Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Real money for geekgold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Kimball
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, in this very journal, I will hold a reverse auction for geekgold. Here is the deal: I want ten (10) geekgold. You will post a response here for how much real money you are willing to accept from me in exchange for your ten geekgold. Twenty-four hours after this journal entry is posted, I will accept the lowest bid and will pay that much via PayPal to the bidder in exchange for his ten geekgold. I will start the bidding at $20.00 USD. I expect the first person to post here will post a bid of $20.00, and subsequent bids will be lower. As an added incentive, I will donate the surplus of my $20.00 to BoardGameGeek. For example, if you post the lowest bid, and the bid is $5.00, I will send $5.00 to you for your geekgold, and I will donate $15.00 to BGG.

My PayPal account has been connected with my real bank account, so I don't think you need to be a merchant or whatever to receive my payment.

If I knew more about economics, I could make up some bogus story about how this tests the geekgold economy and helps estabilish an exchange rate which proves the true value of geekgold to those on the website. I wish I could make up such a story, so I wouldn't have to tell you that really I just want to get an avatar and I'm kinda lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'll give you 10 gg for free ( or bag ) if you give $20 to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kimball
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll give you 10 gg for free ( or bag ) if you give $20 to BGG.

I think we have a winner. Does this mean Geekgold has no value? Or did I taint the experiement by promising to donate the rest to BGG?

In any case, sure, I'll donate $20.00 to BGG if you give me 10 gg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Taint had something to do with it. hee hee, i said taint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
GG definitely has value, but the value BGG provides to the entire community outweighs the value it might have to certain individuals. Kudos to skelebone for his altruistic and selfless act in the name of Geek Goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kimball
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that was quick. Skelebone has gifted me 10 gold, and I have donated $20.00 to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
A golden camel award goldencamel to skelebone for turning this whole shabby affair around to the positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kimball
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shabby? Shabby?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yeah, I happen to be one of those who believe that you should earn your GG by actually contributing some content to the site.

I have to give you cedit for at least offering to donate some of your cash though, that's what made me choose the word shabby instead of sleazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and i was ready to ask for $1000 for my 10

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damn i should have made this post before i donated a couple days ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:

OK, you've converted me, I'll take em.

Give me a few years to come up with the cash though, can I have them in advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

OK, you've converted me, I'll take em.

Give me a few years to come up with the cash though, can I have them in advance?

Sure, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
Sure, why not?

I obviously took the joke too far, I hope you will allow me to return your GG and bow out gracefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...
This transaction greatly raises the average cost of a GG that I've been tracking. Granted this is only the 4th cash transaction that I know of, but before the average exchange rate was:

1gg = 0.29 US Dollars

With this "$2 for every 1gg" exchange, the average increases to:

1gg = 0.72 US Dollars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kimball
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah, I happen to be one of those who believe that you should earn your GG by actually contributing some content to the site.

I have to give you cedit for at least offering to donate some of your cash though, that's what made me choose the word shabby instead of sleazy.

Wow. I don't understand you people with your "you shouldn't pay money for geekgold" and your "you shouldn't pay money for sex."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
Sure, why not?

I obviously took the joke too far, I hope you will allow me to return your GG and bow out gracefully.

I got the joke, don't worry!

I have more than i need so i can donate some... and help you buy a badge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Alexander
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Quote:
Wow. I don't understand you people with your "you shouldn't pay money for geekgold" and your "you shouldn't pay money for sex."

Well, how else are you supposed to get it?

Uhhh, geekgold I mean...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Barbee
United States
Milwaukie
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
and help you buy a badge

Wow, thanks!

Quote:
"you shouldn't pay money for sex."

Let's not go too far now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its trading sex for GG that has me concerned....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we're talking, baby! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sex for GG?

I'm predicting a large swell of session reports,pics and reviews. Let's see...650 pictures of Carcassonne...ya...that'll do ...one of every tile with and without meeples on them...get some of Big Bubba in there...yes he sure is BIG isn't he.

How about some Tic-Tac-Toe session reports...

Oooh had a thrilling game last night that still raises my heartbeat just thinking of it...enemy exploded with an sabre slashing X from what seemed out of nowhere...I quickly retaliated with an O in the middle for a block...it was close right till the end...the battle was fast and hard...X......O......X and yet another O...blow after crushing blow...tit for tat...pressure all the way and when the (pencil)lead finally stopped flying...we amazingly had stalemated to a draw after my opponent retaliated with a final crushing X on the right flank. Beads of sweat were falling like Coca Cola down an icy glass...actually that was the Coca Cola but it did look like sweat would look if it were on my forehead I bet.

I've got loads of other intense session reports...

Tales of the grease-like slippery slopes of Snakes and Ladders...Oh how you mock me Python of misery...yet the rush from the ascension to nirvana from the ladders makes it all worth while and keeps me comimg back for more..more...MORE.

Theres more...

The never-to-be-forgotten night when I needed B9 in bingo for a blackout that stubbornly refused to come up number after number...every letter of the alphabet(well 4 or 5 anyway) seemed to echo through the tension filled room...and then from the smokey depths of the bingo hall...a squeaky yet bold B-I-N-G-O screamed out from ...yes Granny Anderson was extra lucky that night...the gaming gods were with her...now she can get that hip she has wanted for so long.

Ahh yes...GG for sex is what will pull out BGG from underneath and pump it on up and over the top. This mission will be a hard one to beat for sure.

Now we just need to get some pics in everyone's profiles...gives a new meaning to rate the pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd like to think that I didn't kill the -$$ exchange rate by valuing as worthless, but rather I skewed it slightly because the actual money was going to BGG itself.

As for for sex... well Derk did just announce a possible BGG convention in November .. start hoarding that conventioneers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As for for sex... well Derk did just announce a possible BGG convention in November .. start hoarding that conventioneers!

I'm sorry, that was "hoarding" you said right? Phew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SEX for GG???!!!???
Wow. I think we've finally hit on the greatest value I could possibly realize from the 'Geek yet...

Aldie's married, so he can't participate!

In the words of Daffy Duck in that Ali Baba cartoon... "I'm rich, I'm rich, I'm independantly wealthy!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.