the 'Geek!?

This place is proving much more useful than I ever thought.

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. We had a leek last year. The first link is to the whole sad story. The last link shows some of the damage. Icemaker line in the attic froze, burst, & then thawed.

http://dwayne.blog-city.com/read/homerepair.htm
http://dwayne.blog-city.com/read/961570.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I cant make Hide nor Hair
I was trying to relate to what you are going throug, but alas I cannot make hide nor hair of your so called Metric System.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The water is dripping from the light because that's where there is a hole to drip from. I would be more worried about water damage to the ceiling beams overhead than the actual elecrtical system. Unless you are standing in a pool of water there is no real danger to you. I don't know how old your house is but, assuming everything is up to code, any short in the system would trip the breaker immediately so the chances of anything bad happening from switching on the light are pretty slim. If there is a short someplace, the light won't go on at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I was trying to relate to what you are going throug, but alas I cannot make hide nor hair of your so called Metric System.

50 mm is ~ 2 inches, so 13 mm is ~1/2.

There are 25.4 mm in an inch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaargh, water damage
Good luck getting your insurance company to cover any water damage due to rain, floods, etc. Most of them don't. Ours doesn't. Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Metric System
But why cant the Australians just use the correct American way of measuring?

While we are at it you would think with all the technology of the modern era that the Aussie's could make their sink drains and toilet drains release water the correct American way as well. Clockwise all the way Baby!!!!!!!! USA USA USA USA USA.....

Oh Beutiful for spacious skies for amber waves of grain.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Quote:
While we are at it you would think with all the technology of the modern era that the Aussie's could make their sink drains and toilet drains release water the correct American way as well. Clockwise all the way Baby!!!!!!!!

When I was in junior high school, we had to do a project about the Coriolis Effect, and we were required to fill all of our sinks and then record the results. We did this throughout the house, and the rear bathroom sink drained COUNTER-clockwise. We refilled the sink four times to make sure we weren't all losing our minds, and sure enough, it went counter-clockwise each time.

My teacher gave me a bad grade. She said it was impossible. But my dad (also a Geek, believe me) and I both saw it happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I feel your pain. We had a leek last year. The first link is to the whole sad story. The last link shows some of the damage. Icemaker line in the attic froze, burst, & then thawed.

Wow.

Your leak was bigger than our leak.

Our previous experience with renovations/repairs was not good: http://www.bathroom.mcharg.net - I'm hoping this will be minor, in comparison.

Oddly enough, the sun is now shining through the window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Good luck getting your insurance company to cover any water damage due to rain, floods, etc. Most of them don't. Ours doesn't. Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience.

They don't cover floods but they cover damage from water runoff. I'm sure they have some complicated way of determining what constitutes a flood and what constitutes water runoff; as this water is coming from the roof, I am pretty confident that we will be OK.

If anyone ever comes out to look at it, that is ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would be more worried about water damage to the ceiling beams overhead than the actual elecrtical system.

That and the water inside the wall cavity are my biggest worries (well, and the risk of the plasterboard ceiling collapsing under the weight of the water-soaked insulation bats).

I spoke to a builder friend while dropping Biggie at school and he pulled all kinds of faces. Everyone there was in the same boat, trading roof horror stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

50 mm is ~ 2 inches, so 13 mm is ~1/2.

There are 25.4 mm in an inch

Latest figures are 120mm in the 24 hours to 9am - that's about 5 inches. That's an all-time record.

Apparently they have closed freeways (people were *walking* to the airport), and police are advising people to stay away from the city centre (public transport backed up/trapped at stations and depots).

More rain is predicted for later today & tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird Weather
Melissa,

You forgot to mention that Melbourne had its coldest Feb day ever, it hailed in Adelaide the first time in 27 years and in my street in Sydney there was a mini cyclone that destroyed roofs, collapsed trees and branches, through a wardrobe off a front patio and a whole front verandah fell down.

I blame me and all the other Aussies bragging about how good the weather was here when our Northern friends were whinging about the cold.

Just get the roof fixed and everything will dry out. If the water damage is bad you will notice bubbling of paint on the gyprock (if you have any) or discolouration. Otherwise its not that much of a problem.

Regards
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coriolis effect on drains
Your teacher didn't understand the Coriolis effect at all. It does NOT affect the draining of water in anything. The Coriolis force is too small to have an affect on something so small as a drain. In simple terms, the Coriolis force is the force exerted on a fluid (the air) by the rotation of the earth because the earth rotates at different speeds at different latitudes. This is what causes large storm systems to rotate in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere and the the other direction in the south. It has NO affect on a drain because for the most for all pratical purposes, all the water in the drain is at the same latitude. Water will spin as it drains in any direction based on the movement of the water as it is draining. If the water ALWAYS drains in one direction from a sink or tub, then there is something about the shape of the drain that casuse the water to start spinning that way. If you are curious you can fill the basin with water, give the water a little spin in the opposite direction that you see it spin when it drains and then drain it. Does the water reverse direction? If so, then something in the shape of the drain causes it to spin that way. Try the same thing is you other drains. You will see that once the water is started in a direction, it will be happy to continue spinning that way.

