Popular Tags: argumentum_ad_hows_boots [+] [View All]
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there RSP, this is my first foray into your realm.

I've been asked to move this conversation to RSP, since it seems to be clogging up the geeklist. I seem to have sparked a fairly long debate with the following statement:

Fretzy wrote:
I find it important to call attention to the fact that atheism is, in actuality, a faith based system of belief.

Since the initial post I've modified the statement (for various semantic reasons) to the following:

Fretzy wrote:
Atheists and theists share a dilemma; Neither group can back up what they believe with empirical evidence.

I feel that these statements mirror one another, however I am curious to see how you RSPers feel.

Please excuse me if this is a topic which has been recently discussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been pounded to death here.

The problem is the negative proof.

Atheists have nothing they need to positively prove. You cannot prove that there is NO grain of sand in the world that looks exactly like Nixon. But if you find one, you CAN prove it. Burden is on the positive.

Is it a faith? In many, merely an indifference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
One has faith the unknowable will eventually be knowable. The other has faith that unknowable is that way on purpose and will never be knowable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Atheists have nothing they need to positively prove. You cannot prove that there is NO grain of sand in the world that looks exactly like Nixon. But if you find one, you CAN prove it. Burden is on the positive.

Well, that was a short thread. Next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Or to put it another way: I can't prove that the tooth fairy doesn't exist. But I will choose to live my life as if he didn't until someone can offer me proof that he does.

If I acted in the opposite way: Believing in the tooth fairy because there was not proof that he didn't exist, people would call me insane. I would also have no reason not to believe in every other god and mythical creature that was ever written (or not written) about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
Atheists and theists share a dilemma; Neither group can back up what they believe with empirical evidence.

What do you think the atheists are claiming? I think the atheists are claiming that the theists can't back up their claims with empirical evidence. It would seem you should agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
There are also some atheists who believe that God (at least certain popular conceptions of God) is logically impossible. Evidence is irrelevant in this case.

Similarly, the existence of even a single individual killed by an unpreventable natural disaster who has made no morally significant free choices causes severe problems for some notions of God. The evidence requirements for such arguments are minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

It seems that even without positive proof the matter still falls to faith...

I'm trying to think about it in the context of the way things would have been before gravity was defined. People noticed that objects were pulled toward the ground, but without proof one had to take it on faith that the fall would occur. Perhaps some had faith that one day the opposite would happen.

A number 7 atheist states that there is no greater being in the entirety of the universe which could have been responsible for our existence (or the existence of the primordial ooze which eventually evolved into homo sapiens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
but without proof one had to take it on faith that the fall would occur.

There was proof.

Let go.

Fall.

ta da.

It just wasn't named yet. Nothing to prove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
A number 7 atheist

What is a numbered atheist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
It seems that even without positive proof the matter still falls to faith...

Do you have faith the Cthulhu is not perched atop your building while wearing overalls and a sants hat as he bursts into a chorus of 'O Solo Mio'?

Is there any reason to assume that he's really there?

Or can you just go look out the window?

It is only without positive proof that something must be taken on faith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Fretzy wrote:
A number 7 atheist

Dawkins defined a belief scale. Google it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Fretzy wrote:
A number 7 atheist

Dawkins defined a belief scale. Google it.

OK, everyone here is familiar with the scale, we just never referred to people as numbers.

Why did you bring it up? You just made a statement with no real direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:

I'm trying to think about it in the context of the way things would have been before gravity was defined. People noticed that objects were pulled toward the ground, but without proof one had to take it on faith that the fall would occur. Perhaps some had faith that one day the opposite would happen.

Extrapolation of a general principle from a finite number of observations is called induction. Much of our knowledge is inductive in this way. We make observations, we fit them to a pattern, we expect the pattern to continue. That's a simplistic formulation of the way our beliefs work but not so bad.

