Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent an email to FFG the other day asking about FOTB, below is what i sent off and the response fromm FF

Hello there guys would just like to know when we could expect to see
> Tide of Irons FOTB coming out. Have not seen any news on it yet it
> says its expect for this summer, only around 20 days till the end of
> summer now, and no news.
> Have been seeing lots of news about other game that have only just
> been put up on the site but still nothing on FOTB, I hope this is
> not the end of TOI I think it still has so much to offer in the
> future, love this game.

FFG response:

Hello Mark,

It's not the end! We just broke from tradition a bit, and announced it
a bit earlier into the development process than normal. We want people
to be happy with the game, and are fully completing the design,
playtesting, and layout process, as in the end, 'good' quality trumps
'quickly produced'.

There will be more info on our website in the coming weeks..

Thanks for your patience,
Thaadd Powell
Customer Service
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good response.
Its great that they've taken the time to explain the situation. Puts a lot of people at ease I'm sure.

Great job FFG!
Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could they be more vague... And please don't bother answering the question FFG....
yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdw3 wrote:
Could they be more vague... And please don't bother answering the question FFG....
yuk

What do you want them to say? An exact date?

I suppose that TOI-FOTB isn't a high priority item for them to develop than compared to other games based off previous sales. I am just happy that it isn't completely dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want or need an exact date, but considering they are "expecting" this to be released this summer, it would be nice for them to provide a target.

I am not looking for them to speed it up, the game needs to be correct. What needs to be explained is if the game is at the printer and it is still being devloped and play tested, then something is not right.

All I ask is for some honesty. If the game is delayed, then let your fans and customers know that it is being pushed back.

I am tired of companies (not just board game publishers) putting the cart before the horse. Quit setting unattainable goals. If I did the same thing in the industry I work for, I would not be working anymore....

I am just frustrated because it seems to be happening to every product I am waiting to be released and I'm tired of half-hearted customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever known FFG (other than surprise announcements like Android) to deliver a game on time. Not once has ToI appeared when initially promised, so I'm not surprised.

Like others, I'm frustrated. I'm a big ToI fan: two base sets, two DotF, one Normandy, one scenario book, a set of "improved" maps, two sets of Memoir overlay tiles to add variety to home-made scenarios. I have learned to be patient where FFG is concerned. I mean, I'm still waiting for Reins of Power...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Microver99 wrote:
... I have learned to be patient where FFG is concerned. I mean, I'm still waiting for Reins of Power...

Yeah, I was totally pumped for Reins of Power... I do think that one is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdw3 wrote:
I don't want or need an exact date, but considering they are "expecting" this to be released this summer, it would be nice for them to provide a target.

I am not looking for them to speed it up, the game needs to be correct. What needs to be explained is if the game is at the printer and it is still being devloped and play tested, then something is not right.

All I ask is for some honesty. If the game is delayed, then let your fans and customers know that it is being pushed back.

I am tired of companies (not just board game publishers) putting the cart before the horse. Quit setting unattainable goals. If I did the same thing in the industry I work for, I would not be working anymore....

I am just frustrated because it seems to be happening to every product I am waiting to be released and I'm tired of half-hearted customer service.

Fair enough, they could be more specific certainly. Thaad did say they would be posting more info on the site soon, I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
Kapiti Gaming Basterds - Leave your conscience and scruples at the door. Pants optional.
badge
Give me Ameritrash - or give me death.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the response from FFG was perfectly fine. Using the phrase "expected by" is far from offering up a definitive release date. All manner of unforseen circumstances can delay the release and I don't think FFG is obliged to advise us of every adverse incident along the way. But I would rather FFG provide an "expected by" timeframe than none at all. A little patience is in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure who you think you are, but you are missing the point. It is not about the release date as it is the honesty. It is not about the lack of patience as it is the lack of information.

It took a private email to customer service to get an update as we see other games fly by. Product management is lacking.

The point is, why put a time frame on a product release that has not been developed, as what was stated in that email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Stein
Germany
Neumarkt
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmb

There will be more info on our website in the coming weeks..

Well... i hope "weeks" will not turn into "month" again this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think its fair to get upset at FFG for something WE forced them to do.

I defintily believe the community forced thier hand to announce FoTB with threads like this one: Tide Of Iron: Discontinued?

A similar one showed up on the FFG forums as well.

So here we are, crying out that ToI is "Dead" because we have not heard anything in awhile and when FFG finally comes forward and says, "No, look! This is whats next!", to quash the false rumors, we cry out because they told us too early that something was coming in the future!

