10 Posts

Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game» Forums » General

Subject: Promo figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Sarcasmo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does anybody know yet if the promo figs (alternate colours) have a purpose, like the red Grave Dead from LNOE, or if they're just different colours? Also, does anybody (Jason!) know if said promos will be released to pre-orderers who were not at Gencon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan K
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an answer to your first question, but the promos are currently available with pre-orders. From the Flying Frog Webstore:

"The Invasion From Outer Space Pre-Order Pack includes exclusive Martian Champion Figures in Red: The Zard Beast and the Martian Leader. We will also include two alternate image promo cards and two exclusive 1" buttons with your order. These exclusive promotional items are only for this pre-order pack. The Pre-order pack is only available on the Official FFP Webstore until September 25th or while supplies last."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Lamb
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
They don't serve any purpose in the printed rules, much like the purple/black/etc. zombies available from the web store. But they could be fun for homebrew scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Sarcasmo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I wrote that question within hours of the preorder being released (and yes, I've happily preordered). Must have sensed something in the wind. I am still curious, though, if there'll be any "official" use for the red figs (again, like the red Grave Dead) or if they're just a treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take is that they're just promo until the expansion. Which will probably raise the baddie count by another group (the way Growing Hunger raised the zombie count from 14 to 21)

I also used my promo to "test paint" a color scheme. I wanted something that was quick and easy and wouldn't take me forever since I have the habit of adding too much detail for rank and file troops. I'm kinda sad that there won't be 2 more of each included as I think there's a dark blue Martian Leader and Dark Blue Zard included with the box set. Just means I can only use one of the variations I had planned.

My test painting was sort of a "habit" from my old 40k days. If I was curious how something was going to turn out I usually painted a rank and file troop to see if I liked what came of the scheme. If I didn't...well time to strip it and start again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Sarcasmo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talisman_stl wrote:
At Gencon, one of the designers told me they are to be used as 'super-aliens' much like the red zombies are in LNOE. Not sure if they are used in every game or points have to be used to add them in like in Growing Hunger.

This is what I was afraid of. I can accept their alt-art cards because they're extras of cards you already have. However, when "promo" items have a definite purpose (ie, red Grave Dead, and maybe these Martians) and they're one-time releases, I've got more of a problem with it. I mean, I've already got them, but I worry about the collectors who will miss this promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you'll find the figures will be made available in the future, much like the alternate colour zombies available now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

I'm afraid you got some misinformation. The Promo Red Martian Leader and Zard Beast DO NOT have any special rules or use in the game, they are purely a color variation. If and when we ever do have special 'rules' or abilities for using them in game, they would be made widely available through the official webstore.

These are very much intended to be the miniature equivilant to 'Alternate Image' cards.

Thanks,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jchill7 wrote:

I'm afraid you got some misinformation. The Promo Red Martian Leader and Zard Beast DO NOT have any special rules or use in the game, they are purely a color variation. If and when we ever do have special 'rules' or abilities for using them in game, they would be made widely available through the official webstore.

These are very much intended to be the miniature equivilant to 'Alternate Image' cards.

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks for the clarificatin, Jason. I didn't think it sounded like you guys, but it's still nice to get an official word from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying, Jason. It's always good to know you maintain a fan friendly attitude with promos. While they are fun to have, they don't make or break the game. thumbsup cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.