The point is that when we believe things this way we believe them in proportion to the amount of evidence in support of the beliefs. We believe the sun will rise tomorrow with an extrememly high confidence because the model we have for sunrises is extremely robust and is consilient with many other fields of knowledge. In a certain sense you could say that we have "faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow. I mean, it could be that conservation of angular momentum will cease operating and the Earth will stop spinning while our side of it faces away from the sun (ironically, this wouldn't do away with sunrises, it would just make them happen once per year), but this is really a small kind of faith to have. It amounts to not much more faith than that which is required to dismiss Last Thursdayism.

Religious belief, however, is different. We do not hold it in proportion to the amount of empirical evidence in its favor. In fact, it is even possible to hold religious beleif despite evidence to the contrary. For example, there is simply no evidence that we are reincarnated from a past life, or that we will be reincarnated in a future life. Yet plenty of people believe this. Entire theologies are devoted to studying this concept. I would argue that this is a big kind of "Faith" at work. Belief in the absense of, or despite, evidence.

So, no, I don't think atheism requires the same kind of faith as theism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This issue really seems to have you in an uproar. I've met some rabid theists in my day, but wow...

Geosphere wrote:

Having not observed sonething is a poor reason to exclude its possiblity.

I do not believe that there are any other planets in our solar system, and because of my belief I will not go looking for them.

To me, as an agnostic, divesting oneself of the burden of proof seems like an easy way to get out of working toward a better understanding of a complex issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
This issue really seems to have you in an uproar. I've met some rabid theists in my day, but wow...

Geosphere wrote:

I do not believe that there are any other planets in our solar system, and because of my belief I will not go looking for them.

I didn't say it was not looked for.

It is not found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:

Geosphere wrote:

To me, as an agnostic, divesting oneself of the burden of proof seems like an easy way to get out of working toward a better understanding of a complex issue.

Do you believe in Odin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
So, no, I don't think atheism requires the same kind of faith as theism.

I think I missed the part of the definition of faith where it was seperated into different levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Do you believe in Odin?

As far as odin goes, I remain an agnostic. I have seen no proof, and no disproof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
Do you believe in Odin?

As far as odin goes, I remain an agnostic. I have seen no proof, and no disproof.

How about Santa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
How about Santa?

Santa is not a god, however I see where you are going. I believe that Nicholas of Myra existed, and that his actions created a fable that people strive to continue to this day. Apples to Oranges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I didn't say it was not looked for.

It is not found.

You are beginning to confuse me. "It is not found." or "It is not yet found."?

Are you saying that Atheists continue to look for a god? They believe that there is not one, and yet they continue to search for his existence? That rings of agnosticism to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:

Welcome to RSP. and I think some people are simply finding your line of reasoning to be less than rigorous.

Fretzy wrote:

It only seems complex because you choose to make it so.

Just because there is no proof for something doesn't require a lifetime spent searching for answers. There's no proof that you have an 11th invisible finger -- will you apply the same effort determining if you do or not as you choose to spend on the question of God? If not, aren't you taking the convenient way out of working toward a better understanding of this complex eleven finger issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
How about Santa?

Santa is not a god, however I see where you are going. I believe that Nicholas of Myra existed, and that his actions created a fable that people strive to continue to this day. Apples to Oranges.

But do you, as a person, believe there is a a magical fat man living at the North Pole with his plucky sidekicks, and who has this reward/punishment system? Certainly there are millions of people who do believe in this. This idea of his existance is reinforced to these people by society.

I'm guessing the answer is "no". How much does this lack of belief in Santa Claus influence your life? How many decisions are dictated by your lack of belief? Outside of when he's brought up by someone else, how often do you even think about Santa Claus?

YOu call youself agnostist on Odin. So the same questions can be applied? How much does this non-100% belief in Odin influence your life? How many decisions are dictated by your non 100%belief? Outside of when he's brought up by someone else, how often do you even think about Odin? Do you worry that your non-100% worship of Odin, following Odin's requirements, are leading you astray?

This isn't a trick question. You want to know why Atheism isn't a belief. The easiest way to demonstrate that is through an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
Do you believe in Odin?

Have fun with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.