Will we never be satisfied? FFG how can you put up with us!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Stein
Germany
Neumarkt
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grant Batt is probably somewhat right, but i'm still upset :O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
Kapiti Gaming Basterds - Leave your conscience and scruples at the door. Pants optional.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdw3 wrote:
Not sure who you think you are, but you are missing the point.

I would argue that you don't really have one. As for who I am, I'm just a BGG user who is a little sick and tired of reading petty internet snipes directed at a company who makes really great games and in my experience provides great customer service. Call me a fanboy if you like, but I'm just a little more forgiving of a slight delay in production. Hey, the communication could have been better I suppose, but it hardly seems worth mentioning to me. Just my opinion. And I still think you're reading way more into the words "expected by" than anyone else is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a point and that point is not that production is being delayed or that the release date is pushed back... The point is that some of us have pre-ordered this game.

Our money has been spent.

Considering this is not a P-500 type release, and the original posted release date is "expected by summer '10"... I think it is fair to expect an update from FFG to let us know there will be a delay. Instead we have to find out from someone who personally emailed customer service that the game is still being play tested.

As a user of BBG and a customer of FFG, I have every right to post "petty internet snipes" at a company that I feel provides poor customer service. If you don't like it, don't read it, instead of getting on the forums and insulting people because their views don't match yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
And where did you pre-order this from? Certainly not from FFG.

So by your logic it is FFG's fault that online retailers are jumping the gun saying "BUY HERE!", "PRE-ORDER NOW!", "Hurry, Hurry, Hurry, to make sure you get a copy before they are all gone!!", before FFG has even given a solid release date!? And it's FFG's fault that YOU fell for all that hype and spent your money before FFG gave a definitive date?

I agree that FFG could have been a little more forthcoming about the production delays, but I don't think we have any right to get all fussy over it. You are the one who decided to pre-spend your money on this for, who-knows-what, reason. I don't pity you at all dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the love of God! I am not looking for pity and you agreed with what my original point was...

Quote:
I agree that FFG could have been a little more forthcoming about the production delays

That is all I wanted.

I am not blaming FFG for my early purchase, I know that is my fault for "jumping the gun".

All I was asking if for better customer relations from FFG or for "FFG to be a little more forthcoming about the production delays".

When their RSS feed says it is "At The Printer", it makes you wonder why they are still play testing then?
That original email from customer service to jesters_race says it all:
Quote:
We just broke from tradition a bit, and announced it
a bit earlier into the development process than normal

Fine, that is FFG choice as a company, but how about you let your "public" know. If FFG does not intend on keeping customers up to date with their upcoming products, then why do they have a page on their site dedcated to it as well as and RSS feed meant display the latest information, fed by FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdw3 wrote:
As a user of BBG and a customer of FFG, I have every right to post "petty internet snipes" at a company that I feel provides poor customer service. If you don't like it, don't read it, instead of getting on the forums and insulting people because their views don't match yours.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to respond with mine. My initial post was 100% inoffensive except for the fact that I disagreed with you. There was no requirement for you to provoke with an passive-aggressive reply crafted to shut me down with the opening words "Not sure who you think you are...".

Happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight Games has posted a new Tide of Iron: Fury of the Bear preview on their website: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1562
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to respond with mine. My initial post was 100% inoffensive except for the fact that I disagreed with you. There was no requirement for you to provoke with an passive-aggressive reply crafted to shut me down with the opening words "Not sure who you think you are...".

Happy gaming.

Bull. Your little blurb, " A little patience is in order.", suggests that I (we) are impatient, a negative quality, and therefore an insult. Your entitled opinion was the first to take an attack approach to anyone on this forum. And the my comment, "Not sure who you think you are...", was a direct repsonse to that comment, meaning who are you demand that we possess patience in this matter. Perhaps the words, "I think a little patience is in order.", would have been less demanding.

Think what you will.

Happy gaming to you as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Vandelay
msg tools
Here's a little solution to your issues, if you don't like they way FFG does business then don't buy the game. End of story.The game will get here when it gets here.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We thank you for your input. I personally will take that into consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Art Vandelay wrote:
Here's a little solution to your issues, if you don't like they way FFG does business then don't buy the game. End of story.The game will get here when it gets here.

Happy gaming!

I like FFG products and plan on buying them into the near future but sometimes I wonder if they alienate some of their games' fans because their catalog has grown so huge that it has slowed down production in general(in terms of individual lines of product). In other words, they have so many games, and have added so much to their catalog through the acquisition of smaller game companies(and collaboration with them) that some of their older, "bread and butter" lines(such as ToI) become back burner concerns to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.