Subject: Geeklists - allow users to change sort method rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Please allow users to change the sort method when viewing a Geeklist.

For example:
The geeklist "Essen 2010 Canonical List" is wonderful. The GL creator choose alphabetical sorting, which is fine. But after Essen, I would love to be able to set it to sort by rating, to see at a glance which games are rated highest.

This would be useful for all geeklists (the ones really about games, at least).

If this feature already exits, please tell me how to do it. Doesn't seem like you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or by date addded, so I can go to the end (or beginnnig to see all the new entries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see your reasoning but I do think that it is important for the geeklist creator to be able to decide how a geeklist is viewed since position in the list can change number of viewers and how the list reads etc.

I do think it would be a useful option to select when creating a GL though "allow users to resort Geeklist" But it would obviously have to still default to the way the original sort was entered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenny, I assume the OP meant to change the sort just for the individual user, and only for that session. This would have no effect on anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed it too. However, with recommendations it is better if things aren't assumed since not everyone always arrives at the same assumption. So I pointed it out.

EDIT: I also think the Geeklist creator should have the power to not let anyone resort the list for themselves even if it is just for that specific users session. It should be an option they can use, but they should be able to hold a geeklist in the same sort of order/sort for everyone since it is their geeklist and they are determining how it should be read. That was really what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This suggestion has come up many times before, and when it does I always hope that it's finally implemented. I, for one, would find this feature extremely useful. But alas, it always seems to derail when someone posts something like this:

kvenosdel wrote:
EDIT: I also think the Geeklist creator should have the power to not let anyone resort the list for themselves even if it is just for that specific users session. It should be an option they can use, but they should be able to hold a geeklist in the same sort of order/sort for everyone since it is their geeklist and they are determining how it should be read. That was really what I meant.

But I gotta ask (again) why? Why should it matter one whit how someone consumes the list? If it's more convenient for someone to digest the list by reverse number of owners (or whatever) how does that impact the list creator at all? Because it's presented in a way he didn't "approve"? To be blunt, so what? The original creator won't even know. Why deny someone something of usefulness just because the original submitter didn't think of different, interesting ways to view the data?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Meat wrote:
This suggestion has come up many times before, and when it does I always hope that it's finally implemented. I, for one, would find this feature extremely useful. But alas, it always seems to derail when someone posts something like this:

kvenosdel wrote:

But I gotta ask (again) why? Why should it matter one whit how someone consumes the list? If it's more convenient for someone to digest the list by reverse number of owners (or whatever) how does that impact the list creator at all? Because it's presented in a way he didn't "approve"? To be blunt, so what? The original creator won't even know. Why deny someone something of usefulness just because the original submitter didn't think of different, interesting ways to view the data?
I agree with you.

Although it's true that for some geeklists (e.g. "My Journey from Newbie to Euro-Snoot in Six Short Months") the order does matter.

If this is an issue to people, then maybe an option could be created to have the list pop up in a "custom sort view" window that shows only the game titles and relevant stats for the games such as rating, etc. all in a compact table format. The user could sort this window any way they wanted, then close it and the original geeklist would be unscathed. The purpose of all this would be to focus on the games in the list, without the "fluff," visitor comments. Etc.

The same end could be served if you were allowed to export the contents of a geeklist to an Excel-friendly .csv file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Please allow users to change the sort method when viewing a Geeklist.

For example:
The geeklist "Essen 2010 Canonical List" is wonderful. The GL creator choose alphabetical sorting, which is fine. But after Essen, I would love to be able to set it to sort by rating, to see at a glance which games are rated highest.

This would be useful for all geeklists (the ones really about games, at least).

If this feature already exits, please tell me how to do it. Doesn't seem like you can.
Please.

ekted wrote:
Or by date addded, so I can go to the end (or beginnnig to see all the new entries).
Absolutely...this wish has come up for me more often than by rankings.

ekted wrote:
Kenny, I assume the OP meant to change the sort just for the individual user, and only for that session. This would have no effect on anyone else.
For sure. And definitely have the ability to re-sort into original order.

tesuji wrote:
If this is an issue to people, then maybe an option could be created to have the list pop up in a "custom sort view" window that shows only the game titles and relevant stats for the games such as rating, etc. all in a compact table format. The user could sort this window any way they wanted, then close it and the original geeklist would be unscathed. The purpose of all this would be to focus on the games in the list, without the "fluff," visitor comments. Etc.
I would also love this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb

Bump!