Water does not spin down a drain in a direction due to the Coriolis effect. It can spin for other reasons though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Your teacher didn't understand the Coriolis effect at all. It does NOT affect the draining of water in anything.

I was going to chime in on this but you beat me to it. For the record ... this teacher DOES understand the Coriolis effect (but hated doing 3-D derivatives needed to solve Coriolis-related problems in Phys331).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to what Melissa has already said...

MELBOURNE, Feb 3 (Reuters) - ...after Melbourne experienced its heaviest rainfall in almost 150 years.

...unseasonal storms swept southeastern Australia and the mercury plummeted in the middle of summer causing snow to fall in the mountains.

...an intense low pressure system moved slowly across the states bringing some of the coldest February weather on record.

"Whenever you are talking about records (being broken) you have got to say its unusual." Bureau of Meteorology Senior Forecaster Jon Gill told Reuters.

On Tuesday,the mercury hit 36 degrees Celsius (97 degrees Fahrenheit) in Melbourne, but could barely reach a high of 13 degrees Celsius on Wednesday.

...and the Yarra River, which runs through the centre of the city, burst its banks in several places.

There were no signs of the weather abating on Thursday as rain continued to fall across southeastern Australia.

(c) Reuters Limited 2005
REUTER NEWS SERVICE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You forgot to mention that Melbourne had its coldest Feb day ever, it hailed in Adelaide the first time in 27 years and in my street in Sydney there was a mini cyclone that destroyed roofs, collapsed trees and branches, through a wardrobe off a front patio and a whole front verandah fell down.

I hope your house wasn't one of the damaged ones!
Quote:
I blame me and all the other Aussies bragging about how good the weather was here when our Northern friends were whinging about the cold.

That thought occurred to me too Not to blame you (although that sounds like a good idea) but that this was punishment for hubris.
Quote:
Just get the roof fixed and everything will dry out. If the water damage is bad you will notice bubbling of paint on the gyprock (if you have any) or discolouration. Otherwise its not that much of a problem.

The ceiling in the spare room definitely seems to be sagging - I'm trying to think where I could put the futon if I drag it out of there. A tradie is coming to look at it this evening - I said "ring first" then got a call as I was about to meet with a client - "I'm outside your house now ..." Fortunately we've agreed a new time now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I hope your house wasn't one of the damaged ones!

House was fine but to be Honest the wardrobe was our one on the patio. Its been sitting there for a year and the Mrs always said it would either get sold or destroyed. But I can fix it-its just that it fell on my workbench and destroyed thatsurprise

Quote:
That thought occurred to me too Not to blame you (although that sounds like a good idea) but that this was punishment for hubris.

Blame away I'm used to it. Who do you think got blamed for the Wardrobe

Quote:
The ceiling in the spare room definitely seems to be sagging - I'm trying to think where I could put the futon if I drag it out of there. A tradie is coming to look at it this evening - I said "ring first" then got a call as I was about to meet with a client - "I'm outside your house now ..." Fortunately we've agreed a new time now.

Umm sagging ceiling-that doesn't sound too good. I remember once a mate of mine had a huge bubble on the ceiling after a storm, and as boys do, did not put 2+2 together and decided to prick the bubble well you can guess the rest (but I will tell you anyway) he got wringing wet, as did the whole bedroom and then was hung out to dry by his better half

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad I don't take a train to and from work. I hear that everything is jamming up. robot

And the building next to mine had the ceiling tiles falling off. Fortunately, my apartment was pretty okay.
And my colleague kept complaining that his windows kept rattling the whole night, and his open chimney was whistling non-stop. Couldn't catch a wink he said. shake

Just thought I'd share my side of it. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the builder has been out and it's not so bad. He looked in the roof and there is 'inadequate' flashing around two of the chimneys (I think we have 5 or 6 overall). He stressed that 'inadequate' in the context of the past couple of days is not necessarily inadequate in the normal course of events.

That's caused some water leakage in the two places I'd identified; he's moved the insulation bats and says the plasterboard should dry out just fine. We can replace the bats in a couple of weeks, and meanwhile he'll give the insurance company a quote on what it will cost to repaint both ceilings, which will be done at their expense. (This is extremely generous given that one ceiling has no noticeable water damage - at least to my eyes - and the other already had a little damage from before we replaced the roof). All I have to do is get a "roof plumber" (who knew such things existed) to re-flash or add some silicone to the chimneys.

This is why we changed to this insurance company. Suddenly everything is easy and helpful. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I got to spend the last four days in New Zealand where it was nice and warm (at least in Christchurch). They'll probably get all this weather in a day or two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.