Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just read through the rules in the Initiation Damocles set. One of the final things that gets talked about is the use of Leadership Points. One use of Leadership points is that "a unit without an officer" costs 1 LP to activate.

However, earlier in the book, a clear procedure is given as to what to do if an officer is killed. It seems to me therefore that a unit is never without an officer - so under what circumstances would I need to spend the 1 LP?

I assume that there is something I've missed. Can anyone help out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Richards
United Kingdom
Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve

The rules aren't always easy to follow due to the translation, you're not alone

Leaders and officers are two different things.

My understanding is as follows

An oficer is a figure whos card has chevorns (a ranked unit) a leader is basically a squad leader. The leader is an officer if there is one in the unit, if not you designate a figure to be a leader (you usually get a leader figure in a unit box). There is always a leader in the squad but not always an officer. If your current leader or officer is killed then you designate another member of the unit to become leader. If the leader is a officer and is killed you do not replace the officer with another officer but a regular leader.

If there is an officer present as the leader in the unit then the unit costs nothing to activate. if there is no officer then the unit costs 1LP to activate. (page 57 of the rule book) if you have no LP left then you cannot activate that unit.

This works different for some races though. For instance, the Therians have relays that allow you to activate a unit for free without an officer being present as not all of their units can contain leaders.

Hope that helps

C

Edit: for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mach1na wrote:
Leaders and officers are two different things...

Craig

Thank you very much for sorting that out. The quoted sentence was the key point. So a unit will always have a Leader but may or may not have an Officer. I don't have the full rule book - I only got the Damocles set a few days ago. I'm still contemplating whether or not this is something I want to get deeper into. Certainly the 6 starter missions seem quite entertaining.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Rackham moves toward a 2nd edition of the game, they've posted the 1st edition rulebook online. Go to http://games.rackham-e.com/en/at-43/game-aids/rules and scroll down to "AT-43 Rulebook." Reading that may help you decide if you want to go into this further.

Speaking for myself, I like the miniatures and the fact that I don't have to paint them. I figure that I can always use the minis with other rules (such as Stargrunt II) as well as AT-43.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I bought the Damocles set from a shop in Germany. He said that Rackham had gone under and that the game was no longer going to be produced/supported. I thought that put me under a bit of pressure to make a decision (before all the available stuff got sold out). I too like the fact that the miniatures were pre-painted.

Did I get bad information?

Have any of you guys tried "Infinity"? (The Nuremberg guy was saying good things about that game). I saw a couple of videos and it looked quite interesting, particularly the "reaction" rules (I think they call them AROs). I note these miniatures are unpainted, however.

I am looking for something that is less dice heavy and fiddly than Warhammer 40K. We tried that but got bogged down in endless rules discussions/reading/re-reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you were misinformed. Rackham (now Rackham Entertainment) is trying to launch v2.0 and plans for it to be released sometime 4th Q this year.

http://studio.rackham-e.com/en/content/43-new-edition

A lot of the origional 3 army's units are sold out so you wull have to download the army book (in the same place you DL the rulebook) of the army you want and see what units you would need and if they are availabe.

Units should be getting a reprint but RE is not giving up too many details as to what will be released whith the launche of v2.0.

I would keep a watchfull eye open for ebay armies at the very least. That will be your best bet to nab the OOP figures, for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.