This geeklist is a perfect example of something I want to sort by date instead of alphabetically:

The Dice Tower Video Reviews of 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Sherman
United States
Neenah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump again! Please implement a way to sory, there are great ones line 'Plano, o how I love thee'. Id like to sort by newest so I can see some new added, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Sullivan
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/161427/gen-con-2014-pr...

Would be a good one, He has added entries since the first go around, I have read the list in the past and want to see the new entries. Another vote for this feature!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't really thought about this, but this would greatly enhance my user experience here.

I often just skip geeklists where I know that finding the information I want is harder than I care about doing for the information in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maranos
msg tools
Here is another example where it would be really useful to sort the list by upvotes:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/114907/proposed-boardgamea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark downie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great idea. Like other users I find it difficult to locate the information I want in some geeklists. I an regularly checking this geeklist fur updates http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72020/android-versions-act... I have found that if I 'show titles only' then scan down looking for recent dates I can use the list a little better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew O'Malley
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump again!

I want to look through the 2015 Essen list, but it's so long that I'd love to be able to re-sort a few ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often wish I could see Geeklist entries sorted by date, often its much more useful than alphabetically. This is the feature I've wished for more than any other on BGG. Maybe other sort methods would be good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vgambit
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't I sort geeklists by whatever, years after this feature was requested? Sorting lists seems like a fundamental feature for any application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vgambit wrote:
Why can't I sort geeklists by whatever, years after this feature was requested? Sorting lists seems like a fundamental feature for any application.

You can export the list as xml using the xml api, then roll your own application in the programming language of your choice to sort the list, then create an xml stylesheet, with some javascript, to try to stuff it all back into a BGG-looking webpage.

I kid. It's ridiculous that you can't sort geeklists in whichever way you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should definitely be a way to sort a list by rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we are 8 years after the request was made and I find this while looking for a way to sort geeklists. Add me as one more person who would like the feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://mcdemarco.net/games/bgg/geeklist.html

Someone posted this on a thread I once read. I immediately bookmarked it. Open it in a new tab and paste the GL number into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
http://mcdemarco.net/games/bgg/geeklist.html

Someone posted this on a thread I once read. I immediately bookmarked it. Open it in a new tab and paste the GL number into it.
Thanks. I found that and it’s pretty neat, but I haven’t been able to use it to sort large geeklists (500+ items) by rank or number of votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:

kvenosdel wrote:

There are some legit reasons where order could matter..

1) March Madness where the GL mimics the "bracket style" overlay

#1 slot is pitted against #2. #3 vs. #4, etc.
#25 is a placeholder so that the next two can be on the same page (#26 and #27, as opposed to #25 on page one, and then going to #26 on page two)

If the user forgets to sort it by creator specified order, it'll throw off the comparisons, or make it more confusing

They do list the pairings in the GLs though. For example #1 Game A will state in its body:
Game A
vs.
Game B

2) Geeklists that tell a story
May cause confusion if wrong order is presented
However, one was always free to "sequence jump" anyways

In either case, I'm STILL for allowing GL viewers to re-sort the lists. It's VERY helpful when you want to know what the most recent additions are. The Subscription service will highlight the new comments and GL entries, but I'd like more control over that. Clicking on the "Next notification" button doesn't really help since it also covers plenty of non-GL content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And again, respectfully, so the gibberish what?

I don't care how the author intended that I comsume the list, and as a list author I don't give a flying fart how anyone reads mine.

If I choose to sort a list and suddenly it makes no sense, that's on me.

If someone finds a more useful way to consume a list I created that I've never contemplated, good on him.

There are many ways to usefully sort the vast majority of geeklists, but we are stuck with whatever the list creator selected. And all because a small number of lists won't make sense if the reader reads them out of order? That's crazy.

Here's the thing. I can already read any list in any order I want. I can jump to each item independently. Damn, I just went against the list authors desire! Oh dear!

Or I can use the API and write my own browser plugin to do this. But I shouldn't need to. It's a simple change that BGG can make that would be useful to some users. The only question is how many users, and is it enough usres to make the effort worthwhile.

By the fact that this request has been ignored every time it's been raised, sadly, the only conclusion is that, simple as it would be to implement, it's deemed not to be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls