Subject: Fun Subjective Survey: Best Unit Card For Each Faction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
So, in your humble (or possibly arrogant) opinion, what is each race's best Unit card? Format is as follows:

CHAOS: -card name-
DWARF: -card name-
EMPIRE: -card name-
ORC: -card name-

...and if you want to:

DARK ELF: -card name-
HIGH ELF: -card name-

GO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CHAOS: Lord of Change
DWARF: Slayers of Karak Kadrin
EMPIRE: Wilhelm of the Osterknacht
ORC: Spider Riders
DARK ELF: Vile Sorceress
HIGH ELF: Illyriel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Van Osselaer
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't have all the packs yet (don't have skavenblight threat or any of the new packs (enemy cycle) - not yet availeble in my local game store)

CHAOS: Alluring Daemonettes (clearing some Kingdom/quest units)
EMPIRE: Thyrus Gorman (great for boosting whatever you need for a cheap price) (Wilhelm seems better, but I don't own him yet)
HIGH ELF: Caradryan (spoil enemy strategy)
DARK ELF: Lokhir Fellheart (Beware Dwarves!! ) & Malus Darkblade (which I don't own)
DWARF: Longbeards (great cost for what you get)
ORC: Urguck

@ Mike: What Unit is Lord Of Change.. Can't find it anywhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
BEST CORE SET DWARF: Mountain Brigade
For 4 cost (2 loyalty) you officially have an immovable object (6hp) in whatever zone you decide to plop them in.

WORST CORE SET DWARF: Runesmith
So it's 2 cost to get me 1 hammer and 1 hit point, and the semi-lousy ability (spend 2 resources to give a unit 1 hammer) is only activated in the Quest zone?

MOST DISAPPOINTING CORE SET DWARF: Troll Slayers
In the books/lore, troll slayers are badass dudes, but in W:I they're really only good to block, and the Battlefield +2 hammer ability would rarely take place if you aren't keen on developments there.

UNDERRATED CORE SET DWARF: Durgnar The Bold
You get attack & defense for a reasonable 3 cost (albeit 3 loyalty symbols to boot) but he also gets the nice +2 hammer kicker as the game goes on and one of your capital sections burn.

"BIG MAN ON CAMPUS" AWARD FOR CORE SET DWARF: King Kazador
The biggest little man on the mountain, if you've got the 6 cost (and the 5 loyalty) he's a tough guy to dislodge with 6 hit points, Toughness 2, and the ability to make your opponent scrounge up 3 extra resources to target him with card effects. And the 3 hammers don't hurt either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

MOST DISAPPOINTING CORE SET DWARF: Troll Slayers
In the books/lore, troll slayers are badass dudes, but in W:I they're really only good to block, and the Battlefield +2 hammer ability would rarely take place if you aren't keen on developments there.

One of the things I really like about this game is how everyone has access to the same cards, and how we use the cards is radically different. For example, I LOVE the Troll Slayers and I consider them one of the best dwarf units. In fact, they are the cornerstone of my entire Dwarf deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree that they can work, I'm just disappointed that their badassery is a bit veiled in situational themes. I was hoping for more unabashed badassery. BUT I have a feeling in the future we may see individually famous folks (Mr. Gurnisson) that put the SLAY in trollslayers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Funzleshpons wrote:
@ Mike: What Unit is Lord Of Change.. Can't find it anywhere
The Lord is in March of the Damned. He is amazing - the only problem with him is that the rest of Chaos is pretty weak compared with the dominant factions right now. Here's what he does.

6CCC
3/4. Daemon.
Players play with the top card of their decks revealed. You may play the top card of your deck as though it were in your hand.

With a big resource engine and the right deck design, he can draw you a phenomenal amount of cards. Note that you can actually develop the card on top if you can't cast it.

I strongly disagree on Troll Slayers by the way - they are pretty efficient offense at 3/3 for 3. Before Master Rune of Spite, they were the mainstay of competitive Dwarf offense. Longbeards now typically fill that role since they don't die to MRoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.